Snowdonia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just back from a cracking weekend in Snodonia with Teepee of this parish. We went up Thursday afternoon with the intention of climbing Tryfan on Friday. We arrived about an hour before dark.

We decided to make use of the light that was left and set off in search of a bivvy spot. We found a reasonably flat bit under milestone buttress and set up camp. A nice flat rock provided a kitchen

Bivvy bags were put out and we hunkered down for the night. A little rain came down but nothing major

We got packed up and headed off up the mountain.

There was snow on the tops and we decided the north ridge may be a bit dicey so elected to take the heather terrace. The name conjures up a vision of a nice flat terrace rising to the saddle before the summt climb. Erm its not. Plenty of scrambling all the way.

Half way up and the first buttress came into clear view. Almost vertical

Pete got a brew on the omnifuel

We reached the saddle between the south peak and the proper summit and climbed up ready to push on up

Quick fag break

The final push was exhilarating. Slippy rocks, snow and some very challenging climbing saw us up on top with great views

We came down off the top and looked at options for camping that night. We both decided we would like to get off the mountain and go and find a hammock spot for some comfy sleep

Pete knew an excellent place so we rolled up in the van and got some munch down us. Cant beat a good fry up after a hard day in the hills

Hammocks went up and it was such a clear night the tarps didn’t. We had a great star show to fall asleep to.

Temps plunged to -5 overnight and we awoke to a hard frost

With another stunning day on the cards we set off for a valley walk

We looped back round the mountain at the rear of camp with a view to coming back on a loop into camp.

Lovely colours everywhere

First view of Snowdon

We came to the turn for home and found the path pretty well gone in the bog. We went a way in and found a raised rock to have lunch but then we decided to double back and take the road home. It was a good walk but my legs were feeling the pace big time by the end.

Another dinner of sausages and eggs and I turned in early. Next day my legs were finished so Pete went up a nearby mountain while I prepped wood for the evening and generally rested my weary limbs. A little mooch next day saw some nice views

We went to Joe Browns, had a brew looking out from the car park

Dropped some cash in Joe’s and then again in Cotswold Rock Bottom where I got some very cheap merino boxers and long johns. We stopped off for a greasy spoon and went on home.

Great trip and a big thanks to Pete for getting me up 3000ft of solid rock.

Gear was split into 2 bags, 1 for the mountain and one for hammocking.

My mountain pack was as follows

Buugaboo II bivy bag
Xtherm mat
Lamina 20f synthetic bag
Polycryo ground sheet
Water filter – sawyer
Spare fleece layer (unused)
Golite down jacket
Thick wool socks (sleeping)
Food – dried rats and flap jacks
Water – 3l carried
1.4l ti pot
Brew kit
Dump kit
Fak.
Weight was around 10kg when water was full

Hammock gear was

Warbonnet blackbird
Hammock gear 20f top quilt
Hammock gear under quilt
Superfly tarp

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice report looks like a top trip. Got to get myself to Wales again, cracking scenery.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - that stirred some memories!
Milestone Butress was always a favourite bivvy in the day and my favourite half day circuit was North Ridge of Tryfan, South Ridge to the col, Bristly Ridge, Cantilever, Castle of the Winds, Cribin Ridge (or Devils Kitchen) and back to Milestone :)
I have done that circuit countless times, in all weathers (sometimes it was a lot more than half a day) and I intend having my ashes scattered from the top of Tryfan ...when the time comes!
Thanks for posting :)

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Hi Paul. great pictures and report! It's nice to see the area in it's winter finery! Where was the hammock spot? It looks close to Capel Curig. I did some hairy climbs on Milestone buttress (Soap Gut & chimney route, I still shudder at leading through the narrows), it's certainly exposed for a bivy! As for Heather terrace, I set off for some great climbs from there, central rib etc. Really love that area, for another great walk try Pen Yr helgi Du up to Carned Llewelyn and on to Pen Yr Ole Wen before going back up the road. There's a nice exposed drop off both sides between Helgi Du and the flanks of Carned Llewelyn. Thanks for sharing!

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
You can almost see my house in one of your photos, should've called round for a brew.

1 shot willie

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2012
DEVON
Stunning pictures.

What a fantastic trip you had.

The Fag Break comment and picture made me laugh:D

Christ..........I was sucking me gums just looking at the pictures of the climb.

Great post, thanks for sharing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE