Small axe cover and leather bag

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have got around to making a cover and bag for my small axe. Water buffalo leather, hand sewn with linen thread. I forged the rings and used a small square brass buckle a friend gave me.

P1020949.jpg

P1020948.jpg

There are a few more pics on my blog, the computer is playing up now and won't put them here at the moment...:confused:

Last edited:

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Thats and awesome axe Jojo, where did you manage to find that?

Great leatherwork btw, I am in the process of putting together a hunting pouch and also some hunter pouch inspired modern takes too.

Where on earth do you find water buffalo leather? Completely intrigued here. I used to get leather from a place called Colin Cross up Northampton way. They had a huge room that they called the scraps room and it had some very obscure old leathers hidden away. I believe they have now ceased to be, a real shame. I wonder what happened to that HUGE full crocodile skin they had. They couldnt sell it but it has been there for decades and so was always just hanging there.

ATB
Dave

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thanks gentlemen! Much appreciated. I do tend to prefer that old style of leatherwork, I take my inspiration from the "mountaimen" of America and the likes of Horace Kephart and Nessmuk. In fact I just like old fashioned stuff and simple bushcraft. Stuff like steel and flint for fire making rather than ferrocerrium... Just a shame that style does not appear to appeal to too many people :(

I love that little axe, it only weighs 1lbs. I bought it from North River Custom Knives, in America. If I had a bit of spare cash, I'd love to get my hands on one of the tomahawks! I had very good and quick service from them.

I bought the water buffalo leather from Leprevo, they had some quite a while back, but I am not sure if they have some at the moment though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE