Small survival type knife advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I have an ESEE 3 and I think it is a great little knife.
The ESEE 4 is a lot thicker but for a small knife it felt like it was too thick. It's bombproof, but this comes at the expense of its slicing ability.
I pair my ESEE 3 with the much bigger Junglas if I'm doing heavy work. Obviously the Junglas wouldn't suit your needs, but the ESEE 3 is a brilliant little knife.
I think the new modified handle version has a leather sheath, and with the rounder pommel and fuller scales, it looks a lot less tactical. You could also check out their camp lore range...

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
personally I can't see past Mora's these days

Sadly spending 10 times as much never gets you a blade that's 10 times better. A bit tougher, a bit more comfortable to use, a lot better looking... but never 10 times the knife.

Hultafors knives are great knives too. Plus if you're travelling, especially in parts of Africa where things like knives may be taken off you just because a cop likes the look of them, you won't loose sleep over a Mora or a Hultafors knife, not to mention the fact that they're too ugly to be taken off you for that reason anyway ;)

If you do want to spend some money though, try to handle the knife before you buy it.
Don't let the beautiful designs and the amazing reviews of the excellent knives mentioned in this thread draw you in before you know how they'll work for you :D
To test you, here are my ESEE knives shamelessly posing after a hard day's oiling ;) http://truesurvivor.uk/data/documents/ESEE-Colours-of-Day-compressed.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I see what your saying but why does a knife need personality? It's a tool for cutting to me

I've been round the block with knives and every time I end up picking up a mora when I want to cut stuff all day long

Don't get me wrong I've owned some lovely knives over the years but for tools I've yet to be more impressed

If I were in the mood to sell my half dozen moras and replace them one of the new esee's would tick boxes but at the price I'd be loosing 6 users...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I get your point man, just a bit envious you've found all you want in a cheap knife :lmao:

I'm still doing the gathering and fondling. I've got my users down way loads, I can't use more than one at a time, but I still like choosing.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I have several knives that cost £120 or more and twenty five years old or more. Two have worked very hard; so thats less than a fiver a year and that gets less every year. Not sure how many Moras I would have got through in that time. I've got through a few Moras too. Nothing wrong with them, but they just don't have the longevity. I like the knives that have lasted a few adventures as when I use them they remind me of those times.

Todays choice is massive. I think quality in the long run pays dividends. Familiarity with a knife goes a long way to building confidence and knowledge. It takes a few to find what works for you, and recommendations don't mean much other than showing whats in fashion and what could be junk. We all find our own way. For some its high ticket price items and for others low. There are pros and cons both ways..

My advice is do bit of research and then go with the one you probably first fancied (unless the research shows its rubbish).

Last edited:

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Like Rob Evans, I rate the BOB Fieldcraft - and I too will happily sell you one :rolleyes:

Real deal, IMHO, however is a Rob Evans Bushtool.

I bought mine last year and love it. Get one if you can.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
The Enzo elver is a good compromise between both. 85mm blade (So just over 3 inches), comes in a scandal o1 tool steel and d2 full flat grind.
This is one I handled with some wood and pins from a broken stool.

I do really like that. Looks like it makes a good, practical user.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE