Snow day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jiimlad42

Nov 28, 2009
Formby
So guys deal is have being given the day off from college so what bushcraftey things can i do in this climate, any one got any cool things to do with snow

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you've got a full day at it I'd be tempted to build a good shelter, just for hell of it.

Maybe a quinze (sp) or just a snow hole.

As a kid I used to build igloos with snow packed into ice cream tubs for moulds, I'd love to spend a day doing that again.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Jim

Will you be building it in the garden or on the dunes? What are the tides doing at the moment ?:canoe:
Don't forget to tell someone where you are doing it (in case of the obvious..)
Best of luck buddy, sounds like great fun.:wow1:
G:)

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I got a snow afternoon from work today (hoping for another tomorrow).
I went out on my snowshoes, it was totally overkill for the conditions but hey, I own snowshoes and rarely get to use them! Whaddya gonna do?

Jay

Jiimlad42

Nov 28, 2009
Formby
yeh local forest has pine areas that were planted to stop dune erosion and then birch forests so looks like ill be in the birch area for as long as i can, will finaly have a fire there as well

Shade

Nomad
Oct 13, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Got a snow day tomorrow so............ (yeah I know its dead boring) ...... just gonna go out, build a little fire, stick a brew on and chill in all the whiteness !! :)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Got a snow day tomorrow so............ (yeah I know its dead boring) ...... just gonna go out, build a little fire, stick a brew on and chill in all the whiteness !! :)

It's those simple plans that are the best! I'm going to be doing exactly the same and damn well enjoy it!

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
went out again on the snowshoes. wandered down to the local reservoir and woodland (Ogden, near Halifax for those what know...)

Cracking walk over the moors and around the woods. Sat with the tarp up and got the stove going, no tea but a can of Oxtail soup.

Its been great to have so much white stuff lying about.

Jay

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
went out again on the snowshoes. wandered down to the local reservoir and woodland (Ogden, near Halifax for those what know...)

Cracking walk over the moors and around the woods. Sat with the tarp up and got the stove going, no tea but a can of Oxtail soup.

Its been great to have so much white stuff lying about.

Jay

Yeah I know Ogden res very well. I bet it looks stunning up there right now, it's got that look of mni Switzerland about it on a dry day.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge

Aah...Ogden reservoir. I used to walk around there when I was at Bradford Uni. It's got some altitude up there and always gets good snow. Nice moreland beyond too.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Ogden's almost totally frozen over at the moment. The ducks and geese were fighting over the small patches of open water!

The moorland was great for snowshoeing, no trails other than mine, rabbits, sheep and I think deer.

Hope I get tomorrow off too!

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
had a snow day today, so me and some friends went down the scout hall and made a quinzee wiht an igloo extention ;)

Now i find out i have tomorrow off to, but not sure what to make.. Thinking snow shoes, anyone else have any ideas?

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Oh yes, another snow day for me! (perks of working in England's highest secondary school 300m ish above sea level - there is even a penguin on the crest...)

I've snowshoed twice this week, i may go overkill and play with crampons today. Just cos!

Jay

Woodlark

Oct 18, 2006
Surrey, UK
As the snow refuses to go away I've been more and more enjoying it!!! It's been a great chance to get some serious use out of my underused skiwear for a start - it's great to feel warm when walking the dogs in -10degrees! Also, its the perfect time to do some tracking - take photos in the snow (don't forget to put a little ruler or penknife in the piccy for scale!). I'm a bit weird about winter .... I can't bear to see pictures of winter scenes, read wintry books etc unless it IS the season, but whilst it's here I can immerse!! I've just read The Winter of the Fisher by Cameron Langford, A Winter Holiday by Arthur Ransome, and then (best of all) Eskimoland Speaks by W.B. Van Valin - this last one is utterley fascinating, published in 1945 - it really was a different world then! Anyway, enjoy the snow folks - it won't last forever so use Ray's Canadian inspirations to drive your own!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE