Snare traps set around ponds .

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hey ,
Just spent a couple of nights on a permission and whilst on a wander found some snares laid around a pond . Any idea what they would be for ?
Cheers , Trev .

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
maybe I'm puttign two and two together and getting 5.... Otter, though I'm pretty sure it's highly illegal?

the only other one that springs to mind is snaring rat, maybe water water bird's eggs?

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Unfortunately we discovered the snares due to a dying badger which we had to despatch . First time my mate had ever seen a badger ( he was perturbed ) . Could it have been for foxes ?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
If you say they are largish and are high they could be for Fox, if the pond is shot over (Flight pond), old foxy knows it gets fed and waits for the birds to come in and takes the, hence the snares, What was the snare made of steel cable or brass wire and what did the running end look like?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sounds indiscriminate placing snares around a water source like that. I think I'd report it to be honest, sounds dodgy.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I would have thought that laying snares on a fairly species specific run would be the best way to catch the animal you want. By placing it on trails, that are used my many species, such as those leading to watering holes you are being fairly indiscriminate I would have thought. You could catch anything and if they are not being checked then inhumane aswell. However I am no trapper just a tracker.....

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
was the dying badger in a snare ??? The `cow` prints round the water hole might be an indication to who set them - TB in cattle an all that ???

That thought crossed my mind.

A Badger in a snare, whilst not illegal to have been caught, should be released and what you have found should also be reported to the Police for the explicit information of your local Wildlife and Environmental Crime officer. You should NOT be dispatching it yourself, however well meaning (and I have no doubt that it was entirely)

What was done with the carcass afterwards? It is an offence to posses a dead badger.

Depending on a number of factors, where and how the snares have been set, the type of snare used, evidence of when the snares were last checked, who set the snares etc. there could be an offence committed.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Is it a well stocked pond? Well fished, day ticket venue? There's a lot of Otter hatred being stirred up amongst the fishing fraternity as some are being released without consultation just down the road from fisheries and they can decimate valuable stocks.

Just a thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE