Snowdonia in February

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
I have a friend who wants to walk up to the peak in february,she has no experiance with walking up this mountain or any mountain. Do you think it is a good idea?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
What do you mean by up to the peak? Just to the hill, or actually up it? I've never been to snowdonia, but I imagine it'd be similar to the lower hills in scotland. Ice, snow, high winds, blizzards, can they navigate with just a compass? Can they read maps? Are they physically fit? Do they have decent waterproofs/boots etc? If not I'd reconsider. Is their an easy path up snowdonia, or are they going up a cliff?

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
What do you mean by up to the peak? Just to the hill, or actually up it? I've never been to snowdonia, but I imagine it'd be similar to the lower hills in scotland. Ice, snow, high winds, blizzards, can they navigate with just a compass? Can they read maps? Are they physically fit? Do they have decent waterproofs/boots etc? If not I'd reconsider. Is their an easy path up snowdonia, or are they going up a cliff?

They are going to the top, not sure if they can read maps and they are physically fit, just lack experiance.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
No. Don't go. Dangerous with no experience, weather can get very bad, if they had experience it would be fine. Rather hypocritical of me, but I climbed my first winter munro aged 12, solo, and it was off path, with no compass, and blizzard. However I did have experience of hillwalking and managed it. Thankfully now I go equipped. Experience is key.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Arth,
I get the feeling you think this is a bad idea which it is. Febuary is probably the most serious month in the UK mountains and Snowdonia is no exception to this. As Fishy said blizzards, ice, zero visability and freezing conditions. If your friend is ill equipped and inexperienced the venture maybe at best a wasted trip or at worst she maybe seriously injured or killed.
Winter mountaineering is a fantastic pastime and if your friend wants to give it a try she should go on the hill with someone who has considerable experience or the Winter Mountain Leader qualification (such as a guide). Alternativly Plas-Y-Brenin (the national mountain training centre) run intro courses here she will be equipped and guided safely.
This may seem an expensive option but can you value safety high enough?
Ta Ed

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
i did in feburary/march time back in 1985...it was covered in snow and ice ..no one to help anyone if they got in any trouble and the resuarnt was shut at the top...i was with about 25 other squaddys properly kitted out with what we needed...and we nearly lost one of the guys over the side when he was his by a strong wind.
so i would say a big NO to your friend...wait till summer when she can walk with others

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I did this years ago but not in winter, you need to learn about the mountain to beat it.

I would advise a few visits in better weather to learn the techniques and to find out your kit needs. When aquainted with it, have an experienced friend go too.

I have heard of experienced folk getting into serious trouble up there.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I gather you mean Snowdon its self, as Snowdonia is a national park which has many other peaks.
As an ex outdoor instructor who used to work in Llanberis, I would strongly advise anyone who has no experience, not to attempt the peak, especially at that time of year and especially with no experience. If they are going with someone who knows what they are doing and they have the right gear and equipment, then go for it. To just have fitness on your side and nothing else is tempting fate im afraid, and also as an ex member of a mountain rescue team, i know and have seen what goes wrong.

Please seek some advice first, and go with some one who knows what they are doing and you will have a great day.

If i am available, then i am more than willing to help

Cheers,

Paul

R

Runs for cake

The truth is people walk up Snowdon every day that have no experience whatsoever, some do it in jeans, a T shirt and I have even seen one lady in her little red dress and stillettos . Most people do it and have no problem whatsoever barring sore feet and feeling chilly. But people also die, every year, even those who have an idea what they are doing.

The Llanberis path particularly is often more like a motorway than anything else. Like an earlier poster I had an unfortunate introduction to hills, the miners path up Snowdon was my first proper hill. The chap that took me and my mate up there was experienced and promised good weather. Turned out we were on the top when hurricane Charlie hit ( 1988?) . He screwed up in that respect but got us off the hill safely because he knew how to.

If your friend went up they would probably be ok, probably being the operative word. Far better though to wait until she has good weather and to go up with someone who knows what they are doing. Suggest to her that she looks at this page www.go4awalk.co.uk which has lots of guidance about mountain safety. The mountain rescue bods do an outstanding job in my view and shouldn't have to risk their lives because someone fancies wandering up hills unprepared.

Sean

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
NO!

Unless they go with someone who does know what they are doing.

The "leader" should be given the authority to vet each member 's kit and insist on upgrades where necessary.Also the last word on when/if to abort and leave the hill.

They might then all survive to look back on a thoroughly enjoyable experience.:D

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Was gonna go up last January.....one look on the web cam and hung my coat back up!!!
I do not have the equipment to deal with ice and snow so unless you do I would say look on the web cams and see what the conditions are like....this is taking that they wont change really quickly which they will and then you may find it a bit tricky!
Go in the spring/summer simple route up bit like Ben Nevis bit boring but great views.
Dave

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
based on what you've said, a definite no! But... get someone who knows what they're doing to go along too, discuss and take the right kit, and absolutely.
I'd highly recommend Glenmore lodge if you get hooked and want to get into winter mountaineering; Plas-y-brenin and a few other smaller outfits have excellent reputations as well.
Just beware - the bug bites hard :)

S

Siecroz

Lol... ex local yocal of 26 years to Snowdonia... I wouldn't be up Snowdon without Winter Mountaineering equipment and experience that time of year. if you are looking for some more gentle walks (and lower/less servere), yet still very picturesque. Suggest you/she try some of the paths on the lower hills near the coastline, for a beginner.. (Up the back of Abergwyngreggin is very nice, around Drum [770m], Drosgl, Tal-Y-Fan [610m] and along the roman road. You get some fantastic views of the coast, can be covered in snow depending on weather.) Golden rules as always apply of leaving a route card and what time you'll be back down, right kit, and thoroughly checking the weather!! I have been on Moel Wnion at only 580m and experiences a complete white out when the blizzard hit and the cloud dropped!!. This area also has the BEAUTIFUL Aber Falls, if it gets cold enough, you might even see it frozen over. I am hoping to go back home (Penmaenmawr) in February too, lol.
Anyways.... stay safe, and Enjoy my backyard ;)

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
she could probably make it half way up snowdon in winter with out crampons and ice axe but after uve gone half way up and take a steep turn up to the right shed probably slip off to a very long drop!!!and meet certain death

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would think that, in view of global warming and how rarely any of Snowdonias winter features come in to condition these days, that Welsh Winter Mountaineering Equipment now comprises a wetsuit and flippers!
When I think back on the winters I lived and worked in Outdoor Persuits it was glorious - you went from endless sunny days of Spring and summer to crisp frosts of Autumn to ice climbs and corniced ridges overnight! I am suprised that there was enough water to keep the rivers in prime condition as it never seemed to rain in those days...
Seriously - get to Pen y Pass and "if there is snow - don't go" unless you have the gear and training. Equally "if theres rain - its a pain" and "if there is sun - you will get it done" - but get a good forcast as mountain weather is a tricky thing and I too have had my epics in Snowdonia (and I am suppost to know what I am doing!)
Stay safe but have fun!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have a friend who wants to walk up to the peak in february,she has no experiance with walking up this mountain or any mountain. Do you think it is a good idea?

NO is the simple answer to be honest, wait until summer to take a beginner up.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
I would think that, in view of global warming and how rarely any of Snowdonias winter features come in to condition these days, that Welsh Winter Mountaineering Equipment now comprises a wetsuit and flippers!

now this is a quote worth keeping. :)

why doesn't your friend just take someone experienced/qualified with them? could be a life saving choice, if they insist on giving it a go.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
When I think back on the winters I lived and worked in Outdoor Persuits it was glorious - you went from endless sunny days of Spring and summer to crisp frosts of Autumn to ice climbs and corniced ridges overnight! I am suprised that there was enough water to keep the rivers in prime condition as it never seemed to rain in those days...
Seriously - get to Pen y Pass and "if there is snow - don't go" unless you have the gear and training. Equally "if theres rain - its a pain" and "if there is sun - you will get it done" - but get a good forcast as mountain weather is a tricky thing and I too have had my epics in Snowdonia (and I am suppost to know what I am doing!)
Stay safe but have fun!

sensible advice there. I've been to plenty of our mountain ranges in feb (tho for some reason I have yet to go to Snowdonia) and many of those times ('specially recently:( ) none have been snowbound. Your friends will still need good wetproofs, footwear etc, but if it's clear of the white stuff they shouldn't need any specific skills, just commonsense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE