snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Now it`s raining and any white stuff we had earlier has just about gone.

That`ll be it for another year then, unless you live in the South East that is.

I can remember telling my cousins down in Kent about all the snow we had in Yorkshire every year, especially the early eighties, now it s the other way round. What`s that all about ???

Rich

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Not in our part of the South East.

Sandwiched between the North and South Downs, we tend to escape any huge flurries!

That said they tend to think of 2cm as being traffic stoppers, and a bad year round here!

Kent do seem to do quite well out of the snow though!

Paul

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well it's been "doofing down" for nearly two hours here now. Not all "big ,soft heavy stuff", we've had a spattering of "crumbs"as well but it's getting dark now and the sky still looks full.
I've decided to stop in, as opposed to plodding through the "arctic waste" :rolleyes: as the local Scots weather chappie, Bob Johnson says we shouldn't be making any unnecessary( damn! nearly spelt that right first time:aargh4: ) journies today. HA!

Is it really us thats screwed the weather up?
When I think back to the winters we had when I was a kid( only 30-40 years ago) including a few real white xmas's It's hard to believe the weather can change so much in what is, geologically speaking, a mere micro second in time.

I recall wading through snow to get to school, only to be told to go home again! it was up to my waist then, so it would be about 2 feet deep( I was only about 6 or 7!) It had drifted up the hedges around the area to a depth of 10 feet in places and tunnels were dug through it by the older kids. It lasted ages as well, not like this wimpy stuff we get now.
Wipes tear from corner of eye.

Still clumping down anyway-wait till later when our transatlantic cousins come online!
"dag nabbit shern, that aint shnoow!, why if'n it aint up to the eaves o the cabin it dont count!" not quite a direct quote from my cousin Neil in Canada but close enough:D

anywho
Kindest regards
R.B.

Stupot

Oct 31, 2007
Harrogate
Managed to get out and was snowing quite heavily at some points. Very difficult to light my fire and it kept on going out. But a good experience all the same. . .
DSCN0237.jpg

DSCN0236.jpg

Quite new to bushcraft so tips and comments on camp set-up well appreciated.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

Hey Stu,
Well done on braving the recent weather in your hammock. www.imrisk.com for hammock camping tips or hammockforums wherever they are.
As for tips on the photo set-ups, I hope the wind was blowing from the back of the photo towards you - the steeper tarp angle would help to slow the moving air around you that way. As for the fire, digging it into a pit might have helped, as would building a relector of logs or stones behind it to bounce any heat back towards your hammock. Your fire looks quite small, I'm not going to say have a bigger blaze, but small fires need small fuel (split anything bigger than thumb thick) and plenty of attention.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I spent 6 and a half hours in A & E with my 86 year old uncle today, came out and it had snowed at Monklands. Not masses by the looks of it, but it had thawed a bit and then re-frozen when it got dark. The car was about half an inch deep in white crust :rolleyes:
It's coming down in small flakes just now.

cheers,
Tody

B

bushyboo

its not much of a photo but it shows what we got here hopefully we will get some more tonight
bushyboo_01

Gordon

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
report from fife.
About 1 inch here but the industrial stuff falling now.
With a bit of luck ski to town tomorrow.
soloman

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
snowed little white bits of dust this morning for about 1 hour and was gone 10 minutes after it had stopped, i was at work thinking "when i get home im making one of those igloo things...." got out the door and i saw no white... :(

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Yep, we got it pretty good here in Co. Durham.

It's been snowing on and off most of the day in the Consett area but mostly the finer stuff thru the day.
I was out in the local woods earlier with my youngest daughter and it's just stunning!
Hopefully there will be some more snow thru the night and if I get out early enough tomorrow I'll get some snaps.

C.C Shame the snow didn't last in GY. I remember the last good snows down there in the 70's (I was still at western middle school in those days lol), tho I do remember :cool: freezing my a$$:cool: off on a bus one morning at Cleethorpes pier in the late 80's, the only thing that wasn't frozen was the engine lol.

Kev

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
We got hardly anything here, just an extremely light dusting on the downs. A bit of sleet in the afternoon and now everything's wet and miserable. The temperature has risen in fact from 0C at 13:00 to 4C now at 23:45.

So much for the 'severe weather warning' and the apparent Siberian winter we would be experiancing the next few days :rolleyes:

Honestly, our media don't half make a silly fuss over nothing.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Not a speck of the stuff here :( Mind you I think I have quite forgotten what it looks like, so may be I missed it!! Siberian weather, hey:rolleyes:

Can you imagine the fuss if it really happened one day?

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Managed to get out and was snowing quite heavily at some points. Very difficult to light my fire and it kept on going out. But a good experience all the same. . .
DSCN0237.jpg

DSCN0236.jpg

If there is risk of snow I would usually pitch the tarp steeper with a central ridge - you look to have quite a flat tarp set up there on which snow could collect quickly. This gets very heavy and would put alot of pressure on the tarp not to mention create a big snowball above your head!! Ideally I would try to pitch so the snow is shedding off the tarp as quickly as possible. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE