snugpak coccoon hamock sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Being as it would seem that the latest GB for this item
has been unable to get the numbers it needs,does anyone know
where else it is possible to sorce one of these/
Cheers.
C da C.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
Chris,

Noticed in another thread you were deciding between the frontline and travel hammocks. The cocoon, though brilliant, isn't best suited to them, it's well paired with open hammocks like the DD camping hammock, though it works even better again with the double size "nomads land" style hammock.

What I use with my travel hammock is the top quilt/under quilt combo you can get from here http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Hammocking.html - they were group buys designed by wanderingstar some time ago. I'm actually toying with the idea of flogging/swapping mine for a secong bivi setup, so if you're still thinking about it an a months time, give me a shout. I'm not sure though, I can't make my mind up between the cocoon and underquilt setups. The coccoon is lighter and sets up quicker. The underquilt/travel hammock is midge proof and lets you wake up with a view, which I like.

As for your original question, I doubt there's any other route to getting one (though what all the people who buy hammocks in group buys do for decent insulation I don't know). If you're minted there's always this - http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using the underblanket for a while now Chris, to be honest it's probably the best bit of bushy kit I've ever purchased. It's made autumn and winter camping so much more comfortable now.
I've always paired mine with a normal doss bag though, but just because I've already got them and didn't want to shell out for the quilt. I use a two season Vango bag most of the year and into autumn with the UB, then I up it to a four season Snugpak or Alpkit down when it gets really chilly.

Chuffed you've discovered hammocks though mate, so much better than on the deck. The only down side is you need to carry extra insulation now, spring and summer are okay with a thermarest but come winter there's the extra bulk of the UB to consider.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
make your own ;) i have with an old poncho and thermal quilt as per that thread a few weeks back. easy to make, haven't had a chance to try it out yet but the material seems plenty warm. also doubles as a poncho, a quilt, a tarp, upgrade your sleeping bag - nice and modular :D only cost like £20 all in.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Chris, I'd wholeheartedly agree with Shewie. Go for the under blanket from DD Hammocks. Mine even has a BushcraftUK logo and a Snugpak logo embroidered onto it. I used mine in anger for the first time down at Woodland Valley the other night and it was a revelation. No longer did I have to worry about slipping off the sleep mat underneath me, I could use the whole of the hammock and remained toasty and warm all night. I didn't bother zipping my sleeping bag up, I just used it as a quilt.

It would be fairly easy to knock one up yourself but nowhere near as easy as ordering one from DD Hammocks that is tried and tested. If you want to have a look at mine (careful tiger) I will have it at the next meet for certain.

All the best

Martin

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Cheers Mart. Was just keen on cutting down on the kit I have to carry!
I liked the idea of the coccon being an all in one sleeping bag and bed mat!!
Hope you are well mate,and hope to see you and the other Cats SOON!
C da C.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
So the outcome is,that these are unavailiable to buy?!
C da C.
(Thanks for the 'welcome to the club Rich! Its thanks to Ash and Martin at Natural Bushcraft!)

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
OK, if your mind is made up that you want a cocoon so be it. If you want to see one 'in the flesh', Steve Marvell has one and he lives down the road from you just over the border in Devon.

Why not give him a shout so that you can see for yourself. :)

Martin

Cheers Mart. Was just keen on cutting down on the kit I have to carry!
I liked the idea of the coccon being an all in one sleeping bag and bed mat!!
Hope you are well mate,and hope to see you and the other Cats SOON!
C da C.

Hi Chris. Just for your information regarding the coccoon.
I have one of the coccoons from the first batch and after much faffing about now have the perfect sleep system. However this sleep system includes a thermarest (650g) which I always put in the hammock base (dd travel). Others have struggled and abandoned the coccoon setup coz of 'cold spots' above but mainly below, condensation when breathing in the coccoon and general other small issues. I have overcome these issues and am glad I persevered with the coccoon. One problem does still exist for me though, that is mozzy net on the travel hammock cant be used with the coccoon system. I either have to use a seperate net or use a sleeping bag as I used to.
I have no experience with the under blanket but know of many people who swear by them.

hth

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
Others have struggled and abandoned the coccoon setup coz of 'cold spots' above but mainly below,
There's a big YMMV with this though, and my suspicion is it's down to the hammock you use. We have two cocoons, one we use with a dd camping hammock, and the other (mine) with a parachute-silk style double hammock (e.g. the nomads land one at Lakeland Bushcraft, which is the same). Cold spots have been reported with the dd one, but not with mine. Infact, I've never slept hotter. I suspect that's down to the size difference - the nomads land hammock is much bigger, wider in particular, and that presumably prevents any void being formed below. It's also single skin (and lighter) so maybe your body can heat up any air pockets below easier.

The mozzie thing is one of them, much like most bivvies, it's not going to keep them out without a mozzie net. Having said that, I never use my net, I can live with a couple of bites in the morning. And on the plus side, It's a very light setup that flies up:
IIRC
Hammock: 450g
Cocoon: 1300g (this is really from memory though)
Tarp: 750g
Slap straps: 250g
Cordage/Krabs/ti stakes: 250g
3Kg on the nose. Going with the travel hammock and quilt setup will add a kilo and a half to that.

Just out of interest, my bivi setup (similar, in the sense that there's no real gucci kit, but not cheapest of cheap either):
Rab Storm Bivi: 500g
MSR E-Wing: 200g
Stakes/guys: 100g
Alpkit Skyehigh 600 bag: 1250g
Slim Airic: 750g
2.8kg - surprising, so pretty close. Probably close in cost as well.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Someone earlier mentioned the Speer Peapod, which is my standard winter setup now.
I had a cocoon, which was great, but decided to go to down rather than synthetic.

BTW, the peapod, which provides top and bottom insulation for me down to freezing weighs the same as the Snugpak underquilt.
It's expensive, but there's so much down, 900 loft down, the best you can get, that it's worth it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Chris , I have a cocoon you can take away for a bit of a play if Steve isn't around.
Could you make it to Tiverton for a pick up??

Im in no immediate hurry for it come back as long as it does.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
A kind offer Tee-Dee,
I am down in Exeter the wkend
of the 14th if that helps?
As I recall ,you are Exeter/Topsham way?
(This whole Hammock thing is getting quite complicated!!
Hope it doesn't get heavy as well! That was always one of the joys of ground dwelling,
I could travel quite light!)
Thanks all for the advice,if anyone has more to add,please do!
My best.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE