Smoking bits: Pipe and pouches. (pic Heavy

N

Nomad

I made one from a kit a while back, and that turned out quite well (I'll see if I can do some pictures). It can get a bit hot, probably due to the shape (fluted - narrows in the middle, so thinner there). The pre-drilled bowl is quite small compared to my other pipes, and a fill doesn't last as long - I call it my 40-minute pipe. The kit came from Alexander Zavvos in Greece, and smokes really well - nice, easy draw.

I wasn't keen on the aromatics that I tried - they seemed to burn very hot and lacked flavour. For non-aromatics, I've settled on Germain's Special Latakia Flake for a medium strength, and Peterson's Irish Flake for a sit-down-and-do-nothing smoke (quite strong, but very mellow). I sometimes blend the two together in various ratios. I like flakes - I like the little bit of preparation that has to be done, and I reckon they store better, being more compressed than loose baccy. I also tried a couple of plugs that promised to be similar to the Irish Flake (Peterson's Perfect Plug and Rever Plug), but ended up sticking with the flake (Revor is very close, though). Tried St Bruno Flake as well, mainly because it's available just about anywhere, but wasn't too keen on the flavour - a bit harsh compared to Irish Flake and the plugs.

Mr.punch

Forager
Oct 15, 2012
somerset/devon border
Lovely pipe mate,
I am going to make one from an old instuction book I have it says to use cherry for the bowl and buffalo horn for the stem but now I have seen this I will also use some elder to make a longer stem for hobbit style. Thanks for the tips on bees wax on inside of stem to seal it.

Oh yeah another vote for Petersons specials I have tins from 2009. Also Kohlhase & Kapp. their Christmas mix was really smooth last year and the tin a mini masterpiece.

Last edited:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Thanks guys. I'm going to have to do a bit of experimenting with tobbaccos when this tin runs out.

Lovely pipe mate,
I am going to make one from an old instuction book I have it says to use cherry for the bowl and buffalo horn for the stem but now I have seen this I will also use some elder to make a longer stem for hobbit style. Thanks for the tips on bees wax on inside of stem to seal it.

From what I've read cherry would be great. Here's a link to some of teh different woods usedhttp
://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipes_in_Other_Woods

hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ste

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE