Small wood burning stove (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
Nothing really new here, just my take on the small wood burning stove made from the ordning Ikea cutlery caddy.

I've made two of these before; the first one with a shelf which was quite fiddly to light. The second design used two caddies, one to provide a platform to allow sufficient air flow underneath and the other to act as the firebox. The second design was given away as a gift but reports are that it burns well.

So now the challenge is to try and achieve the same results but only use one caddy. Was also a chance for me to use my Dremel in anger which I've not really done despite having it for nearly a year.

My plan was to cut the top off the ordning caddy, which will provide the base instead of requiring a second caddy. This creates a trade off between the height of the base and the height of the firebox, but hopefully will a good balance and provide enough air flow below and enough height so not choke the fire when a pot is on top.

Anyway enough words, pictures:

BASE: Cut from top if the caddy between the 1st and 2nd row of holes from the top. Then one of the 3 hole sections removed so the base can be opened up wider than the diameter of the caddy.
20130113_192605.jpg

Firebox: Using the 3 hole sections as guidelines, a feed hole is cut to the bottom of the holes and two exhaust holes are cut to depth of 2 holes. There are 6 panels of holes, so feed and exhaust cut on alternate sections. On the bottom there is a 5x5 hole pattern, with 2x2 holes removed from each corner for air flow.
20130113_192552.jpg

Assembling: Two Metal stakes used to provide platform for the firebox
20130113_192629.jpg

Firebox Added:
20130113_192738.jpg

Final Stage: Two more stakes used to support the Pot
20130113_192819.jpg

As I said, hopefully the design will work, unfortunately not enough time to do a test burn today.

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
now that looks the business mate :) just a thought on taking the need to cut off the top to use as base. when I made my ikea hobo I bolted two door hinges on the base. closed they are out of the way & opened up they raise it off the ground nicely.

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
Cheers for the comments guys, will hopefully update and get a video of it in action in due course.

Conall, I've seen various designs with hinges on the bottom and they offer the benefits without the draw backs. Unfortunately I'm not that DIY friendly and have no store of stuff just knocking around to dip into. Also a another motivation is keeping the parts and cost down as this is a potential project for me to do with my explorer scouts.

Ben

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
Hi all,

Follow up much later than intended, managed to test this design at Explorers on Monday. It worked really well although there wasn't a breath of wind, burned very clean and there was very little residue left after.

Very happy with the first test and will now make a case and get it out on more field trials.

20130304_201245 (800x600).jpg

[video=youtube;NGVgomEze3k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVgomEze3k[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE