Power at the farm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Please forgive me if I in the wrong area, but im looking for so.e help and advice from you wonderful people :)

Basically looking at power packs (I already have a 15,000mah powerbar which I suspect is less capacity as it will charge a samsung tablet and be flat) but looking for something that can run a little more- maybe some lighting in the evenings, charge multiple devices (most usb), charge powerful batteries, run powertools, waterpump etc.

A jackery or similar have been recommended, and looking at a base model 240 is around £250.

Does anyone have anything similar? I do plan on getting a solar panel for it, although from my research the UK gets around 4.5 hours a day solar, while south wales gets around 3.5 hours a day? Does this mean if it takes 5 hours to charge via solar it will be potentially over 2 days if its not very good weather? Or longer?

Reactions: Le Loup

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
The Jackerys are probably the way to go but beware the loads you're putting on it so you don't trip it. It'll be worth doing a fag packet calculation as to what your energy consumption is going to be like and what capacity you need.

It might be worth looking at redundancies, if you're power back goes kaput how are you going to keep things running. For the lights you can get ones that charge themselves with mini solar panels, for the water pump we've used ones with 12 volt motorbike batteries in, they've lasted a week worth of showers and you charge it back up at home.

Solar can be Iffy in the UK but there's plenty of information on the IET website about solar to dig into.

Reactions: Decacraft

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a small solar power set-up to cope with our frequent power failures here.
We don't get all that many hard sunshine hours but the panels work in daylight. Not as efficiently as they do in -20C sunshine but no, they don't quit.

1. Deep cycle batteries to store the juice. If I were to change anything, I'd be adding more batteries. As close to the solar panels as you can arrange.
2. LED lighting is so much more efficient than anything else. My inverter to give me 117VAC mains power for the TV & coffee pot does not see the weak little needs of LED lights.
3. You will need an inverter which generates a true, pure sine wave output to drive electric motors with universal windings. Square wave and modified sine wave will drive the coffee pot but not the coffee bean mill.

I hope that you enjoy the solar. Some events, I really feel like I'm "getting even" with the sloppy power company grid.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I like the idea more so of getting some outdoor lighting and being able to bring the battery and just plug it in, same as a solar panel, eventually have one on a building roof and plug in as and when I'm around/needed.
It would be nice to not have to worry about remembering to charge batteries every day for powertools, and be able to charge when needed if flat/ if others are around and also need to charge devices.
I can park on site, so hauling back and forth isn't an issue as iv been using a van and trailer so far for materials and moving wood- just takes forever charging anything via the van 12v with the engine running im sure its not economical?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The solar panels in my system feed through a "charge controller" to keep the batteries from overcharging damage. From that device to the batteries.
From the batteries to the 117VAC inverter which is 1.3kW max, that's all I need AND, gives me more hours of application.

You could have a second 12VDC deep cycle battery installed in your vehicle. Needs a charge controller. Then you can whip that one out for local needs.
I drive a 1997 GMC Suburban, there's a platform by the engine for battery #2.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
From my research (I may be looking at the wrong things) I have found that the jackery/bluetti/ energizer units have a mains plug interface and a sinewave inverter already as part of the unit.
240wh battery(the smallest available) is £250 with a 24 month warranty. No other components needed other than a solar panel (if buying the same brand then it's all plug and play /disconnectable).

So for £500 or there about I can get a battery and solar panel, but unsure of what they are like in the 'real world' and not first impression reviews I have watched.

Failing that I have seen a cheap petrol generator (800w= £180) but I would rather do without both noise and smell, and having to buy fuel if that makes sense.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I suspect you mean 240Ah battery.

If you're running 12v off it it will give you around 250 hrs of running 10w of LED lighting (a battery may only give you about 85% of its stated capacity depending on quality).

However, as soon as you start inverting and using mains, things get more difficult. If you have an inverter attached (again, about 85% efficient) you'll be able to run a 240v, 750w drill for under 3 hours (at full load).

On top of that, your solar cell is probably only 150 to 250w - so, at 13.5 volt charging, would take about 14 hours to charge a battery at full output - more realistically though, using average over a 6 hour 'light period', five days.

I'm in the process of installing a 12v DC only system in the Shepherd's Hut that will be used for lighting and phone charging only - a small 150w panel charging a 110Ah deep cycle battery will be more than adequate.

In my studio I'm looking at installing a 8.5kw charger inverter (which I just happen to have spare) with as many deep cycle batteries as I can - 10 batteries will only give me around 1,000ah. I'm still working on the panel output requirement to give me a reliable supply for my typical use :)

So, as someone mentioned above, battery capacity is vital!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Actually just checked and you're right, the Jackery is quoted as 240wh - so 10w of LED lighting would last 24 hours and all the other calcs will also be ten times less. It's no wonder it's fast charging; it doesn't have a high capacity :(

Reactions: Big Si

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Actually just checked and you're right, the Jackery is quoted as 240wh - so 10w of LED lighting would last 24 hours and all the other calcs will also be ten times less. It's no wonder it's fast charging; it doesn't have a high capacity :(
That was my worry- is it going to discharge more than I can power it via solar in a day- meaning if I had to rely on it would it therefore mean I have a full battery every 2 days once its fully charged via a panel.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I suspect you mean 240Ah battery.

If you're running 12v off it it will give you around 250 hrs of running 10w of LED lighting (a battery may only give you about 85% of its stated capacity depending on quality).

However, as soon as you start inverting and using mains, things get more difficult. If you have an inverter attached (again, about 85% efficient) you'll be able to run a 240v, 750w drill for under 3 hours (at full load).

On top of that, your solar cell is probably only 150 to 250w - so, at 13.5 volt charging, would take about 14 hours to charge a battery at full output - more realistically though, using average over a 6 hour 'light period', five days.

I'm in the process of installing a 12v DC only system in the Shepherd's Hut that will be used for lighting and phone charging only - a small 150w panel charging a 110Ah deep cycle battery will be more than adequate.

In my studio I'm looking at installing a 8.5kw charger inverter (which I just happen to have spare) with as many deep cycle batteries as I can - 10 batteries will only give me around 1,000ah. I'm still working on the panel output requirement to give me a reliable supply for my typical use :)

So, as someone mentioned above, battery capacity is vital!

What's the expected cost of the shephards hut power? That sounds like what I'm after, usb charging, basic lights and possibly the ability to charge 12v milwaukee batteries

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
What's the expected cost of the shephards hut power? That sounds like what I'm after, usb charging, basic lights and possibly the ability to charge 12v milwaukee batteries

The main costs are the solar panel and the battery; these are typical:

150w solar panel - £120 (double or more for 300w)
110Ah leisure battery - £94 (make sure it's a deep discharge battery)

You will then want something that shows the state of the battery and provides outlets such as one of these mounted on a panel or on a box:

Linkstyle 4 in 1 12V Toggle Switch Panel ON/OFF Waterproof 4.2A Dual USB Charger Port Rocker Panel with Digital Voltmeter Cigarette Lighter Socket LED for Car Marine RV Boat Truck Trailer GPS, Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

You should also put a fuse in line from the battery to the panel (if the panel doesn't include one) and consider a 'battery saver' in the same line - this will kill the supply before the battery voltage drops too low.

Look at stuff supplied for caravans and motor homes.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just a thought though - my duty cycles is typically a few days of no power use (so 100% charging) followed by a few days of daylight charging, very light daylight use, then LED lighting during the dark evening. Consequently, I have a few days to charge the batteries fully, then a few days of use where daylight hours top it up while I use it over those days (I hope that makes sense :))

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
The main costs are the solar panel and the battery; these are typical:

150w solar panel - £120 (double or more for 300w)
110Ah leisure battery - £94 (make sure it's a deep discharge battery)

You will then want something that shows the state of the battery and provides outlets such as one of these mounted on a panel or on a box:

Linkstyle 4 in 1 12V Toggle Switch Panel ON/OFF Waterproof 4.2A Dual USB Charger Port Rocker Panel with Digital Voltmeter Cigarette Lighter Socket LED for Car Marine RV Boat Truck Trailer GPS, Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

You should also put a fuse in line from the battery to the panel (if the panel doesn't include one) and consider a 'battery saver' in the same line - this will kill the supply before the battery voltage drops too low.

Look at stuff supplied for caravans and motor homes.
Funnily enough I have been looking at some caravan and motorhome info, but its a bit over my head in terms of what charge controllers and sine wave and mppt- and I dont fully understand the technology as much as I try and research.

An all in one solution is simple for me, but if I could 'copy' someone else's setup or as close to that would give me more confidence.

As with everything its all cost related, and as much as I want a portable, movable setup, I think a built for purpose installation may be cheaper?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be honest, you could just get a sturdy plastic crate and install the kit in it.

If you make an assessment of a typical week's duty cycle - what equipment will run, the voltage and power, and for how long, each day - I can play with numbers and give you an idea of the kit you'll need. If you can keep it all capable of running off 12v (so no mains inverters) it will be more efficient - but you will need step-up supplies to charge 18v lithium batteries for example.

PM me if you'd prefer.

Please forgive me if I in the wrong area, but im looking for so.e help and advice from you wonderful people :)

Basically looking at power packs (I already have a 15,000mah powerbar which I suspect is less capacity as it will charge a samsung tablet and be flat) but looking for something that can run a little more- maybe some lighting in the evenings, charge multiple devices (most usb), charge powerful batteries, run powertools, waterpump etc.

A jackery or similar have been recommended, and looking at a base model 240 is around £250.

Does anyone have anything similar? I do plan on getting a solar panel for it, although from my research the UK gets around 4.5 hours a day solar, while south wales gets around 3.5 hours a day? Does this mean if it takes 5 hours to charge via solar it will be potentially over 2 days if its not very good weather? Or longer?
I am not a solar technician, but I did set up solar power on the old cottage. But this was just a high amp hour 12 volt battery & a couple of solar panels, I did the same on our caravan. This system was fine for running 12 volt lighting, but no good for anything else.
To do what you want you need a much bigger system. Our main house is powered by 240 volt AC, converted from 24 volts DC. Even so we do not run a lot of household goods, the fridge/freezer is on all the time but it is very efficient in regards to power use. Lighting of course but again the bulbs we use pull very little. Two computers, 4 screens. I do have cordless tools & do charge these batteries.
Power-Shed-Power-Board-002-REDUCED.jpg

Power Board.
Gel-Solar-Batteries-1-REDUCED.jpg
Twelve 6volt Gel batteries making 24 volts DC.

Power-Shed-Power-Board-001-REDUCED.jpg

Power shed & solar panels.

The more panels you have the more power going into the batteries, the higher the amp hours of the battery the longer you have power. We opted for 240 volt appliances because they are less expensive than 12 or 24 volt appliances.
Keith.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
That's amazing, I'll make a summary of what I would hope to charge/power and if you wouldn't mind thank you.

If I keep it on here for the most part if anyone else in the future is interested it will be available to see.

If i were to plug in the tool charger via the 12v charging station how would that be? Its a 12-18v battery charger and all I can see is 2.5a on there? I usually use 12v 3/6ah battery depending on the tool, and may need a recharge once during the day?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's amazing, I'll make a summary of what I would hope to charge/power and if you wouldn't mind thank you.

If I keep it on here for the most part if anyone else in the future is interested it will be available to see.

If i were to plug in the tool charger via the 12v charging station how would that be? Its a 12-18v battery charger and all I can see is 2.5a on there? I usually use 12v 3/6ah battery depending on the tool, and may need a recharge once during the day?

That will work fine - basically, anything you can plug into a car socket you will be able to use - so anything automotive or caravan/camping.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think if you want to keep it affordable you can use a smaller system for lighting and smartphone charging or whatever and if you need to use power tools a cheap emergency generator is the way to go.
If used regularly the really cheap ones break so soon, that you can surf a pretty long time on the warranty. Or you get directly a Honda or even better thing.

You could install a second system that you can run via this generator. You don't need to put it directly under your window. If kept in a distance that isn't so horribly loud.

I use here such a double system and that works relatively well. I have no detailed informations about it though and no idea about the costs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE