Sleeping out tonight - hammock or bivi?

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
SWMBO has granted me a pass to hit the woods tonight. We've got about 8 inches of snow here, so should be fun.

I'm torn between my NX-250 hammock with snugpak underquilt, and a bivi. I'm assuming the hammock will be warmer if I do it right, but I've never tried it in these temperatures. Any experience/suggestions? I'm heading out in an hour or so.

Cheers

Tobes

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hammock all the way for me I reckon, the Snugpak paired with a decent bag should keep you toasty enough. The lowest I've been down to with mine was around -5 and I slept right through.
Maybe sling a sleep mat and your bivvy in as well and see how it goes.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hammock all the way mate with underblanket and sleep mate and a wool blanket on top of sleeping bag and even put blaket and sleeping bag in bivi bag

drew

ps basically same as shewie ooops should have read other posts first

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've slept in the hammock with a Snugpak underblanket and quilt combo dow to minus 5. For me that was the limit of the quilt, and would take a sleeping bag instead next time.

The underblanket is a must though...

Hammock all the way for me too

Simon

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I'd use a ground mat, sleeping bag and my goretex bivvy bag. There are no bugs on the ground this time of year and it's warmer than swinging in a hammock with lots of air flow around you.

To make things really toastie, light a long fire alongside your bed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE