small hands/small knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Justin Time said:
Ed, in old money the handle is four and half inches long, three and three quarter inches in diameter at the "widest" part. So approximatley 11.5cm long and 9.5cm in diameter. Remeber the handle is quite shaped. All meausremtnes taken with a tape measure so no great accuracy can be expected.
Do you mean circumference rather than diameter - you'd need really big hands to hold something 3.25 inchs in diameter :eek:

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
Toddy, I recently bought a Helle Nying from the site you mentioned and I like it a lot. The handle is very comfortable and the blade is very usable. Carved my first spoon with it the other day. You might like to give it a look.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Buckshot said:
Do you mean circumference rather than diameter - you'd need really big hands to hold something 3.25 inchs in diameter :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was good at maffs once... a long time ago now.. glad my teenage daughter doesn't read this! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Justin Time said:
So Toddy
Made your mind up yet?

:eek: Well, sort of.
See, I kind of got spoiled for choice....and I've still got some more to try :rolleyes:
I really, really like the little red handled Mora classic, (used it all day today) but I've also found myself with two Helle knives, the Tommeliten 60 (oh sweet,) and the 160 Polar too. (beautiful) These are strangely addictive. I don't carve spoons like you lot do, I carve netting needles and weaving shuttles.....at this rate I'm never going to need to buy them *ever* again :cool:

The Fallkniven WM1 is a really solid knife with a lovely firm and comfortable grip, and I'm tempted, definitely a do anything, go anywhere, rock solid knife but I do like wood grips even though they can be a pain to keep in good order. Still tempting, hmmm.

I've acquired a little Brusseletto as well, and I may get a try out this weekend with a Runt knife that started this all off and there are still others to try out too. Isn't life interesting :D

Husband, sons, brother and uncle are all getting a bit worried though; comments along the lines of, "Another one!??" are becoming harder to dodge :confused: though I note my brother sits in my kitchen drinking coffee lots and playing with my tools (okay, toys) and offering advice on sharpening/uses/potential good things.

My best friend however is as hooked (research minded, you understand, but as a bioscientist I'd have thought a scalpel would have been more her line ;) ) as I am and has just bought herself a Helle 60 too :) but she's casting covetous eyes at another longer bladed one as her hands are larger than mine.

So; I'm sorry for the delay in reporting, but it's become an on-going experiment :)

Just reassure me that there's not a bet going on which one I'll finally choose!Cheers,
Toddy

leon-1

Toddy said:
The Fallkniven WM1 is a really solid knife with a lovely firm and comfortable grip, and I'm tempted, definitely a do anything, go anywhere, rock solid knife but I do like wood grips even though they can be a pain to keep in good order. Still tempting, hmmm.

You can get the blade blanks from Trek Direct, I have one from them which I am going to put scales on.

The blade alone is £46 and IIRC that is with postage in the UK, but it does mean that you can customise it any way you wish and that you can make any style sheath that you want :)

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
all these toys on the go and you didn't even ask me out to play???? It's a good job your by best friend, or I would be offended. Say hello to everbody over your neck of the woods. I have to say this has been an excellent thread and hope you find one that suits you.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Robby said:
all these toys on the go and you didn't even ask me out to play???? It's a good job your by best friend, or I would be offended. Say hello to everbody over your neck of the woods. I have to say this has been an excellent thread and hope you find one that suits you.

Welcome Robby.Hang around,it's always interesting in here. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE