Snowdon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rickyd

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2016
Warwickshire
a few of us are doing snowdon in the next month. Never done it before so don’t really know what to expect. Clothes wise we’re ok for boots, socks trousers, t shirts, gloves and hat. In terms of jackets/coats etc what would you guys recommend on wearing? Obviously we need something that we can take off and easily stow in our bags. I thought maybe a down coat and a lightweight waterproof?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm sure you're already aware but never underestimate the ability of these mountains to turn nasty. I have seen clear days turn into blizzard conditions. I always plan worst case in these hills especially the Glyders. That does mean that I may be carrying 10 or 12 Kg when others are in shirt sleeves and shorts but I prefer it that way :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mountains make their own weather, everywhere. Might take only 15 minutes for zero visibility to develop. You ready?
Broch says it goes nasty. Heed that! You never know if it will blow through or settle in for a week.
Nothing but high calorie foods and get out of the wind (clothing). Best shopping excuse ever.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
a few of us are doing snowdon in the next month. Never done it before so don’t really know what to expect. Clothes wise we’re ok for boots, socks trousers, t shirts, gloves and hat. In terms of jackets/coats etc what would you guys recommend on wearing? Obviously we need something that we can take off and easily stow in our bags. I thought maybe a down coat and a lightweight waterproof?

Those are perfect to carry and I mean carry just wear a light windproof. I wear even in winter while walking a baselayer and a buffalo wind shirt only.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
clothing wise, you sound prepared. But a map and compass and knowing how to use them is equally important. Also the knowledge of you and your companions limits and not being afraid to turn back is equally important.
Don't forget there is a fair chance that there will be snow and ice on the top.
Enjoy your trip

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Many years ago a group of us were walking up Snowden, the weather turned and we turned around.
A school party pressed on, it got steadily worse and they decided to take the 'easy track' (the railway) back down the mountain.

Three of the boys slipped on the ice and went over the side. They were killed.

Snowdon in February can require Ice axes, crampons and the training to use them.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/on-this-day-the-times-february-22-1972-wqn206hz355

SNOWDON can be more dangerous than Mount Everest because it is the peak of choice for ill-equipped tourists treating it like a gentle hillside stroll, a climbing expert has claimed.
There have been six deaths so far on the Welsh mountain range in 2009, compared with five on Everest, which at 29,035ft stands almost 10 times higher than Snowdon.

Mountain rescue crews in Snowdonia received an unprecedented 334 calls for help from walkers and climbers in the last 12 months.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/climbing-snowdon-can-more-dangerous-2066625

Either go prepared or don't go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A few years ago a small group of us were camped out on Glyder Fawr (the other side of the valley from Snowdon and only 85m lower) in February in whiteout conditions (not to be encouraged unless you are very confident of your winter mountain skills). The following morning we roped up to make the descent via Devil's Kitchen; it was very icy. About half way down we saw a group of school kids coming up with a few teachers; they were wearing shirt sleeves and trainers!

The trouble was that at the bottom it was a nice sunny day, on the top it was bitter mid-winter.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
If you’re not used to mountains and there is ice up there I’d leave it until everything thaws. It is a serious place in bad conditions. The Railway Track is the easiest route as regards not getting lost, but as mentioned above there’s a bad section higher up when icy.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nobody has mentioned it. Common practice here.
Make a plan. Give it to somebody. Stick to the plan. Report back.
Otherwise, it's almost impossible to begin searching for your body.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE