Snugpak Softie 9 or 10?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I'm out a lot (100+ days per year) but have never camped as I always wander back in the evenings but next year things are going to have to be a little different and I'm going to give the camping out thing a try. For the most part this is because I've fished all the trout lochs I can walk to in a day and now need to do an overnight to get at new ones.

I tend to like to be quite warm in my bed and there is no way I'm doing this to be uncomfortable, I haven't joined the army and I've no intention of pretending that I have.

I will be camping, in a tent, on the Lewis moor in the outer Hebrides and probably most of my outings will be June - October so night time low temperatures will be around 0 - 10 degrees. I'm going to buy a good quality mat, probably an Xtherm.

The Snugpak range attracts me because of the full length zips and reasonable weight and bulk for the warmth plus a little bit of water resistance and they seem fairly well made. Down bags are out as the feathers cause my lungs to stop working and then I die unless they can get me to hospital, if I can avoid it I'd rather not die just yet. Although I like to be warm and tend to feel the cold a little in bed my feet often get too hot so with the full length zip I can hang them out while keeping the rest warm. The neck baffle of the Softie 10 seemed like a good idea plus the fact that it was rated a little warmer as everyone says the Snugpak ratings are a work of fiction.

So, is the Softie 10 worth a little extra bulk and weight over the 9 or would the 9 do just as good a job for my relatively simple needs? All views gratefully received, as are all suggestions for alternative bags but although I like mil surplus I'm not going down the surplus route for a bag as they are somewhat more bulky etc.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Personally, I've never found them that warm (I've got a 12). Have a look at other brands as well, there are lots of suggestions on Outdoor magic, but perhaps think about more than one bag. October in the Outer Hebrides is going to be a bit different from June!

I'd be thinking of the MH Lamina O range and the ME Starlight III or IV. Both are about the same price as the Snugpak 10 , possibly pack down slightly smaller/lighter, and are warmer. Wait til the sales, and you might get a good deal.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I like them and use a one season centre zip merlin. If cold i just wear a sweater or fleese and hat. So if packing no problem go for the 10. I think my old harrier model I sold for the merlin was a 10 (poss 12) and this was too warm for me.

Is handy to sleep in clothes just in case you have had to much rum before bed time:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE