Small Bushcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
Hi Guys,
I'm in the market for a new knife :eek:):
I was after something quite small so I can be a little more discreet when bushcrafting of a weekend. Ideally a blade less than 7cm. I also figured a small knife would compliment my Mini Hatchet well.

So what's the consensus here? I'm talking fixed blade.

I had got a short list of Allan Blade Runt, Bison Bushmans Pal and poss. Bison Pocket Skinner, although I'm not convinced on the last option.

Does anybody have any experience with these, or is there anything I have missed out?

Rob.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I have knives made by those guys, so can give you opinions on those! The Allen Blade is superb, very well crafted, and very proffessional. Not to mention the price is unbelievable and the wait is minimal in comparison.

My bison bushcrafter is also superb, does what you want it to! I got mine second hand, but from my experience Roger is also a very decent fellow. But the waiting list is rather long.

Sorry, probably not much help! :oops: :wink:

Jake

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
there is a passaround of a tiny bushcraft knife going on over on britishblades.
here There is a review. I really liked the look of this one

One on the cheeper end end would be the smallest classic mora with a red handle

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Your probably best (if you want a complete custom) to go for an Allan Blade, IMO. Get him to make one of your own specs, im sure he does that :?:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
RJP is one of Allen's scandi pack pals too small for what you want? Mine seems good so far although I haven't given it a full testing.

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
Tenbears - I was thinking that the Packpal might be too big. The blade is 8cm isn't it? If so that isn't much smaller than a traditional bushcraft knife.

If you take into account price, there isn't much competition between Allan Blade and Bison. Allan Blade is far cheaper especially considering it is custom. But who would come top on quality? :?: Are the Allan Blades a bargain or is it you get what you pay for?

Also, anyone know the price on the Allan Blade Runt? It isn't on the website,

Cheers,
Rob.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
RJP said:
Tenbears - I was thinking that the Packpal might be too big. The blade is 8cm isn't it? If so that isn't much smaller than a traditional bushcraft knife.

If you take into account price, there isn't much competition between Allan Blade and Bison. Allan Blade is far cheaper especially considering it is custom. But who would come top on quality? :?: Are the Allan Blades a bargain or is it you get what you pay for?

Also, anyone know the price on the Allan Blade Runt? It isn't on the website,

Cheers,
Rob.

So far I think I am the only one on the site with a Runt. If you do a search you will find the thread where I posted quite a few pictures. With an Allan Blade knife you get FAR more than you pay for. Many people on this site have got a knife from him and as yet none have been disappointed.

Now I love my Runt but I think for a small axe / knife combination a Pack Pal would be a far better option. It you want it to look less threatening get a wooden handle and have someone make a leather sheath for it (I have done this for the Runt and will be posting a thread about this shortly).

Must go now sheath just arrived.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I can wholeheartedly agree with Tomtom,I use my Bark River Mikro for 80% of my cutting needs, the blade is only 1.75 inches long but cuts like a demon and fits into any pocket as its only 5" overall.

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
Andy said:
there is a passaround of a tiny bushcraft knife going on over on britishblades.
here There is a review. I really liked the look of this one

One on the cheeper end end would be the smallest classic mora with a red handle

cheers for that!
I just joined and i see i have been here allready....

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
Lord Farquhar,
I saw your Wren knife on British Blades, looks nice.
Do you have any more pictures with the newer grinds?
Also any pics with objects to give an idea of scale?
I couldn't find any on your website
Cheers,
Rob.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
The mini-canadian was great (i sold it though), and now im interested in a Mikro...:roll:

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
RJP said:
Lord Farquhar,
I saw your Wren knife on British Blades, looks nice.
Do you have any more pictures with the newer grinds?
Also any pics with objects to give an idea of scale?
I couldn't find any on your website
Cheers,
Rob.

PM sent look on my gallery on british blades or have a look at boatys review or the pass around Its all on british blades

R

rlinger

Sounds like a nice little knife you want. Interesting.

If not in a big hurry you can email me or PM me with other specs, such as choice of steel, handle material, etc.. I can custom make you one; not cheap but the dollar is weak now. It won't hurt my feelings if you don't like the price or the time frame.

RL

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
the mini canadian is a great knife i got jakes well hobbit got it but its a great little knife and so easy to keep sharp :wave:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
By the way if you want a more discreet arrangement why not still go for a more useable 95/100 mm blade but go for a neck carry sheath, you can have it concealed by your clothing then rather than dangling from your belt :?:

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Now if i am late i appologise. LORD FARQUAR at BB is making a seiries of knives he calls the SYLVESTRIES. They range from the wren with OAL of 6" to some that are a little bigger. by all accounts they are goo, and sell for way less than a fortune. he has masses of burls etc so can definately spice it up for you too.

Worth a shot?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE