Smoking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
Has anyone tried smoking there own meat? It's something me and my Dad have been meaning to try for quite while.

The only problem is that I cant find any plans for one that doesn't invole a old fridge and I only want to make a small one.

I know that Focus DIY used to do a smoker / BBQ unit but there isn't one near me anymore.

Does anyone know where you can get the wood chips CHEAP aswell?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I saw a recipe in shooting times last week or the one before. It was for smoked pheasant breast but basically involved a metal tin with a lid (about the size of a bread loaf tin) with a rack in it and wood dust/chips at the base of the tin. Stick the lid on and put a trangia burner under the tin for 20 mins. Looked fantastic I will definitely try it this year.

The wood powder or chips can be got from fishing shops apparently but waste from chainsaw cutting works just as well I'm told.

Bill

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'm getting one for Christmas from Lady Buckshot, hopefully along with a hammock :biggthump

Cheers

Mark

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
EdS said:
I'm sure there are instruction on how to build one in one of Huge F-W's book.
Ahhh good point I'll have to have a look through the books!

I should be getting a nice solid fuel stove for the house soon so I wonder if I could get a door put in the flue?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
EdS said:
I'm sure there are instruction on how to build one in one of Huge F-W's book.

I think Hugh has a special door from outside into the chimney where he smokes all kinds of stuff. That's if I remember right.

I will see if I can get the artical on email Mark, give me a couple of days and I'll give it a go.

Bill

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I used to use a couple of ( tall ) plant pots, the lower one right way up, the upper wrong way up. It works well enough to smoke a goose. Since I built the kiln out of thermalite blocks I just block out the vent on that and use it.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
tenbears10 said:
I think Hugh has a special door from outside into the chimney where he smokes all kinds of stuff. That's if I remember right.

I will see if I can get the artical on email Mark, give me a couple of days and I'll give it a go.

Bill

Yeah I remember that. He was doing some fish and one of them fell down into the fireplace. He just wiped it off and used it anyway.
:biggthump

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mark,

Might be stupid/obvious advice but only use the chimney to smoke stuff if you only using wood and its been really well swept to remove any coal tar or soot.

You can tie stuff up in a cloth bag and hang it straight down the chimney rather than having a door built. The advantage of this you can alter the cooking temp (ie hot smoke or cold smoke) by lifting or dropping the bag. I was going to do this until changed the pots to ones with side vents - get strong down drafts due to the trees.

HF-S does mention the chimney but he does also describe a smoke made from metal bins. Think its in River Cottage Cookbook.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
tenbears10 said:
I saw a recipe in shooting times last week or the one before. It was for smoked pheasant breast but basically involved a metal tin with a lid (about the size of a bread loaf tin) with a rack in it and wood dust/chips at the base of the tin. Stick the lid on and put a trangia burner under the tin for 20 mins. Looked fantastic I will definitely try it this year.

The wood powder or chips can be got from fishing shops apparently but waste from chainsaw cutting works just as well I'm told.

Bill
Problem with chainsaw waste is that it's contaminated with chain oil!! Unless you're willing to run the saw without chain oil it tastes awful and goodness knows what toxins are produced. You need to know what wood it came from too so you don't use anything nasty.

I just run the electric planer over whatever wood I want to use and then empty the dust collection bag. Takes no time at all to gather a reasonable quantity. You could always buy a cheap planer just to collect sawdust - I saw one (a power devil I think) for about £20 pounds.

You can make a good smoker out of a galvanised steel dustbin and although I use a converted freezer now, I started out with one made from a metal biscuit tin and a trangia burner.

George

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
george said:
Problem with chainsaw waste is that it's contaminated with chain oil!! Unless you're willing to run the saw without chain oil it tastes awful and goodness knows what toxins are produced. You need to know what wood it came from too so you don't use anything nasty.
George

I was told about the chainsaw idea yesterday but yours are good points, you don't want oil in the sawdust. Planings sound much healthier. Thanks

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
you guys might find this thing from Bush Gear interesting..

SAVU-Salmon.jpg

Savu Oven Smoke Bags - NEW
Savu bags come from Finland, where smoking food at home is a way of life for most families and they have perfected the art with the SAVU Smoke Bags.

Made from three layers of aluminium foil, alder wood chips and a hard wood syrup the smoke bags are designed to give you a simple and mess free method of preparing delicious low fat meals in your own home without having to clean the oven

To use the smoke bags place your uncooked food inside the bag, seal the bag, place in the oven and wait for the aroma. Each bag is designed to be
used only once.

:wink:

Price: £2.50

EdS

woodland organics sell them as well.

If we really want to smoke something i guess we could put it in our small oven/grill as it smokes more than the Landy! Suppose I/we should clean it out - it a war of attrition in our house when it come to the grill/ grill pan cleaning.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Dont use green Oak chips/sawdust.the wood chips need to be from seasoned wood,not exactly sure why,but an oak carpenter I know says there is too much tanin in the fresh stuff and it can be slightly toxic. Hickory chips are good,although not native over here,American tool handles are often made from hickory and its closely related to ash. (NOT your GB handles)
Easy way to cook small trout is to open them and smoke them over a grass fire,they only take about 15 minutes to be cooked and taste devine. :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE