Small survival type knife advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teal

Apr 23, 2016
Berkshire
So, I am thinking about treating myself to a nice general purpose fixed blade knife. I currently use a mora forest for basic wood carving (ie pot hangers, feathersticks etc), game prep (up to and including deer), and mostly cutting bits of string etc. It would be carried as a 'survival' (utility) blade whilst working and travelling overseas in areas where such a thing is feasibly useful, such as E Africa and N America. I am not a fan of a large blade, I like a good hatchet and would tend towards a 3/4 inch blade and axe combo if planning to stay out and rely on open fires. I would like to be able to sort a small cooking fire though.

I have sloyd knives and tools for spoon carving and fine work, so I am not keen on scandi grind for this purchase.

For edc I use a sak camper; the saw is handy for acquiring small branches for spoons etc.

I am currently torn between the following:

Ezee Izula 2: smaller end of the scale, but therefore very carriable and unlikely to be left behind. Also has the advantage of being fairly non intimidating which is no bad thong when dealing with coppers of varying nationalities. Might be a bit small however? Also not sure about the handle for long term use. Reasonable sheath out of the box.

Ezee 3 or 4: Bit bigger, but possibly stepping into the 'military' aspect which is not always advantageous. Sheaths ok but concerned about handle comfort as per izula.

Fallkniven F1: reasonable size, looks like a kitchen knife! Handle looks comfy, pommel might be handy, overall a bit of a classic. Sheaths are fairly naff, but nice customs are readily available.

Does anyone have any comments on the above knives? Or any alternatives I haven't thought of? I am probably leaning towards the fallkniven at the moment, but a part of me wonders if the Izula might be more sensible.

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'd go for a Sissipuuko from Varusteleka. I've had it for a while but not used it much. Nevertheless when I have used it its been a lovely knife. It comes in two lengths I chose the smaller M07 with a Kydex sheath.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/j-p-peltonen-sissipuukko/11824

I understand their own puuko which is similar to the Sissipuuko, the Jaakaripuuko is rated and cheaper. A brief report on mine is here;

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136905&highlight=sissipuuko

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Might be worth looking at some of the Enzo range? Good choice of handle materials and some very good steels in 3.5mm flat grind, the Trapper 95's don't look too military or 'threatening' (my personal opinion) - even less so if you get it with wooden scales or a coloured micarta (not Olive or black) and a brown sheath. I've found the s30v steel to be excellent 'in the field' and have used it for pretty much every task from prepping small game and fish to batoning small branches and never had any issues with edge retention or handle damage.

I have found the ESEE 4 to be 'bombproof' but very heavy and and the blade thickness leaves no room for finesse or delicate jobs such as for prepping smaller game or fish and is definitely 'military' styled. I have never owned an F1 so can't comment.

There are many Bushcrafters with a lot more experience than myself, especially of 'survival' in other countries like Africa, who may give more sound advice, as I only practice within Britain. Good luck and enjoy your trips abroad - very jealous of you my friend!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Hi. I work in Africa a lot and pack an Izula as a blade in my 'run' bag in case we need to get out of Dodge. It packs small which I like. Only issue is that, as it comes, you can't use the spine for a fire steel because of the powder coat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I'm enjoying my Suvive Knives GSO's. Others like them as they are forever sold out. Lots of options to personalise yours.
IMGP4352.jpg

Often when travelling its worth not spending too much as they get "lost". Also if you lend them or just work them they will be treated rough, so little point in getting anything pretty.
One of these would be good:
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-140-w-leather-sheath/33532
I have a couple of Sissipuuko's; they are tough as a Glock and also slightly on the soft side so need regular sharpening.
IMGP4435.jpg

I got an fallkniven F1 as a gift last year and it has become my main knife since then: I carry it in some sort of homemade shoulder holster/baldric which allows (semi)concealed carry and carrying while wearing a backpack with hip belt;the zytel sheath and VG10 steel make it a good choice for humid conditions....

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Iv gone almost full circle with the F1 , its compact and the plastic sheath is great and small you have so many carry options . I also rate the sykco knives 511/711/911 because again rubber handles easy to sharpen, cheap and bomb proof . Anyways the F1 is so hard to beat on so many levels only thing a tad small for a do it all blade . S1 ?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Esee 3 & 4 come in two variations.. the regular boxy style and the "modified handle" which is more rounded and without a choil.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Esee 3 & 4 come in two variations.. the regular boxy style and the "modified handle" which is more rounded and without a choil.

TheKnifeConnection are by far the cheapest and best place to pick up ESEE knives. They also supply sculpted G10 handle scales. I bought a 6 blade, molle sheath, and Ranger Green G10 handles for less than I'd have paid for the standard knife in the UK.

https://www.theknifeconnection.net/esee-3-series-scales/

Teal

Apr 23, 2016
Berkshire
Thanks guys, I am quite tempted by the Enzo's to be honest; I like the look of the necker and the trapper. I might start with a necker and then add a trapper later:- give me a couple of options.Thanks guys!

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I have an old esee RC 3 (RAT3) and the choil annoys me, so often I go for my Izula 2 instead, which if Im honest I find a bit too thick stocked for its sub 3" blade length. The candiru is too small. I cant get on with the JG3's chocked up handle. The RB3's handle is spot on but is a scandi grind (I prefer flat for general use). The RC4 is a bit heavy and has that choil problem of the 3. The laserstrike is gimmiky and the 5 is actually a pry bar disguised as a knife.
That said I think the new choilless RC3 would be close to knife perfection for me (once blade coating is removed and maybe some nice burr scales added. And a nicer sheath). The new camplore CR 2.5 looks handy too.

I have an Enzo trapper FFG in Nc690co that I handled in hornbeam - very good knife that.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Duncan (FGYT on here) might be worth contacting also. Dorset Woodland Blades. He makes a tidy necker, and some knives in various sizes that might suit you.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The enzo trapper flat ground in elmax is far superior to the falkniven f1 in my opinion. I think the f1 is way too thick and dislike the convex grind.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Strength - Fallkniven F1
Price - Mora (any)
Size - Fallkniven WM (WoMan)
Classic lines, great function - Marttiini

I have lots of knives of those makes, but in fact, any decent blade will do.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Thanks guys, I am quite tempted by the Enzo's to be honest; I like the look of the necker and the trapper. I might start with a necker and then add a trapper later:- give me a couple of options.Thanks guys!

The Enzo elver is a good compromise between both. 85mm blade (So just over 3 inches), comes in a scandal o1 tool steel and d2 full flat grind.
This is one I handled with some wood and pins from a broken stool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE