Smart phone/ I Phone. Tame these power hungry beasts..... or just recharge them.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi,

After tinkering with solar chargers and the like and not getting anywhere I have finally found a decent charger to power my Android phone.

I have used an Aldi solar battery pack for a while with mainly poor results. It worked kinda ok with my Blackberry but seems to suck power out of my Android. I find myself having to sit in my car for an hour at meets to charge up my phone as my 12v power point in my car is ignition fed.

Whilst browsing in Maplins I came across a pile of solar chargers from Power monkeys to own brand things. The problem with all these solar efforts is the output voltage, which is at best 500mv. I was approached by a staff member to see if I needed help and explained my problems with charging my phone. He immediately diverted my attention to one of these.

What a cracking bit of kit IMO. The output is 1000mv and it charges my Android as quick as the mains charger 3 times from about 20% to full.
Build quality is very good and it comes with a usb lead with interchangable bits (mini usb and micro usb) It charges via micro usb from your phone charger (min 1000mv) in 8 hours or via your usb on the pc in about 12 hours. All for less than £20 (just)

I don't use my phone much when in the woods so I can see myself getting 5 days use out of my phone using this gizmo.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been using an £13 Aldi 2200 mAH battery pack/charge anything kit for emergency charging, I can get 2 full charges on my HTC Desire.

That one looks even better value.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I got one of these... New Trent iCruiser IMP1000 11000mAh External Battery Pack (after it being recommended by another member here).

I'd had bad experiences with solar chargers in the past so was looking for something that really worked. I charge this once a week and it's tend to be the only thing I use to charge my android phone. It means that I can have my bluetooth, GPS etc on while I'm out secure it the knowledge I can re-charge it as the notion takes me.

It's a stunning device and small enough to stick in a pocket to connect & charge your phone as you walk.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
For me one of the big advantages of Andriod over apple is spare batteries
I have 2 spares batteries I bought for £3 each and rotate them round.
Light weight and small. They work really well

Mark

tim_c

Feb 23, 2012
Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester

Mark

I do the same, much lighter and smaller that a battery charger pack. Think i picked up two new HTC branded desire batteries for about £20

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Aye, if you are only talking about one device, then spare batteries are going to be lighter, cheaper and more efficient.

An external pack might be 5000mAh, but that doesn't mean it will put 5000mAh into your phone battery.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
If you really need your phone on all the time i would say spare batteries are best. I have my phone switched off all the time so dont need to charge it when out. Battery boxes aa or 18650 if you ok with lithiums are good for charging lots of different things. solar is good if you have a base camp, leave it out all day, not so good if your walking all day.
My sony mp3 player last 59 hours playing so ok for over a week, only use it at night.
I take spare touch batterys, thats all i need in a week, if longer a battery box and solar panel.
checkout the solar charging post.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I have 3 spare batteries for my android gs2 in a ziplock bag, mainly because I use it for pictures and some nice mushroom/wildlife apps. Works a treat and no worries about bulk chargers. Think i spent around 4 bucks per additional battery.

Mark

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
Sounds simple but I found turning off my HTC Desire allows very fast charging in the car and on 240v. Sometimes 90% in ten minutes !

Scots_Charles_River, I didnt know that I will try this next time, as my car radio has a USB slot and charges the phone, however it takes for ever.
I also have a 12v car plug thing which is wired direct to the car battery (via a fuse), and that also has USB slots.

I am only charging the phone so don't need to worry about the starter battery going flat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE