Small pouch tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
A few people asked me for a pattern for my pouch or sporran that I made.I was going to make a new one and try to trade or sell.So I thought that I would take a few pics of how I made mine and make up a little tutorial for you guys.
IMG_0651.jpg

Okay so here we go!You will need some soft leather for the front and back I am using suede for this one.But something much stronger for the front reinforcement and front flap and back reinforcement.Here I am going to use a nice bit of 3mm veg tan leather.I made a small sketch with the measurements you will need.
IMG_4406-1.jpg

So we are just cutting five pieces of leather the first bit is the front reinforcement then the flap and back reinforcement.Then the front ant back made from which are the same size.There is one more piece which is the gusset which connects the front and back.The gusset is just a strip 6.5cm wide and 56cm long,always make the gusset longer that you think you will need.Also here is a photo of the tools i am about to use.
IMG_4371.jpg

Don't worry if you dont have the tools here but you will need at least need a awl and thonging chisel and a revolving punch.The rest can be left out or you will probably we have something in your house you can use instead of the proper leather craft tool.Looking at the sketch I made you need to draw pattern a on card or paper pattern then cut it out.
IMG_4411.jpg

After about one beer you should have something that looks like this.When it all looks like it will fit together and you are happy transfer the pattern to the leather.First the front and back I using suede.
IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

Then the front reinforcement and back reinforcement and front flap.Draw out the outline near edge of the leather as much as you can.As what to save as much leather as we can for future projects.Then you careful cut out the shapes with a very sharp knife.
IMG_4251.jpg

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Having all shapes cut out, you go round the edges with your edge beveller.You don't have to do this but it gives you a nice finish.
IMG_4256.jpg

Then,it's time to make the stitching holes and the holes for the leather thong and slits for the belt.
Using the dividers, mark a line about 6mm from the edge on the front and back.Then go around with the thonging chisel.
IMG_4258.jpg

This is how the front and back should look when you are done going round with the thonging chisel and you have punched the holes and cut the belt slits.
IMG_4334.jpg

Make sure that you make slits for the belt big enough for your belt.
IMG_4344.jpg

Then, make the the holes with the thonging chisel bigger with a awl.
IMG_4263.jpg

So far, so good, now you need to burnish the edges.This is normally done with a bone file. I don't have one so I used a old whisky class :roll eyes:
Make the edge wet and rub away.The heat from the friction will bind the fibres and make a shining edge.
IMG_4281.jpg

I got some help making some of the holes in the soft leather for the front and back.;)
IMG_4576.jpg

Now, it's time to get down to some sewing.Use two needles for what's called a pony stitch.
You can see I have added the button I used a Turk's head knot but you could whittle something out of wood or bone.
IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

Okay so the sewing is nearly finished,see how the gusset was made longer than needed.
IMG_5500.jpg

Just need to make the holes for the drawstring.I used brass eyelets for extra strength but you could leave them out all together.
IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5513.jpg

IMG_5515.jpg

So after all that hard work your finished pouch should look something like this.:D
IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

Here's mine open,with a few bits and bobs of kit I carry around sometimes.Thanks for looking guys a fun little project for a quiet weekend.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Thank you.

Fantastic tutorial. I've just made my first leather pouches and, after seeing this, realise how many mistakes I've made.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Fantastic Tutorial and thanks for sharing it. As a kilt wearer I was looking for just this sort of sporran. many thanks.:You_Rock_

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Excellant tutorial.:cool:

I've been looking for an informal sporran and had been thinking of buying one.
Not any more.
Just need to get Santa to bring me some leather tools and stuff and I'll be away.

Thanks

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Thanks for some cool feedback guys:D.This is a great wee website I have learned a lot from being here and I just wanted to try and put something back in:grouphug:Hope to see some photos of Freds,WoodWildling and Puub handy work in the coming weeks.

Was in the garden today playing with the camera,so will now bore you all with more pouch pic's:ban:
IMG_5877.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5729.jpg

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Nice pouch!
I'm a bit crap with Leather, I'll try to make something similar out of material instead (not very authentic I know)

This should go in the Articles section on the main page :)

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Nice pouch!
I'm a bit crap with Leather, I'll try to make something similar out of material instead (not very authentic I know)

This should go in the Articles section on the main page :)

That never occurred to me to use other materials than leather,but perhaps you could make the pouch using something like canvas and kydex.It looks like a few guys here are going to have a go at making one,it will be nice to see there changes and embellishment's to the design.

I would be cool to see my tutorial in the articles section Michelle,but that's not up to me but the natives;)

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Thanks for the tutorial HH.

Decided to make myself a sporran for more informal occasions (this years Christmas party for one). Also I like the idea it can be used as a possibles pouch which in effect they really are.

003.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry I cannot seem to remember how to downsize the image.

The tassles are made from suede cord and shaped into a Monkeys Fis Knot.

If they make too much noise when it is being used as a possibles pouch they can be pulled up towards the leather to remain quiet. But for a bit of Strip the Willow they will need to be lowered.

The inside.

Closed up
005.jpg
[/IMG]

Open
004.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks again for the idea. I was wondering what my next project would be.

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE