Snugpak all weather shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 31, 2015
cambridgeshire
Hi, I have been lurking for while on the forum (and Youtube) looking at various posts for advice on kit.

I'm going round in circles really with so many options available.

I have been looking at various tarps and in particular the Snugpak all weather shelter. I was wondering if anyone had this or had any opinions of it or better option.

Also may be worth mentioning I'm looking for compact and light as everything has to go into my Sevylor Hudson kayak for 1-2 night trips.

many thanks

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
rticle submitted by John Fenna

Magazine: BCUK
Working Title: Snugpak: All Weather Shelter
Subject Area: Reviews
Rights Granted: Text: Copyright John Fenna. First British Serial Rights only.
Photographs: Copyright John Fenna. Single use, non exclusive,
UK editorial rights only.
Date: 3 November 2011

SNUGPAK: ALL WEATHER SHELTER

A new product in their new “bushcraft” range, the Snugpak All Weather Shelter is a versatile tarp with some useful features.

Measuring approx 305cm x 305cm and weighing about 1kg, the All Weather Shelter is made from tough waterproof 210T nylon ripstop (UV resistant) with taped and sealed seams. There are reinforced webbing peg/guy points along each side (2 per side) as well as reinforced webbing peg/guy loops at each corner which also incorporate grommets. Along two of the opposite sides there are plastic snaps which allow the tarp to be turned into a tube bivi if wanted, or to allow two or more all weather shelters to be joined.

Unlike most tarps, the Snugpak All Weather Shelter is cut on the diagonal with a ridgeline of a little over 4m with 3 hanging loops externally and internally. This provides a tarp that is extremely versatile, but difficult to pitch in the ever-popular equal sided ridge – unless you pitch the tarp over your ridgeline cord, which puts a lot of wear on the tarp in high winds.

Other pitches are easy to achieve and the All Weather Shelter comes with 8 lightweight alloy tent pegs, four guy lines, stuff sacks (which proved almost impossible to get the soaking tarp back into quickly on a wet, muddy, windy morning) and come in a useful mesh-backed carrying case.

A little different to most tarps on the market, the Snugpak All Weather Shelter is fairly compact, versatile and tough, not too heavy, very practical for bushcraft activities, and costs around £53.95.

The Snugpak All Weather Shelter is available only in Olive.

For more information visit www.snugpak.com

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jan 31, 2015
cambridgeshire
I find anything less than 4x3m a bit small for poor weather hammocking.... 3x3 at the least...

Thanks for your input :)
Can I ask what you would recommend? I would like as light as possible; but don't mind it being heavier, if it needs to be, to last some time. In other words I don't want to go light and it not be robust.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My favourites are a Tatonka Poly cotton and a Bilmo Canvas tarp - both 4x3m - I do not know about the availability of the Tatonka and the Bilmo is NOT light! :)
I hear good things about the DD tarps and will be using these with groups I take out.
In my canoe I used to use a 5x5m custom tarp from Kathmandu Trekking....

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
5x5 john......i'v been to a smaller circus :D
Bet it was comfy once it was up mind

o.p, DD 3x3 tarps are a bushcraft staple and you wont go wrong for the money....thier superlight tarp is worth looking at too

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
5x5 john......i'v been to a smaller circus :D
Bet it was comfy once it was up mind

o.p, DD 3x3 tarps are a bushcraft staple and you wont go wrong for the money....thier superlight tarp is worth looking at too

Yup - and if the midgies were about I could pitch it as a totally enclosed space with an integral grounf sheet!
I still use it as a communal shelter - I can pitch it over the fire and still have room for everyone under it :)
It has almost the same dry footprint as a chute!

Jan 31, 2015
cambridgeshire
My favourites are a Tatonka Poly cotton and a Bilmo Canvas tarp - both 4x3m - I do not know about the availability of the Tatonka and the Bilmo is NOT light! :)
I hear good things about the DD tarps and will be using these with groups I take out.
In my canoe I used to use a 5x5m custom tarp from Kathmandu Trekking....

I have found a Tatonka tarp 1 Bazil 425 x 445 for around £85 do you know this model at all ?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have found a Tatonka tarp 1 Bazil 425 x 445 for around £85 do you know this model at all ?

That is big and a good price :) If I was up for a new tarp I would have a close look at that - polyester .. I prefer that to nylon... but I like poly cotton ones better (except for the price!
It seems Tamarak have the poly cotton ones

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE