Smoking bits: Pipe and pouches. (pic Heavy

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi all,

Thought I'd show you the pipe I've made.

This project was originally a whim so I could have a churchwarden style pipe for around the camp fire.
I originally figured "two bits of wood, how complicated can it be?" .......... famous last words.

What started as a little research soon became a lot of research, as I realised their is a whole lot more to it than I thought.

So after lots of research, and still hoping to keep the cost down as much as posssible I decided on apple wood for the stummel/bowl and elder for the stem. Was quite pleased with this as I have been using apple in a lot of my own gear for the last year or so. Their is also a piece of reindeer antler epoxied to the tenon join as this area was a bit loose. The tenon fit on the stems has a layer of beeswax on the end to help make the join more air-tight.

Having originally worked on five stems, I lost two when the wire came through the side while clearing out the plinth.
The longer of the two shown is elder with beeswax poured down the inside to seal the insides R.E.: toxicity and stop the weird taste. The other (smaller) shown is an unknown wood with a harder plinth that elder, but still removable with a bit of work, and works great.

Having brought it into Peterson's in Dublin, they seemed to think it was a decent enough job and should work fine. They did inform me that the draw hole in the bowl was a little high up, causing a certain amount of wasted tobacco, and one side of the bowl is thinner than the others, so I need to watch that it doesn't burn through. They also ruled out the third stem as it was two wide and would burn the mouth off me!:tapedshut

So after that essay, here is the pipe and other bits. All done with hand tools with the exception of the bowl which used a power drill and a dremmel tool to round it out a bit.

and all bagged up. I made the pouch from some deerskin scraps and some suede cord.

I also made a rolling tobacco pouch a while ago, but didn't have the chance to take pics till recently.
The pouch is deer skin with latigo lace and a reindeer antler button and an apple wood pokey.
The symbol on the front is 1-2mm veg tan with my attempt to be ironic with the norse symbol for good health on it. turn out even more ironic as it didn't turn out quite right. (just like my health will cause I smoke!) ;)

Their was also an apple wood bead on the lace, but it got sat on and cracked. lol :lmao:

thanks for looking.

Regards,
Stephen

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
That's great. I was thinking of making one myself. Sounds like a lot of hard work though!

How much time did you put in to this project?

The bowl looks very nice. What tool did you use to get in there?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Nice work. I'm just wondering why the preference for Elder wood? It's got the easily removable pith, of course, but isn't it a little bit toxic? I mean it's only a small quantity, but surely it can't be good to have a pipe stem made from it? Whistles and fines are fine but pipes I'm not sure about. Cheers.

Last edited:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Nice work. I'm just wondering why the preference for Elder wood? It's got the easily removable pith, of course, but isn't it a little bit toxic? I mean it's only a small quantity, but surely it can't be good to have a pipe stem made from it? Whistles and fines are fine but pipes I'm not sure about. Cheers.

thanks for the comment.

While you are right about the toxicity of edler, has been used for various bit of pipes for a long, long time. the outside has several layers of linseed sealing it and the draw of the stem is lined with beeswax, which is also layered around both the bite and the tenon fit of the stem, so in actual fact the elder is simply the shape of the stem, and is not in any contact with either the smoke or my mouth. in addition to this, due to the length of the chamber, the beeswax does not even begin to warm when smoking, so i can be confident of a safe layer. A Dublin professional pipe maker has told me this is safe.

also, as a smoker I am quite use to putting something a little bit toxic in my mouth.:lmao:

hope this helps. I am currently working on your whistle project at the mo from some scrap I had left over from this project.

Ate

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Great job, making a pipe is on my list of things to do, but as a non smoker it is pretty far down

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
thanks for the comment.

While you are right about the toxicity of edler, has been used for various bit of pipes for a long, long time. the outside has several layers of linseed sealing it and the draw of the stem is lined with beeswax, which is also layered around both the bite and the tenon fit of the stem, so in actual fact the elder is simply the shape of the stem, and is not in any contact with either the smoke or my mouth. in addition to this, due to the length of the chamber, the beeswax does not even begin to warm when smoking, so i can be confident of a safe layer. A Dublin professional pipe maker has told me this is safe.

also, as a smoker I am quite use to putting something a little bit toxic in my mouth.:lmao:

hope this helps. I am currently working on your whistle project at the mo from some scrap I had left over from this project.

Ate
Fair enough, Baelfore! :)

Good luck with the whistle and make sure to post in DIY.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
That's great. I was thinking of making one myself. Sounds like a lot of hard work though!

How much time did you put in to this project?

The bowl looks very nice. What tool did you use to get in there?

thanks for the comment.

To be honest this project was a lot more complicated than I thought. As I had never smoked a pipe before i didn't realise that their were specific bits and measurements. in terms of cost all it took was the cost was nothing as everything I needed could be foraged or was floating around my workshop.

In terms of time, I took several evenings of research and then about a day and a half in the workshop.

That being said I mainly used a Japanese saw rasp a carving knife and files + a toss load of sand paper and a hand drill. it could probably be done quicker with power tools. I would recommend pipipidia (spelling?) very good website about pipe making.

the bowl was done with a 2.5 bit spade and a power drill. then a dremmel hand tool was used to round it off. more than anything, a lot of the shaping was done with 40 grit sandpaper.

hope this helps.

Ste

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks great to me!
I made a pipe a while back and although it smoked a bit "hot" it was very satisfying :)
Unfortunately, as half my face is paralysed I found a pipe awkward to smoke for too long and I reverted to ciggies - and now I have even given them up!
Nicotine gum is just not the same!

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

And mr. Fenna, I keep telling myself that I'll quite one of these days, but it is definetly the taste of that gum putting me off... I swear....:lmao:

Ste

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
thanks guys.

Man of Tanith: its a nice smoke, quite strong. I didn't really know that much (and still don't) about pipe tobbacco, so i figured an aromatic was a safe bet. have to start experiomenting when this tin runs out.

Angst: thaks mate, the next step in the kit is to take apart the pipe tool and give each individual bit matching apple and antle handles.

thanks again guys.

Ste

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Nice job. Made a pipe from a kit before and it's a lot of junk but hard work. But great satisfaction to smoke. I'm an aromatics fan myself. Petersons specials are nice :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE