slight Gripe...(grumble)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I don't mean to speak out of turn, (apologies mods)
to those concerned,
this is a swap section, i.e. swapping items for other items without cash exchange,
please if you want to sell items use the "Members classifieds" in the "market place".

also if you would like to swap items please mention what you would like in return:
i.e. a wish list.

Cheers
Rich

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I was going to disagree with you as I often want to swap something or get the cash to buy the item I'm looking for . But you are right Goods can be advertised in the classified section for sale at the same time as advertised for swap in the swap section.
I also agree that people need to say what they want to get in a swap.

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
i have swapped plenty on here and most of the time have put what i want and got it aswell but other times i have not known what i want and somebody has said would you fancy and i have

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
to those concerned,
this is a swap section, i.e. swapping items for other items without cash exchange,
please if you want to sell items use the "Members classifieds" in the "market place".

also if you would like to swap items please mention what you would like in return:
i.e. a wish list.

Cheers
Rich

You can put up for sale only if you cough up a years subscription. Sometimes you have kit and just list it for swaps to see what comes along, being non specific can yield good results.

That said, I must have sold a dozen stoves here over the years via member requests to me in private. I've got a few to get rid of now as it happens;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can put up for sale only if you cough up a years subscription. Sometimes you have kit and just list it for swaps to see what comes along, being non specific can yield good results.

That said, I must have sold a dozen stoves here over the years via member requests to me in private. I've got a few to get rid of now as it happens;)

This is why we have a kind of issue with folks posting in the swap shop trying for a sale.

The Full Members contribute funds that help to pay the bills. The servers, the necessary maintenance, the recent programming help to overcome the issues caused by spammers, the DOS attacks and the like.
We keep the right to sell or advertise on the forum as a kind of "Thank You :D " to those folks.

If others try to sneak under the radar and use the Swap Shop then that's unfair, discourteous, and very much against the spirit of the forum.

It is appreciated that the vast majority accept the guidelines and don't cause any bother, and, from a Mod's point of view, generally, when someone has made a kind of dodgy post and we have asked them to retract, they are very understanding.

Sometimes it's a good idea to clarify things though.

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No problem Toddy, in fact I had a for sale item removed. For some reason when I did not renew my membership the software still allowed me to post, sorted now though by a mod.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think Tony built in a little leeway for those who subscribed, but it was one of those hiccoughs..........like folks who apparantly registered in 1970 :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
:D
to those concerned,

i.e. a wish list.

Cheers
Rich

Why must people mention what they want. I put stuff up for trades - with approx value so people can see what level of stuff I'm after.

Most of the stuff I want I didn't know I wanted until I saw it.:rolleyes:

That's why I did what I did. I don't need the money for it. Just after a surprise.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
surely the point is you're swapping, so the actual or "as new" price shouldn't be applicable.

the chances are you won't get an exact refund anyway. It's the reason people use the swap area, to get a bargain perhaps if they don't have much cash.
(I'd put myself in that category), there has been a swap I really wanted, but the postage was going to be too much.

If you tell me you have a jacket I may be interested, tell me it's worth £100, I'll instantly loose interest.
If however you say you would like a bag or cooker or knife without mentioning the price (and i really like the jacket) I'll google it and see how much it "was" worth new and try to come up with a reasonable swap and I'll often have a rummage to see what i can do.

I've asked for things before and in some eyes they're priceless for me they are often functional item. but the moment prices are mentioned you then add an element of your own judgement of an items worth, and in my opinion you can loose possibly the perfect swap you're after.

not mentioning the price can be to your advantage;)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
surely the point is you're swapping, so the actual or "as new" price shouldn't be applicable.

the chances are you won't get an exact refund anyway. It's the reason people use the swap area, to get a bargain perhaps if they don't have much cash.
(I'd put myself in that category), there has been a swap I really wanted, but the postage was going to be too much.

If you tell me you have a jacket I may be interested, tell me it's worth £100, I'll instantly loose interest.
If however you say you would like a bag or cooker or knife without mentioning the price (and i really like the jacket) I'll google it and see how much it "was" worth new and try to come up with a reasonable swap and I'll often have a rummage to see what i can do.

I've asked for things before and in some eyes they're priceless for me they are often functional item. but the moment prices are mentioned you then add an element of your own judgement of an items worth, and in my opinion you can loose possibly the perfect swap you're after.

not mentioning the price can be to your advantage;)

I see your point.

I use BB for trading more and the trade value thing is adhered to there. If someone has something they think is worth less but has 'shiney' factor I'll take it.

It's a different way of doing this I grant you, but wouldn't it be boring if it were all the same?:D

I'll change my thread to improve the feeling...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The '"when new" price of £100 may put off but not others? Its a guidline, as Dougster said, being offered a 'suprise' is nice. Plus, saying I want 'X' in swap for this limits perhaps limits what you could have been offered.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
The problem here is there are 2 possible values being used, Price and Worth. Price speaks for itself, it's the actual monetary value of the item. Worth is how much you personally value it. Sometimes you maybe wanting rid of something you don't really like, but cost a bomb and don't want to be offered any old tosh, so you may say how much you think it would cost in that condition. One the other side of things you may have a bit of tosh that you think is the bee's knees and really value it.

There isn't a clear cut answer, seems to me it's a personal preference.

Although, I personally do hate it when people say they are willing to swap for cash etc. It really peevs me actually. If someone is interesting in buying it, ask in PM that way the rules don't get broken.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
From a Mod's point of view, provided the offer is legal and decent, then the only way we'd interfere would be if someone indicated that they'd be prepared to swap for cash or seemed to be hinting that this be done kind of sleekitly by the back door, so to speak.
Otherwise, I think it's fair to suggest what kind of thing (s) you might be interested in to give some idea of the value that the item has for you.
I agree that placing an as new value can be a bitty misleading but, y'know, every swap is different.
Keep it fair and no one feels aggrieved.:approve:

cheers,
Toddy

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
I became a member last year as I often test products for a company I sub contract for and often have to buy products to photograph etc and thought it would be a great place to sell the items (always heavily discounted) to people who are going to use them.

However one day I tried to log in and saw that my subscription had been removed, when I asked Tony why, I was told it was because a couple of items I had sent had not turned up.

I sent numerous emails to him asking for a better reason than that (I have always had a fully verified PayPal account and had full buyer protection) as the majority of items I sent arrived safely. However he never answered any of my messages.

Sorry to sound like a cynic but I sometimes feel the whole community and "Thank You" comments are only when things go o.k for you guys. Would it have been so difficult to have emailed me and asked my for proof of postage etc first.

Was I wrong to ask for a little leeway or even an explanation before removing my membership.

I still visit here to read what members are putting but to be honest see the rest of the site as a joke.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I became a member last year as I often test products for a company I sub contract for and often have to buy products to photograph etc and thought it would be a great place to sell the items (always heavily discounted) to people who are going to use them.

However one day I tried to log in and saw that my subscription had been removed, when I asked Tony why, I was told it was because a couple of items I had sent had not turned up.

I sent numerous emails to him asking for a better reason than that (I have always had a fully verified PayPal account and had full buyer protection) as the majority of items I sent arrived safely. However he never answered any of my messages.

Sorry to sound like a cynic but I sometimes feel the whole community and "Thank You" comments are only when things go o.k for you guys. Would it have been so difficult to have emailed me and asked my for proof of postage etc first.

Was I wrong to ask for a little leeway or even an explanation before removing my membership.

I still visit here to read what members are putting but to be honest see the rest of the site as a joke.

Really ? And you consider this thread a suitable place to stir ?

Since you have brought this up so openly, I don't think you have any reason to complain when the other side of the story is then discussed too...........but do you really want all those complaints aired in public ?

The site guidelines clearly state caveat emptor. This means that the site has no responsiblity to deal with trades or sales that go wrong. It doesn't mean that folks don't quietly contact the Mods and ask that they are at least aware that there is a problem. As I recall, it wasn't just one or two of your sales/ swaps that were reported.
Admin took the decision that it might simply be best if you were advised not to sell until things were sorted out.
Your sales threads seemed to have gotten away from you, or was it your father or your brother or your wife ? I would need to re-read all the posts in the Shelter to check the individual details.

Now, shall I leave my response here, or would you rather it was courteously removed to pm ?

Toddy

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
I was not advised to refrain from selling until things were sorted, I had my membership instantly revoked.

The idea of a community is to look after people each side of you. My issue was not about been asked to refrain from selling, it was the fact my membership was ceased without any explanation. I had to email to ask why I wasn't a member.

I am not disputing that a few items were not delivered but as you will be aware I had tracking details for all items and I had a protected paypal account for buyer protection.

If they had any reason to feel the item wasn't going to arrive they could have clicked one button on PayPal and their transaction would have been suspended.

My cause for complaint on this thread was due to the termination of my membership sans explanation. This thread was about people swapping/selling on here and I just wanted to make my situation clear that I would love to sell on here but could no longer due to this.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Err, I think that your description is slightly exaggerated, although I appreciate that might be your perspective. We got to the point where dealing with the issues raised by your sales activities were too time consuming for us so your full membership was withdrawn (leaving you the general membership that you’re currently enjoying for free) hence alleviating the issue at about midnight one night after dealing with more issues surrounding your sales (I know, I should have been in bed, but needs must) :D You had about 8 months of Full Membership and then it was withdrawn with a full refund, so that’s 8 months of free selling, although I appreciate that’s not your point I thought it the right thing to do.
The notification from me was this
Tony said:
Hi Jon,

I've got a bit of a dilemma and that is that too much of the mods time is being used taking pm's from people worried they're not going to get the stuff you're selling to them, it's very late or doesn't turn up at all and it's been going on for most of the time you've been on bushcraft uk. And as the huge majority of your posts are to do with selling or swapping items I can see that this is going to be an ongoing issue.

The members on bushcraft uk come her to enjoy bushcraft, you're here for kit, swapping or selling, mostly the latter and I presume that's the reason that you took out a full membership.

I have refunded your membership payment and I politely request that you fulfil any outstanding commitments to people and then do not sell or swap any more items on bushcraft uk. You are more than welcome to use the forums to post about bushcraft related topics, chat with people etc.

Let me also point out that this is non negotiable and i'm not open to discussion on the subject. I hope that you continue to enjoy the forums.

All the best
Tony
And your reply
eskimo said:
Thats absolutly fine. I would like to say however that I don't only come on here to swap and sell. I do visit daily and read. When signing up I never saw anything about the ratio of posts required to fulfil a membership, I just assumed I could post what I wanted.

People do enjoy kit and as I have a website (Non Commercial) that reviews kit, I end up with extra bits which I pass on at very reasonable prices.

As for the late deliveries, I find it very unfair that I am punished for Royal Mails tardiness. I have given Lee a full refind when he told me the Water Purifier didn't show up even though I had no evidence saying it hadn't arrived. I just trusted him. As for the previous deliveries, as I am sure you will find if you look at the posts made by my wife, the lateness was out of my hands. I was in a car accident and had my lung, arm and shoulder punctured so was in hospital for a few weeks.

The PayPal account used is fully verified so peoples money is safe.

As for negotigations, don't worry yourself there will be none requested.
I thought this was dealt with and had not realised that you had been sending me numerous emails about it other than the one to the shop email address a few hours before you replied (and I presume saw) to my PM
I can go through my PM’s and emails again to check if I’ve missed them, can you give me some dates that you sent them on.
I don’t really understand why you’re griping about this now over a year later and I also don’t really get why I’m here, once again at 11 o’clock at night dealing with issues with your name on. As I’ve said previously you’re more than welcome to enjoy the site for free as a member.
To be honest, if you’re not happy here because of your bad treatment or the facility for you to get cash is no longer available, I’m extremely confident you can find places that will accommodate you. If you choose so get on with it here, great, as I said above, enjoy the site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE