Goretex Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CrossLift

Apr 21, 2022
UK
I have had many informative hours reading here.Thank you.

There was one, and only one as I remember Goretex poncho or listed as other like MVP ( moisture vapour permeable) on the market.

I repeatedly tried to purchase dispite its1KG weight, but with no effect.

I would like to try again but can't for the life of me remember the brand/company who made it.

Can you help please?

Possibly even better, is there anyone in the UK who makes bespoke goretex/MVP properly sealed items?

Thank you all again. Ed

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I recently called Varusteleka and suggested them to make a vapour permeable poncho of a lightweight fabric in Finnish M 05 woodland camouflage pattern that they sell. @Herman30 was so friendly to send me a piece of that fabric long ago, but I was still unsure about the best dimensions until I discovered that the US army currently issues ponchos in the dimension 96" × 66" (ORC industries, non vapour permeable) what's approximately 2,44 m x 1,68 m. So I called them and suggested to copy that tried and tested pattern in their superior fabric and camouflage pattern.
I think that they will do that but they currently can't get the fabric although it's made in Finland. It comes from a small maker and it seems as if the army gets the stuff first.
That surely would become the best military poncho on the world market.
If you don't need it immediately I suggest you to wait and watch out.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
There is an original currently issued German army GoreTex poncho on the market, I did see them only offered factory new.
The dimensions are 1,50 x 2,20 m, 860g.
I think 150 cm width ist too narrow for adult men to cover the arms well, be used as emergency bivvy bag and lean to shelter. Could be an option for you if you are approximately 165 cm small. In this case it would fit you well.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Tipik in France can custom make you such a thing in your individual measures.
I already asked him, he speaks English too. He also could make it in a vapour permeable fabric. Depending on the fabric and work time the price would be around 200 €.

That's the contact:

Reactions: Madriverrob

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Carinthia, the outfitter for padded suits, sleeping bags, bivvy bags and Goretex clothing of most European NATO armies recently developed a poncho liner sleeping bag. But there is apart from the ORC industries US army poncho no corresponding waterproof poncho on the current market that would fit in size, so far I see.

That's why I expect that Carinthia could also offer an own Goretex poncho sooner or later should the poncho liner sell well, what I expect, because it's far better though through than all similar products of the competition.

And should they do that, it surely will be made in large dimensions, because everything else is nonsense. And Carinthia doesn't produce bad equipment.

But I guess that they are pretty busy now and deliver more standard equipment to the armies than in the years before. Quite possible that the production runs at the limit now due to the war in Ukraine. And ponchos are currently no standard equipment in most European armies. They are - apart from the Italian army - rather special forces equipment, what might change in the current more serious circumstances of course.
The German army recently ordered thousands of stupid comfort camping tents. The soldiers will surely call now for the sensible classical military ponchos that are made to cover a trench, and not developed for camping sites.

We will see. There is suddenly a lot of money in the market now.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
If I understand the goretex fabric properties you need to build up heat to allow the water vapour to pass through the fabric. With a poncho open at the bottom it's not going to allow the build up of heat to pass through.

Reactions: DocG

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I haven’t tried it, but Fjallraven make a poncho - in G1000? It’s about £100, but if you’re looking for a bespoke Goretex poncho...

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
Some survival packs in British Military aircraft used to include a Goretex poncho, made by GQ-Irvin. It is the same design as the army-issue 58 pattern nylon poncho, but is reversible (green on the outside, white on the inside) so it could provide some concealment for downed aircrew in winter.
They are sometimes available on Ebay; it's called the Mk.3 poncho.
The poppers along the edges allow it to be used as a sleeping bag cover/bivvy bag.
I tried one out a few years ago and used it during a cold trek in the Cairngorms. The goretex fabric worked well as a bivvy bag on the two dry nights that I bivvied, but it was mainly used as a shelter sheet instead.
If I can find the details of the seller, I will let you know. Recently gave mine away...too much clobber in the attic these days.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
As has been said before, you need your body heat and a temperature differential to make Gore-tex work in the way it claims it can. Immediately, the very cut and style of the poncho would prevent that from working as effectively as it might.

I've used a poncho in the tropics to protect me from the worst of those tropical storms but it was pretty rubbish. I saw another backpacker trying to use one on the GR20 in Corsica during a violent storm, where it acted more like a sail, just blowing him around - rather alarming near the sharp ridges and sizeable drops! It strikes me that, as the love-child of a tarp and a waterproof jacket, ponchos give you the worst of both worlds; I would always take a separate tarp and jacket rather than have to deal with the fudged compromise of a poncho. Having the two would be worth every extra gramme of weight! But then, that is only my opinion...!

Reactions: nigelp

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Some survival packs in British Military aircraft used to include a Goretex poncho, made by GQ-Irvin. It is the same design as the army-issue 58 pattern nylon poncho, but is reversible (green on the outside, white on the inside) so it could provide some concealment for downed aircrew in winter.
They are sometimes available on Ebay; it's called the Mk.3 poncho.
The poppers along the edges allow it to be used as a sleeping bag cover/bivvy bag.
I tried one out a few years ago and used it during a cold trek in the Cairngorms. The goretex fabric worked well as a bivvy bag on the two dry nights that I bivvied, but it was mainly used as a shelter sheet instead.
If I can find the details of the seller, I will let you know. Recently gave mine away...too much clobber in the attic these days.
I have one of the air force reversable gortex poncho's in my 'collection', never seen other.
Also often wandered why a newer version isn't available.
Preper

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE