Slingshot/catapult advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I need some advice please regards slingshots/catapults. Never used one in my life. Is something along the lines of a black Widow suitable for a newcomer (found them for around £10)?
Might help for you to know what I need it for: I NEED it to fire a liine over high branches to hoist my parachute shelter up at camp, I WANT it to play around with and maybe try to develop a reasonable level of skill after which I'll upgrade or build my own (a whole new area of shiny gear to collect!)

Thanks in anticipation....

That's exactly it, though I would never have thought of using a fishing reel. Given me some good ideas for my own set up. I'll make the attachment so it comes off as I do fancy learning how to get to be a reasonable shot with the catapult eventually.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Catapult.jpg

I used one off ebay that was more than sufficient for the job. I think it was about £17 all in. A black widow will certainly do the job for line shooting.

I tied a thin "Crab line" to a heavy hex nut as the projectile weight and just spooled sufficient line onto the floor to reach over the target. I think the nut was about an M20 or close to it so lots of weight to pull the line and drop it over.

The crab line was nice and slippy so it didn't drag too much as it went over the branches which makes it difficult for the nut to descend. That line was then used to draw back a heavier line to suspend the chute.

We had about a 90% success rate with the other 10% being missed shots, tangled lines or snag ups, but all recoverable.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
That's exactly it, though I would never have thought of using a fishing reel.
Ah ha - I tried using a fishing reel under-slung at the bottom of the catty handle and only made about 10% successful shots - most getting snarled up as the line didn't feed off the spool cleanly - I'll have to try this inverted method to see if I can get better results....

Cheers Santaman

Ogri the trog

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Ah ha - I tried using a fishing reel under-slung at the bottom of the catty handle and only made about 10% successful shots - most getting snarled up as the line didn't feed off the spool cleanly - I'll have to try this inverted method to see if I can get better results....

Cheers Santaman

Ogri the trog

Is the line on yer spool full to the lip?

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
I,ve used the Black widow type but my favourite ones are the Milbro cast catapults ,got one that I,ve had for over 40 years (bought for me ) changed the rubbers again last year (ebay) Its small enough to fit most outdoor jacket pockets ,light in weight and comfortable to use .

Cpt-Jack

Aug 1, 2011
Essex
The general technique is similar to archery, but i have noticed that people usually develop their own individual shooting style, its one of those things where there is no real right or wrong way. So you just have to play around until you find what works well for you and then practice, practice, practice.

Also dont assume that you will hold the catapult in the same hand you would a bow. I dont. Im right handed, i hold a bow in my left hand, but i just cant do it with a catapult, it only feels natural in my right hand.

Have fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE