Snakes:who likes them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The ayeaye is a lemur who walks up old logs, listening intently with those huge ears, when he hears a grub in the log he digs it out with those long busy fingers.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When I was 4 going on 5 I was asked what I wanted for Birthday and Xmas which is in the same month. I said a snake. I was told I was too young but could when I was 10. So when I was 9 going on 10 I was asked what I wanted for Birthday and Xmas I said a snake. I got told I couldn't have one but I told them that they said I could! They said they never did but I told them they did just before my 5th birthday!!

I'm not totally sure but if I can remember a promise that I could get one at 10 when I was only 5 years old kind of suggests to means I like snakes I reckon.

Anyway I never got my snake. I hear JonathonD likes snakes too. Although I'm guessing he prefers them in the wild than in someones home. Personally I'm glad I never had a pet snake, I don't really see them as pet material now.

I think I once saw a photo of something like the ayeaye. It had been photoshopped so that it looked like its long finger was the middle one and it was flicking the bird!! I doubt they would do that in the wild!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I hear JonathonD likes snakes too. Although I'm guessing he prefers them in the wild than in someones home. Personally I'm glad I never had a pet snake, I don't really see them as pet material now.

Actually I'm in two minds. I prefer to see any creature in the wild, especially birds. Snakes have been persecuted throughout history, mostly due to biblical references stating they are out and out evil. This obviously has led to death on sight and still does in most christian countries, whereas other cultures revered them, or respected them as creatures to be avoided. The pet trade has raised huge awareness and exposed thousands of people to snakes who otherwise would only see them behind glass or on TV. Because of this, even over a short period of just 10 years we have seen a change in attitude towards these creatures. Certain species do make very good pets that require little care and space. At this very moment, the good points vastly outweigh the bad. Not to mention that their very existence puts a roof over my familys head and keeps us fed, clothed and online.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I like them,nice and warm to the touch usually.

As for captivity,I see no wrong in certain spp of fauna being held so as it gives them a 'cushy' life.
Others should be allowed to roam though,it's in their nature.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
The thing that I find most people cannot understand is that each snake has a distinct personality. This is something people only associate with mammals and birds, but from someone who has studied venomous snakes firsthand and puff adders (Bitis arietans) in particular, I can judge how each snake will react after spending time with them, and some are curious, some bold, some aggressive and some are even timid. To take it a step further, in my studies with our own adder (V.berus), I've got to know certain individuals so well, that I can pick them up with bare hands. Although you have to judge what mood they are in that day, because their moods can change like any other animal.

As with all animals though, wild specimens can be unpredictable and I wouldn't recommend anyone try it.

I've never given any thought to snakes having a personality,but I suppose,why wouldn't they?I'm sure most people are like me in not having ever given it any thought.Not understanding something usually leads to fear and misunderstanding.
I know people that are afraid of wolves and bears.They too are not to be feared,but rather respected and treated with caution, certainly not with the terror that some people have of them.I think exposure to any given creature makes all the difference.
I'll definitely think of snakes differently from now on.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Erm...yeah, I suppose I do like snakes. Well, no, I DO like snakes. But no more than any other animal. I find all animals interesting to look at, especially up close.
I suppose the 'dangerous' nature of snakes makes them more appealing in some ways. Here in the UK we have no lethal snakes (yes, I know adders are poisonous, and people have died, but fatal adder bites are very few and far between - off the top of my head I can't think of a single one), and the chances of just 'stumbling' across a snake are pretty limited. I'm sure if we had some of the more virile snakes in the UK then we'd be a little more wary of them.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Good grief what are they ? they should be called NONO ....

As well as being a lemur who walks up old logs, listening intently with those huge ears, for grubs to dig it out with those long busy fingers, this creature has long been treated with irrational fear and suspicion by its human neighbours. The locals believe that if an aye-aye points its long finger at you, you will drop dead. It is also well-known for having no fear of humans, so will nonchalantly stroll into villages in raid people's houses for food. One scientist who was studying this creature has reported that one of the them came right up to him and sniffed his trainers. I personally can't think of more delightful wild animal, but many humans take an instant irrational dislike to them, rather like snakes...

Last edited:

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I really like snakes. I have had a pet cornsnake for 10 years but have never been lucky enough to see one (corn or any other breed) in the wild.

I find my snake (no sniggering) very stress relieving and she has real character.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
I do like snakes and have learnt alot about Australian snakes but come around my property or near the dogs they get the hose pipe
treatment . That is spraying them in the direction i want them to go if they return its a quick call to reptile rescue and 50 bucks later
they are relocated . I did go through a shoud i despatch them faze but everything in my eyes has a place and should get a fair go.
Although i am very interested in them and as i have said know quite alot about them i still dont try to handle them myself because
on a hot day you would not belive how quick they are definetly not a toy.

Swagman

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Love em - I have five at the moment; 4 Royal Pythons and a Sinloan Milk but have been keeping herps for over twenty years. I lost my beloved Savannah Monitor just over a year ago, now that was a lizard with a lot of personality and gentle as a lamb :(

John Lee

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, WA, USA
As with all animals though, wild specimens can be unpredictable and I wouldn't recommend anyone try it.[/QUOTE]

Johnathan,
I seem to run into snakes every year and always lift them off the trail and put them in the bushes since I know they are usually harmless and many people kill any they find. Three years ago in Oklahoma I stopped for a large Diamondback that was laying on the road absorbing the last of the day's heat. Knowing someone would run over it if it stayed there, I stopped and using a short stick attempted to lift it. The snake coiled and assumed a defensive position. After several attempts, I managed to carry it drapped over the stick to some weeds. Only after getting back in my truck did I realize how dangerous my good intentions had been. The snake must have been four feet long so it would have have a good deal of venom. But what a glorious death it would have been. I don't plan on dying of old age in a hospital.

Last edited:

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I've always liked snakes and reptiles. A garter snake was my first pet when I was younger. People always think that snakes a slimy and gross, but they are really smooth and soft and a lot of fun.

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
It is actually quite difficult to find much information about the 25 different species of snake in Jordan. I am told that 7 of them are venemous, the main rule being if it is black, leave it alone! there are three black snakes in Jordan, 1 is a constrictor and the other two are venomous.

We had a snake in my garden the other week. I have a dog and three young children, it was a very dark colour, no paterrning on it, almost universally a dark grey to black.

I had no idea what type it was but just could not take the risk that it may hide in the foliage and take a bite at one of them while they were playing, so much to my personal disgust, I had to kill it. I hate killing anything without a reason, so I do feel guilt that I had to, but I just could not rest knowing it was there and could do damage.

About 18 months ago at the place where I work there was a 2.5 metre black constrictor which was captured and removed.

It's not that I don't like snakes, its just that I don't trust them and know of few of the "bushcraft" type fraternity in Jordan who do (If wild boar hunting near to the dead sea, the area is rife with snakes, get bitten by one of the many vipers down there and you would not get to hospital), however most people here have never seen one and would not know what to do if they did.

Alan L.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hi snakes are great, iv egot 6 of them at home royal python, 2 corns, 2 amazon tree boas, and a red tail boa hybrid, plus tarantulas and lizards , and on my travels with work , ive found an adder, and a slow worm , reptiles are quite a good pet ,

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I assume the correct term would be venomous?

Indeedy :lmao:

It's not that I don't like snakes, its just that I don't trust them .....

I don't understand this statement, but hear it quite alot. They are not humans and are not capable of any form of evil deception. They are as trustworthy as any other animal, cute or ugly, they aren't sneaky and they won't steal your possessions or dupe you into buying insurance. They have honest natural instincts that are set in stone, unlike us.

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
poison is a substance which enters the body through the digestive system and gets into the blood stream. poisons are things like certain fungi and are why you shouldnt lick toads.
venom is injected into the bloodstream, so snakes, scorpions, bees etc.

i do tend to correct people (and the TV) whenever poisonous is used incorrectly, and so do my family and close friends lol!

did you know we have a resident (non-native) species of scorpion in the UK?? they have been reported in a number of places around the south and east of the UK, and im not saying where because the public dont like the idea of scorpions (no matter how harmless, they are euscorpius flavicaudis are as big as your thumb,and are next to impossible to provoke into stinging you).
no tarantula species yet though :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE