Small 100 grit honing stones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A couple of weeks back I acquired a unopened pack of 50 small honing stones. The pack says CARBORUNDUM BRAND BRITISH MADE HONING STONES

3 1/4 x 3/8 x 5/16 100 gPH

MANUFACTURED BY
THE CARBORUNDUM COMPANY LTD
TRAFFORD PARK, MANCHESTER, 17

image_zps305258c3.jpg

i got them to use as field hones to touch up edges, small enough to fit in kits. However there's far too many for me and the lads so does anyone have some small swaps for them? Cost to post 2 or 3 would be a large 2 nd class which is 69 p, the hones are 10p a pop and we scored a big bag of old school padded envelopes so that's covered. So we are talking a quid for three delivered so its realy small stuff I'm after! Stuff like a bit of strong leather lace.

Cronies, just let me know you want some.

pm me if interested.

atb

tom

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Guys, Tom kindly sent me a few of these - absolutely superb for touching up a dinked knife edge or axe bit - for what he's charging they are silly cheap - and such a handy size being that of a small cigarette - grab some - you won't regret it!

Thanks Tom :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I would like some hones please, I have some carbon felt off cuts about half a square foots worth? Or I have some leather thonging in round and flat and bits of leather? Have some small cow horn and other bits?

Steve

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Tom,

I don't really have anything that small to swap/trade but would be willing to pay the price of 3 hones and postage.

If this is ok drop me a PM with your details.

Dan

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks!

2 more packs went off today, got one to post tomorrow which leaves 9 sticks left that I'm parting with so after 3 more sets of three That's your lot, first 3 to pm me gets them.

ATB

Tom

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
My stones arrived today and I'm chuffed to bits! I was thinking these seem finer than 100 grit, what do others think? I rarely need course grits in the field so these will be a great addition to my kit.

Cheers,

Steve

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suspect they are 100 but quite a soft stone - they put an edge back on my pocket knife in quick order I know that! I am long past vanity sharpening - if it will slice paper held loosely a knife is sharp enough for me - one of these stones does that fine!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Any left? Fancy some buffalo horn?

Yup, and definitely! Pm me your address and ill get them off. Ill send mine.

i'm gratified folk are liking them.

After these two sets are in the post there's one set left ( from counting them rather than guessing like last time, D'oh! ) before I'm into the ones I'm keeping for me and the lads.

For a really nice swap I'd probably break my resolve but not for mere cash ;D

ATB

Tom

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
Just as a note to the very kind Tom for the offer I now have a set in my possession.
Stamped on 2 sides of one of them is "700 Grit" quite clearly. So to those saying they seem finer than 100 Grit, that could be why.
Great little things for touching up an edge in the field, thanks Tom!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE