Snow shovels in Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Hey Gaz, I use a normal garden shovel,
they don't break like the plastic ones.
Don't know if anyone will have any left tho

Craig.....................

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
OMG :yikes: we've ran out of snow shovels!!!!!!!

Time for an invasion south of the border to grab some methinks :drive::nutkick::AR15firin:naughty:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
All gone down here too, I ended up making my own heath robinson affair with a length of 2x2 and a sheet of ply.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
B&Q had stacks in this week - plastic with a broom handle (£6) and re-inforced plastic (metal leading edge) with a D type shovel handle for £8

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Last time I looked my local hardware store had loads (don't know if they do postage).
They don't tend to sell out very quickly as I think everyone here has at leat two already!

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've just got hold of two today. I ordered them three weeks ago at the start of the snowy weather, when I broke the last one we had. The local hardware store had got a hundred or so in yesterday, and were expexting to be sold out again by the weekend !!
The orange ones with the broom handles are good for shifting snow around the house and yard, but I prefer a proper shovel to take in the car.
Doug.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's a good observation there Doug. There is a big difference between a shovel and a now "pusher". I keep an aluminium snow shovel with a traditional spade length handle in the car. For home I have a snow shovel (D handle) thats 18" longer in the handle and a broom handled now "pusher" that can just shove the now off the drive without bending my back. Like the difference between a long handled Devon spade and a builders shovel.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
All types of spade and shovel are as rare as Hen's teeth up here at the moment, so I was pleased to get my order.

It is snowing again this morning, but the real problem here is the ice, which is covering all the roads and pavements with a layer like glass. I had an interesting encounter with a gorse bush whilst driving to town, I tried to give way to a truck which was strugggling up the hill, but was unable to stop. No damage done luckily.
Doug.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Scary

The one thing I do think in this weather is, for the car, a full sized spade is worth its weight in gold. Even a long handled one if poss. Digging out with a folding tool works - but its orders of magnitude easier with a proper spade.

Red

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I had to dig out the car with my folding spade but as the snow had been compressed into solid ice I ended up using the shovel as a machete, chopping with the edge of the blade. That worked better than trying to dig!

TaviaRS

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I have a proper snow shovel I brought back from Canada, bit large to keep in the car though. For the car I have an Ortovox unbreakable avalanche shovel, wonderful bit of kit, very light, strong and colapsable. Bought mine two years ago from here: http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?query=SF047&emulate=accgen. Used them quite a few times and they are good todeal with, no connection etc etc. I also bought the rudd boot chains, very good for icy pavements :)

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hmm.

Not worried about shovels. I just sne the kids out with the garden ones and then put new skin on their popped blisters.

I would like a nice set of studded tyres though.

Ive been thinking about hammering nails through them, but Im pretty sure that would make them go flat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just screwed the old brush shaft into the handle tube of the old coal shovel.
It's not ideal, but it works fine.
I haven't seem a snow shovel for sale anywhere either Gaz.

Our roads and pavements are covered in sheets of ice again :(

M

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Apart from shovels, don't forget the old trick of keeping a big bag of kitty litter in your car. It's great for helping traction if you get stuck with spinning wheels. Just sprinke some under the drive wheels and it will help you get moving.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE