Snugpak Blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I have a simple question...

Should I get a Snugpak Jungle blanket, and if so, which size, standard or XL?

Intended uses would be at home, have in a go bag in the car, family camping, scout camps and wild camping.

Thank you.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use one at every Summer Moot and other warm weather events - as my main bedding. also useful for all sorts of other uses, back up bedding in the real cold, winter sit mat ... I am 5'5" and use a standard with lots of room - you may prefer to go large :)

Reactions: Woody110

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I use one at every Summer Moot and other warm weather events - as my main bedding. also useful for all sorts of other uses, back up bedding in the real cold, winter sit mat ... I am 5'5" and use a standard with lots of room - you may prefer to go large :)
Thanks John, I read the review you did for them, and they do look very good. I just need to justify it to myself.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Seconded.
For the size of the bag it’s a well worth it and very versatile. I have one for unexpected stays at work and have found it very useful. I am 6’2 and can get away with the standard, but for regular use the bigger one may be better.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Might be Worth checking if there's any Costco down quilts around.
Don't know how warm the jungle blanket is but I've used the Costco in warm weather and it's probably thigh pocket sized when packed

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I do like the idea of a down filled one, but would be worried about getting it wet. I have a number of down clothing items, and I’m very careful not to get them wet. It’s also a price issue, for having something that’s just to be thrown in the landrover when in use, and then stuck in the washer, I like the idea of synthetic filling.
I never thought a blanket would be a hard decision to make!!!

Wandering Fred

Oct 1, 2018
Dorset
I've got the Snugpak Jungle Bag (same spec) - Great summer bag & opens out as a blanket as well.
Had it for about 12 years & still one of my favourite bits of kit. Pretty indestructable too.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m 5’10” and would still be torn over whether to replace my standard with an XL. The standard is fine for me, but if I wanted to wrap my feet and pull it up cozy around my sides and neck, I wonder if the XL might be better.

There was only one size when I got mine which made the decision simple. I’d certainly recommend you get one, lovely for wrapping around you at the fireside and then chucked on top of your sleeping bag (where it won’t stay, they’re a bit slippy).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have tied some paracord around a couple of marbles in the foot end of my blanket. The cords tie onto the spreader bars in my hammock and keep it in place just fine.
Naturally the cords are easily removable for other uses of the blanket :)

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Got the standard jungle blanket, utter bargain, synthetic so good if damp, plenty big enough for my short five seven frame, brilliant in summer when a bag is too hot, good as extra layer in winteretc etc. Love it.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
Before you buy look at the humble woobie(poncho liner)
My lad was gifted one of these by Fraser (Costal Survival), he uses it all the time from scout camps to hammocking at the moot, however I’m after something a little bigger.
I’m worried that the large will be too big, but for about £12 more it gives more coverage.
The boss said to just get the bigger one so she can get under it as well in the double camping chair.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I do like the idea of a down filled one, but would be worried about getting it wet. I have a number of down clothing items, and I’m very careful not to get them wet. It’s also a price issue, for having something that’s just to be thrown in the landrover when in use, and then stuck in the washer, I like the idea of synthetic filling.
I never thought a blanket would be a hard decision to make!!!

I'm not trying to sell you on one but the reason I mentioned the Costco blanket is they were like 15 quid or something ridiculous.
Getting it wet? I don't put much store in down being vulnerable to the wet tbh my sleeping bag would still be as uncomfortable wet through if it was down or synthetic and I've got my down jackets wet countless times.....Nothing really happens

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
how small does the standard pack down?

About 6”x 6” according to the websites. Mine is in a compression bag a bit longer than it is wide. It’s very small and light, bit of a magicians trick as all the fabric is pulled out. :)

has anyone used them in a rainforest?! (== is " jungle" just a name for marketing reasons or have they been developed for that type of environment...)

back in my (fortunately) long-time ago days in europe i used a poncholiner clone with fleeceliner as a lightweight solution from spring until fall.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
About 6”x 6” according to the websites. Mine is in a compression bag a bit longer than it is wide. It’s very small and light, bit of a magicians trick as all the fabric is pulled out. :)

great thanks might pick one up

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
A poncho liner can make the difference when snuggled together(4 ton truck trick) call it a placebo effect. They are up there with jack flasks….

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
+1 on the XL version I use mine like a sleeping bag + combined with a silk sleeping bag liner it works very well also use it as an over blanket in the winter at home on occasions .
ATB
James

Reactions: Woody110

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE