Small Adze

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Looking for a small adze for bowl caring, any suggestions, I dont want to spend too much as I just starting out on bowls,

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You could look at these adzes. Quality won't be as good as FishFish's adze, or other UK makers, but they are perfectly serviceable (I have one myself) and good on a budget or when starting out.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
A cross selection there, I like the Idea of the Fair trade ones as they are cheap, also like the one on offer by Mr Fishfish.. one question I do have is what diiferance will a stright handle make apart from the how much you have to cock your wirst.

The size of bowls I will be looking at are about 10" to 12"

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Don't go for too small an adze, is my advice. At 10" bowl is pretty big - where are you getting your wood? I'd love to get hold of some that size.

I've made a few bowls now using my adze, and it is pretty big - about 700gm weight and the blade is 50mm across the width.

A straight handle is fine. You'll find you grip all over the handle, from choking right up near the head (when paring away) to right near the end (when taking full-blooded swings).

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My adze has an inside bevel.

It's fine as long as the blade is curved along the 'long' edge (i.e. running back from the edge).

Limits how tight a radius you can cut but doesn't pose a problem with digging in. Flat-bladed adzes have the bevel on the side away from the work and it isn't an issue there either.

Looking at that link I'd avoid that adze. It lacks the curve I mentioned.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'm trying to avoid the temptation of one of these:

​http://www.knivesbynick.co.uk/tools.htm

Now I do like that...

It might be a bit light but these look ok http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CURVED-BO...ltDomain_0&hash=item20d22ad30c#ht_2173wt_1399 tempted to get one myself

Now that looks like a posiblity

Don't go for too small an adze, is my advice. At 10" bowl is pretty big - where are you getting your wood?

Thank you for all the other advice as well

I ve just got hold of a new woodland that I can use, and its not been managed for years, and have just started to use it for montly meets, got a couple of blanks from there this weekend.

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
It might be a bit light but these look ok http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CURVED-BO...ltDomain_0&hash=item20d22ad30c#ht_2173wt_1399 tempted to get one myself

It's cheap enough that it might be worth trying, even though it has an inside bevel instead of outside. I've only used one that has the bevel on the outside so don't know how the one you linked to would work. I would be more concerned about the steel. Rc 50 to 55 is a pretty broad range, and is on the soft side. It might be fine though, and would just need more frequent sharpening.

I do Elbow Adze heads these are light and fast.

but for the size of bowl you're looking at you would be better of with a Forged had one with a bit of weight to really dig out the meat and the forged eye will have the strength to lever more as well

have a look at Robin woods sites he runs Bowl carving courses etc and also has up the design for a Bowl horse to make holding the wood easier

ATB

Duncan

ringonotts

Dec 23, 2011
Basingstoke
I was wondering if there was any conclusion to this thread? I'm considering buying the adze on eBay linked above? Did anyone get one in the end? Worth buying?

Thanks,

Ringo

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I picked up a lovly hand adze made by Ian How Tools at weird and wonderfull wood a couple of months ago, Tony Murland did have a couple still for sale, think it cost me £75ish. I can bring it along for the July meet so you can have a look.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I picked up a lovly hand adze made by Ian How Tools at weird and wonderfull wood a couple of months ago, Tony Murland did have a couple still for sale, think it cost me £75ish. I can bring it along for the July meet so you can have a look.

Would be nice if you could Chris... and can I use it to do my bowl I stated....Please.... Pretty Please....

I ve still not decided on an Adze, I been diverted, and have brought a 2" Flat one, well the Head, just got to get it sharp and handled, thought it would be handy for the planks we seem to be planing a lot of :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I will have to dig out my big flat one, just got to keep toes out of the way though

lol.... seeing its a Table for the next project thought it would be handy for it to be a flat as we could posibly get it...... and of course keep the toes..

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just collected this one from a local blacksmith

DSCN8233.jpg

DSCN8230.jpg

cutting edge is is just a tad under an inch in width, razor sharp external bevel, overall length is a tad over four inches, it's going to be perfect for small cups and larger spoons and ladles., just need to make a handle for it now, it's going to compliment my Hans Karlsson adze a treat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE