Snake in the grass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Actually, it was in a willow tree but the dog pulled it out. Looks like the tail was already missing, but so glad it wasn't an adder:

null.jpg

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Grass snake, natrix natrix probably a male basking before mating. It's the 4th time I've seen one here, the 2nd time the dog has picked one up. I moved it into the undergrowth & checking back 10 minutes later it had gone so no harm done this time!

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Never knew they grew as long and fat...I thought Grass snakes were tiny little things here...never saw a grass snake here in Scotland, must be too cold, Adders a plenty, well there used to be loads in and around Royal Troon and Prestwick Golf course back in the 70's and early 80's.

That is a pretty looking snake BTW,

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I've caught a couple by hand over the years. They don't bite (and are not venomous) and they're not constrictors but they do secrete a foul smelling liquid from their cloaca as a defense strategy. So don't pick them up unless you want sticky hands :)

I put one in a glass tank so I could take some rather nice, staged photos before putting it back in its pond. Unfortunately, these are on 35mm slides so I can't post them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE