Snowsled Pulk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I decided that with the good winter conditions we've had for the last couple of years to treat myself to a Pulk shell from Snowsled.

Pulk.jpg

It will allow me to transport a bit more kit out into the wilds and may even be useful or the Arctic courses next March if I can work out the flight logistics.

Pulk-haul-600.jpg

I haven’t decided yet whether to take a pulk over with me or make one over there from a cheap sledge. The latter option seems wasteful to me but ironically it may be significantly cheaper to do that, and leave it over there, than to fly one out from the UK.

Never the less, I decided to build one for use over here at least and my starting point was a Snowsled Ice Blue pulk shell.

To secure the load I added a series of loops around the edge with cargo duty parachute cord sheathed in PVC tubing from an irrigation system. The loops are big enough to grab with mittened hands and the baggage is then wrapped, burrito style, with a plastic tarp and tied down with waterproof shockcords.

The tarp incidentally has a reflective coating on the other side and will be useful as a back sheet when building lean to shelters.

The hauling ropes are connected to aluminium brackets via loops of bungee cord that act as shock absorbers and this will attach to a tump / shoulder strap rather than a harness for convenience.

Here you can see it loaded with my Crusader, Side pouches and Mountain pack with room for more if I need it.

All in all, a simple but efficient system.

Last edited:

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Excellent stuff. I've often wondered how you managed your cross-Peninne trip. Did you have something similar or did you just have it all in your pack? From the photos on your site of that bimble, the conditions looked as if you could have done with one of these.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I'd love to do the cross Pennine in winter. You'll have to give me some tips!

I regards to Arctic trip and getting it over there I wonder if you could pack everything sitting in it then place everything in one of those massive flight bags (I have one for a very large rucksack).

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice buy!

It looks to swallow all your gear very well and sits low. The sheathed cording is a genius touch and will be 'borrowed' on my build.

I can't help thinking you could improve it with a comfy chair and kettle/stove/coffee setup for downhills :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland, do you reckon we'll be walking far with all of our kit then? If so I'd have hoped a pulk would've been on the pack list! You've got me worried now!!

I asked the question - How much hiking is likely to be involved?

Ans: About 2-3KM max per day, but this could be in deep/powder snow - We will move at the pace of the slowest person. No one will be left behind, everything will be a team effort. After day 1 and 2 most movement will be in and around the camp area.

So I don't expect a lot of hiking but my kit is already squeezing into a bergan and a daypack and that's without buying food locally. Taking the weight off my back will make the snowshoes more effective and around camp a pulk can be used for shifting firewood and even snow for building.

I reckon we can do without but I can see definite advantages to taking one though.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've just worked out that it will be about £38 extra to fly the pulk out as Ski equipment.

I could pack it up to the limit of 12kg which means it could replace my second bag.

I'm guessing that buying a sledge out there would be at least £20 and then I've got to adapt it on the fly while out there...

On the other hand for about £20 extra I've got the purpose made job all ready to go.

I reckon that sounds worth doing.
541.gif

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Looks like it will work well. I use something similar. You might consider a single loop in the front. It would go behind the head and uder the arms. I use poles to space myself from the sled, and a strap is more comfy than a rope imo. This is my ice fishing rig.

icefishingsled2c.jpg

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I'm thinking of buying a surplus Finnish Defence Forces ahkio made by Sinex Oy. The smaller 160 cm long costs 20€ and the larger 200 cm one 34€ which are about 1/10 of the retail prices. The shorter one weights c. 10 kg and the longer one 12 kg.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice setup. Be aware of one thing with your tarpulin. I the cold it will tur into stiff, LOUD crinkly stuff. It will still work (even if a bit more fragile), but might be irritating. Personally I would make a tarp in polycotton or light canvas to replace it.

As to the weight specs of it and the ahkio: the higher rating means that ypu have a larger margin when it is full and thumos into a tree, if one has to transport something heavy (e.g. an unjured person). Also a longer pulk will be easier to pull under almost all conditions compared to a shorter one.

My pulk is an old Segebaden military pulk; 170 cm long and made from wood. It uses "the other" type of cover, with two poles that are rolled around each other to close the cover.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE