Snares

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I get my snares from the stores, although I have yet to use them. I may go out with my Dad when I come back to UK in the new year and set a few, he's clued up on snaring. Can't you use simple brass wire for hanging pictures up to make your snares though?

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
spamel said:
I Can't you use simple brass wire for hanging pictures up to make your snares though?
No mate picture wire is no good it's too thin and cuts into the flesh of the rabbit your snares would then be illegal.
Also someone said earlier to use 8 strand on the noose only and 3-4 strand on the tail of the snare a rabbit would break 3-4 strand brass wire and get caught up somewhere else later on and if not found by a charlie would probably starve to death.Mike B...

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
scouser4life said:
I have got a great tutorial on this, if anyone wants it post your email address here and ill send you a Microsoft Word document containing it.

Its a very good tutorial with pictures and illistrations.
PM sent :D

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
what do you guys who have recieved it think?

Also watch for the foxes, i set 10 over a period of a week. All were gone when i came back. The snares could hold my weight and where pin in with 12" strong pegs :O

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Mike B said:
No mate picture wire is no good it's too thin and cuts into the flesh of the rabbit your snares would then be illegal.
Also someone said earlier to use 8 strand on the noose only and 3-4 strand on the tail of the snare a rabbit would break 3-4 strand brass wire and get caught up somewhere else later on and if not found by a charlie would probably starve to death.Mike B...

But you won't be using the wire as a single strand, it wil be folded over and twisted up to a number of strands so should be just fine.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A few questions for you on the fox snares

Where did you put them?

How long till you noticed the snares were missing?

What sort of land were they on?

What did use to make the snare?

What type of peg did you use?

What method were you going to use to despatch the fox?

Why were fox the target species? Were you asked to snare for them by a farmer?

Red

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
scouser4life said:
what do you guys who have recieved it think?

Also what for the foxes, i set 10 over a period of a week. All were gone when i came back. The snares could hold my weight and where pin in with 12" strong pegs :O
Snaring is one of those things that is reletively easy to get the basics but difficult to learn the finer details from paper (or a VDU). It's those finer details that will not only ensure you catch the quarry but also that it's despatched as quickly as possible.
I strongly recommend that you don't set any snares until you've been taught face to face how to do it.
I realise this is a problem for many who don't have access to the local poacher (LOL) but the potential for causing suffering is too great to ignore.

The fact that you've lost all 10 snares means you've not picked up some of those fine details and potentially you could have 10 foxes, badgers, deer or any largeish animals' suffering on your conscience.

There's also the legal aspects of snaring which I wont go into here.

I'm not knocking you're enthusiasum but please be responsible with it !

Mark

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
British Red said:
A few questions for you on the fox snares

Where did you put them?

How long till you noticed the snares were missing?

What sort of land were they on?

What did use to make the snare?

What type of peg did you use?

What method were you going to use to despatch the fox?

Why were fox the target species? Were you asked to snare for them by a farmer?

Red

Who mentioned snaring foxes:S

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
spamel said:
Sounds to me like somebody came along and pulled them up.

That passed my though my head, but they were well hid in the longer grass and i didnt give any detials to anyone to where i had exactly put them.

Also i know there is alot of foxes in the area as i see one or two every morning i take a trip over there :O

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
scouser4life said:
Also what for the foxes, i set 10 over a period of a week. All were gone when i came back.

Your post reads like you did?

Whatever you intended to do with them, either someone is removing them as Spamel said (did you have landowner permission ?), they are being dragged out by a non target species (which implies the placement was incorrect and the survey flawed) or the staking was faulty.

If they are in long grass it should be easy enough to tell if a person had been by and removed them (and I guess this wasn't the case or you wouldn't have asked the question). Assuming that this hadn't happened, then I do believe you need to get some instruction on technique before trying this again. No-one wants injured or maimed animals around. I understand that you are keen to learn skills, but I'm sure you don't want an animal to suffer for your inexperience.

Red

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
If a fox takes a snared rabbit they often leave the head behind which gets cut off by the snare as the fox tugs the rabbit.
You should also see signs of struggle around

If these are rabbit snares we're talking about I'd be surprised if you were lucky enough to get a rabbit in every single one and then unlucky enough to have a fox take each one including the snare away with him.

Mark

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I agree if the snares are missing completely then you have a problem, someone has watched you set the snares and has removed them either an anti or someone who is building up his own stock of wires.

You may try setting a few more wires in an area where you can then observe what’s going on, use a route that has little or no signs of disturbance, use a circular route in order to see if your tracks have been followed. Without knowing the type of ground you have it is difficult to suggest but if you have areas of sand or mud/silt these can be useful to identify another’s passing and give useful information. If you are crossing fences place an indicator over the wire to see if anyone has followed you, a long blade of dead grass is all that is needed. Muddy gateways are another good place to look for information.

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
spamel said:
But you won't be using the wire as a single strand, it wil be folded over and twisted up to a number of strands so should be just fine.

Sorry mate I never even thought of that just assumed he wanted to use it as is.
Mike B...

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Buckley8219 said:
Hi,

I was wandering if anyone had any advice on snaring rabbits, I have made my own snares with tealers and placed them about the place (with permission) bit I have yet to catch a thing.

Is there anyone out there with any tips, or anyone in and around hampshire who would be able to teach me the art of snaring/ and tracking basics for a fee?

I am on the verge of giving up, I go out most mornings and come home empty handed :(

I've got this rabbit stew recipie on my kitchen side, and I am just missing one vital ingredient!

I do a fair bit of snaring.

What is happening to your snares?

Are they being moved?

Or are they exactly the same as you left them?

Can you explain exactly what you are doing?

Where you are placing them and why?

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE