small folding knives what are my options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've looked at Northwoods before but I'm not a fan of that grind

I've had a few GEC knives in the past and would certainly consider a #14 with the right blade configuration. I'd also be interested in a slippie using the #83 pattern

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
4-KC6328BR.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I always like the standard Trapper styles. I currently have a larger one by Case (an older one that was still US made) but Case and almost all the common manufacturers make them in the size you want also

th

I also always liked the common Stockman style which is very, very common in your requested size and also by almost all the usual makers. I've had several Old Timers/Uncle Henries over the years and even one Buck

th

Last but not least, I also rather like an ordinary Barlow style

th

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Case are still US made are they not? Buck out sourced a few models which are cheaper and better fit and finish more often than not

Schrades are made in China now too as the name and designs were bought by Taylor brand but I'd love to try a few of the original US made ones

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
These are two of my favorite " granddad's " knives but at 85mm closed they might be a bit big for what your looking for. ( click on image to enlarge )

008.jpg

007.jpg

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Made in Germany.

Nope. Brand ( name) owned by an American company, On The Edge Brands Inc, knives purely Made in China.

I guess the real company went bankrupt, then somebody bought the rights to the name and started producing the goods in China.

From the website they have I sense they went under in 1934 and got reborn in 1980, produced then in Taiwan

Several watch companies have similar history.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Nope. Brand ( name) owned by an American company, On The Edge Brands Inc, knives purely Made in China.

I guess the real company went bankrupt, then somebody bought the rights to the name and started producing the goods in China.

From the website they have I sense they went under in 1934 and got reborn in 1980, produced then in Taiwan

Several watch companies have similar history.

So why does it have........GERMAN QUALITY AND TRADITION ..... QUALITY SINCE 1834 on the box ?

001.jpg

Last edited:

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Are you after something locking or a slipjoint?

I've been using an EKA Swede 88 Masur for food prep etc when out and about. It has a thin blade which makes it excellent for food prep, takes a very keen edge and feels lovely in the hand. Comes with a nice little leather pouch for your belt too

hz247310-eka-klappmesser-masur-mit-etui-maserbirke-02-big.jpg

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
So why does it have........GERMAN QUALITY AND TRADITION ..... QUALITY SINCE 1834 on the box ?

View attachment 44877

Marketing BS.

To fool unsuspecting US customers. Who think you really can get a European made product for $25 .The knives might be of a good quality though.

They are pretty much made for the US market. Just look on the many garish designs
of the handle.
Independence Day, Vietnam 2016, USMC
100th Anniversary WW1 ( US joined in 2017)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
so in keeping with my first post I have decided to add a roughrider peanut to a small order I had with heinnies to see how I find it with the plan to look at a CV case to replace it, either sticking with the peanut model or trying something a little bigger such as the jack knife pattern in the future

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE