Snares

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Snares are pretty standard in a survival/bushcraft kit - usually they contain one or two. But how many do you carry? Do you find one or two enough or do you carry more?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
If I'm out for the weekend rabbiting I usualy make sure as a group we have 20-30 snares.... that way we know we are going to eat well ;-)

Ed

F

FJS90-91

Is it leagal to snare where ever in England or are you guys hanging around your own forest?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
This is very topical for me...

I was at a BASC (British Association for Shooting and Conservation for the non-shooters) Gamekeepers meeting last night and the speaker gave us all a 'heads up' that LACS (League Against Crual Sports) were starting a campaign with the intent to ban snares. There was even talk of them using PIR triggered cameras to catch the activity around them when they are found by LACS people :roll:

I think the campaign is mainly aimed at fox snares rather than rabbit snares but don't delude yourselves, we know the difference but the politicians don't :twisted:
I'm not trying to scare monger here but with the generl public you can't be too carefull. Basically be very careful when using snares and be suspicious of unusual disturbance around a snare site - you never know.

FJS - It is legal to snare only if you have permission of the land owner or his representative to do so. You should be considerate to footpaths etc and not set snares close to , or on, them.

Take care and have fun :-D :-D

Mark

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
In a survival situation, more snares equal a higher probability of catching something. Most kits will have at best 2-3 when 12 is a good number. Of course, 3 very well placed snares will beat 12 placed poorly. Groups like LACS or PETA over here are not evil people. It can be an exercise in extreme diplomacy, but talking directly with members and finding common ground can produce good results. Invite them for a walk. Explain how a proper snare produces a quick and painless death, removes animals that likely may starve or die other agonizing ends under local conditions of duress. Compare that with the tremendous costs in raw materials, energy and needless cruelty agrobusiness giants inflict with factory farming. Make life miserable for poachers and any other abusers of your activity. Nevada has a local 'folk hero' named Claude Dallas. He was a wannabe cowboy/mountain man and a trash trapper/poacher. He murdered two game wardens, was eventually captured,escaped and recaptured. The local communities made a Robinhood out of him with folksongs etc. The real heros are the wardens. Groups like LACS and PETA, however starry eyed or misinformed have a nasty habit of making people clean house.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I wasn't sugesting that anyone sets or uses snares illegally, I was mearly trying to give people a heads up and to pose the question 'Is it enough nowerdays to 'merely' comply with the law or should we be doing extra? '

Sorry if that was not the impression I gave on my earlier post :oops:

Mark

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Depends. I wouldn't set snares somewhere that I thought had a low population of rabbits even with permission, but that's a personal choice. I know that some land owners would prefer to have all the rabbits removed while others just want them kept under control.

However, having said that, I snare so rarely nowadays it's not an issue.

Buckshot said:
I was mearly trying to give people a heads up and to pose the question 'Is it enough nowerdays to 'merely' comply with the law or should we be doing extra? '

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Back to an old thread!

I found it best to ask this an already excisting thread.

Is there anyone out there who uses snares made from aircraft cable? I've seen some on the net, and I'm planning to give it a go making them myself. I know it's best to be taught in real life and there are some legal issues etc. on using them - but I'm NOT planning to use them. It's just for fun (I'm weird, I know ;) ), just practicing in making and setting them - I'll never leave them unattended!

So, is there anyone out there who uses these sort of snares? Do you've got some tips on making them (wire diameter, other materials used, techniques, etc.)?

A few pics:

snare-10.jpg

snare.jpg

hootchi

Settler
The detail of the snare at the top is actually a locking snare which is illegal in this country, UK, not sure about the netherlands though.

Legal snares have a simple free running loop which does not lock when pulled tight instead it can slacken off when the animal ceases straining. As shown in the picture below on the left.

snaretypes.gif

Cheers

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I carry six ready made snares in 3 different sizes to handle game from squirrels to raccoons and even small hogs. I also carry wire, 12# spider wire braided fishing line, jute twine and 7 strand 550# paracord to make up additional snares as well as use in shelter building, fire tinder, fishing and other types of trap making.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
The detail of the snare at the top is actually a locking snare which is illegal in this country, UK, not sure about the netherlands though.

In The Netherlands, snaring is illegal. So we can only practise making, setting them and have to take them away immediately. But I agree with Ahjno, it is a fun subject to study.

-Emile

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for the replies guys!

It sure is illegal, just as well IMO ...
The pictures I used were to illustrate the kind of cable I was talking about: aircraft cable (I've also seen them as brake cable thingies on (mountain)bikes).

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
the snares pictures by Ahjno look very much like the ones set around here, i have seen them for sale as well in more than one place, i pull them out when i find them set for foxes and i KNOW they are not check regularly as i found a half rotten rabbit in one. its worth practiceing Ahjno, but if your preparing for a survival situation you would do better to learn to make them from natural materials, you never know when you will need the knolage and you just might not be carrying the wire you need.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tomtom said:
the snares pictures by Ahjno look very much like the ones set around here, i have seen them for sale as well in more than one place, i pull them out when i find them set for foxes.

Then they are illegal and should be removed regardless of what they are set for (even though I don't agree with that particular law we still have to abide by it). It's not illigal to sell or own them though (like Gin traps) just illigal to use them.

Out of interest Tom, why do you only remove snares set for foxes? ? ?

It's idiots like that who don't check their snares or snare sencibly that'll give all the ammo the LACS needs to go and get them banned.... a few leaflets with photo's of that half decomposed bunny would go a long way to getting the politicians to ban snares out of hand.... as somebody below said, it's always the few that spoil things for the many!!!! :rolleyes:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
tomtom said:
(...). its worth practiceing Ahjno, but if your preparing for a survival situation you would do better to learn to make them from natural materials, you never know when you will need the knolage and you just might not be carrying the wire you need.

:D Was planning on making them in all sorts of ways: cable, other wire and stingy nettle :eek: - that's the most abundant sort of natural material I've got around here at the moment :rolleyes: (and this time I'm going to use my gloves ... because the last time I got stung (stingy nettle ... duh). Now who said we we wouldn't got stung Woody? ;) :D

Ok - The end of my BCUK break, and back to my books ... :(

Cheerio lads!

snag68

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2005
Birmingham UK
I have used non wound electric guitar strings to good effect in the past, they have a brass ring at one end so just threading the other end through makes an effective rabbit catcher. I didn't buy them for the purpose though, too expensive.. :rolleyes: They were lying around in a box in the loft.

Dazz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE