50mm or 65mm Twca Cam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 19, 2016
Pirinees
Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of buying a Twca Cam and I'm having trouble deciding between the 50mm and the 65mm sizes. Unfortunately I can only afford one. I'm new to spoon carving and don't have a preferred spoon type or size yet, and I don't know anyone near me who has a Twca Cam that I could try out.

If you own either size, or both, could you share your experience? Are you happy with your size choice, or would you have chosen differently in retrospect? What can you do with your size that may have been difficult with the other size, and what would have been easier if you had chosen the other size?

I understand that there's no "best" size, so any experience or pros/cons you could share about your Twca Cam size would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great weekend full of shavings!

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Hey typo! I've got the 65mm twca cam from Dave Budd. It's great. I think you will love either size, however the 65mm is the better tool for a larger radius, so large spoons and shallow bowls are where it really excels. Although I can't comment on the 50mm twca exactly I've got smaller spoon knives, and these are better for a tighter radius, I.e. small and deep spoon bowls. It's very rare I can't get a spoon done with the 65mm twca though.

Jan 19, 2016
Pirinees
Thanks @punkrockcaveman ! Your spoons look beautiful, you clearly know what you are doing :)

Is the twca cam more difficult to use than a smaller spoon knife? I've seen Owen Thomas video on how to use it, and he makes it look easy, but then he has been using them for a long time.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
@typo Thank you!

The twca cam has quite a big handle which gives plenty of leverage for the cut. The thing to remember is that a more open curve on any blade will require more effort as it is trying to cut more wood. The twca cam is best used with the grain, so incline with the spoon handle, up or own, the spoon knife is generally used more to crosscut so 90 dIegrees to the spoon handle.

Reactions: typo
Jan 19, 2016
Pirinees
The thing to remember is that a more open curve on any blade will require more effort as it is trying to cut more wood. The twca cam is best used with the grain, so incline with the spoon handle, up or own, the spoon knife is generally used more to crosscut so 90 dIegrees to the spoon handle.

Thanks @punkrockcaveman ! This should be part of any twca cam tutorial.

And this is how Barn uses it according to the videos I've seen, he does most of the cutting with the grain, and uses crosscuts to remove the shavings.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
That's it exactly- they make a great finish and are well worth it in my opinion. Due to the size they are a bit less travel friendly compared to a spoon knife. Barn makes it look super easy, whereas I make it look hard work!

Reactions: typo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE