Sleeping mats, bivvy bags and hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
While waiting for my first metatarsal to recover enough for me to go for an amble in the woods, I'm currently spending *next years* bonus buying kit, as I'm a sad geardo.

I've got a couple of hammocks from the inestimable MagiKelly, and am looking forward to kipping in on. It can get a bit froz up here, and I know that even my Nanok -10 bag will compress under my mighty weight [I'm 6'3", in EFB size].

I've got a reflective windscreen cover to tuck under me, but I've read that an open cell/Thermarest mat might be better.

Now, some have these under the bag, and end up sleeping in the hammock with the mat over them; some, wedge them in the bag [wouldn't that be a bit tight?].

What's the best sort of mat to get?
While I'm convinced by a hammock, I can conceive that I might sleep somewhere *without* trees.

I've also got a Goretex Bivvy Bag [army surplus].
Would I use a mat *inside* that, but under the bag - or rest the bivvy bag on top of the mat, with my in my sleeping bag inside the bivvy bag - beneath the basha?

I've looked at the Thermarest Prolite 4 [I just have a sneaky feeling with my age and heft I would prefer a full length mat...] and am currently veering towards the Airic.

Any thoughts?

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
take a look here:

http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html

lots of good info on how to stay warm in a hammock.

Underquilts are the best, but you loose out if you have to take to the ground, although there is a halfway house in that you sling your hammock between two hiking poles on top of your mat, the mat takes most of your weight, the poles [guyed] shape the hammock and fly......

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I think you are on the right track to start with. Its really a matter of trying whats best for you, thats easier said than done if you do not have access to equipment to test out. I use my thermarest (not inflated, I find if inflated it ends up being kicked from under me) inside the bivvy bag with the nanok ontop of the thermarest also inside the bivvy bag. I feel the cold (too skinny) and have found this arrangment is fine as it is usually the wind that gets chills you, but the bivvy helps stop that. Also in the morining when you get the lovely cold dew floating about, you will keep everything nice and dry inside the bag (especially useful if you need to get away). If I find I am still too cold then I can start putting clothes back on inside the bag to keep warm (i.e. socks and then a hat).

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I never use a bivi bag with the hammock. Just to much hassle trying to get into it and I have never needed it.

I use a full length thin thermarest inside the sleeping bag when in the hammock. I have recently changed my cold weather kit in that I now only use the -19 bag. I used to nest it in the 0 bag with the thremarest between them but now realize that is overkill. I have the thermarest inflated but it will still shape round you no problem in the bag. Also because it is thin it does not take up too much space.

The only bit that occasionally gets a bit cold is the backs of my arms as they are not resting on the thremarest and are compressing the sleeping bag. I am going o try using a short piece of a foam sleeping mat and having this form a cross, i.e. going under my arm behind my back and under my other arm. I expect this to keep me warm to silly temperatures. Also I can use this foam mat as a sit mat round camp and not worry about it getting punctured, as I do with the thremarest.

On the few times I have used the bivi on the ground I have had the mat in the bivi under the sleeping bag but you want a level bit of ground so you do not slide about to much.

Hope that help.

I use a full length thermarest outside my bviv bag, this is mostly because the thermarest is too filthy to go anywhere near my sleeping bag. The other advantage to having it on the outside of the bivi bag is that if I get too hot during the night I can roll off the mat and let the ground soak up some of the heat. If the main concern is being too cold then there is a warmer mat than thermarest. Millets do one that is luminous pink on one side and bright blue on the other. Someone gave me two of them but I can't use them as they are just too warm! I now have them stashed away incase of visitors.

strapping the mat vertically to the side of your rucksack rather than accross the top or bottom means it doesn't stick out too much. Far more manageable.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'd agree with Magikelly - use a thermarest inside a sleeping bag - if you use it outside, you're likely to find it digging into you at a strange angle as it moves around the hammock.

I've also just got hold of a small deerskin which I intend to try out next time I'm out in the hammock - the theory is that it should provide enough insulation against drafts, but also give a bit of grip (currently my sleeping bag slides around a lot in the hammock).

trauma

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Midlands, UK
www.razortooth.co.uk
i use a thermarest inside my bivvi bag, under my sleeping bag when on the ground, but often don't bother with a bivvi in a hammock.

sleeping bags:
Snugpak Antarctica SE for winter and a Softie Kestral for summer

Bivvi Bag:
DPM gore-tex got issued a couple of spares just as i left the marines ;)

Mat:
Thermarest Prolite 3 (Regular)

Hammock:
Hennessy A-Sym

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Thanks guys; loads of good answers there.

I took the plunge and ordered a Thermarest in the end - full length. Got a Prolite 3 regular for £52 delivered which seemed OK. Choice in the end largely down to recommendation - and *pack size*.

Now just hope the foot gets better soon.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Expensive? in comparison to a good quality sleeping bag?
The site also has instructions for making your own underquilt from scratch. And when you look at the prices, he's not making THAT much money from each quilt. I'm sure it would be fairly easy to convert an old sleepingbag into an underquilt.

Neil Mac'

Jan 14, 2006
Midlands
Hi folks,

In answer to the first question, if you're using a bivvi bag on the ground you usually need something underneath it. The problem with goretex bivvi bags is that if you lie in a puddle the water soaks through the membrane. I found this out 18 years ago when I first used my Survival Aids bivvi bag (How much?!!! - they were just expensive back then!)

I had a Survival Aids fibrepile/pertex sleeping bag and the bivvi bag and lay down on what turned out to be a soggy piece of ground. It wasn't obvious until late on when I felt a bit damp. Shining my torch in the bag I saw a puddle of water big enough to bail out with a mess tin. I couldn't get to bail it out so shuffled to a drier patch and went to sleep. By morning everything was bone dry which does say a lot for fibrepile / pertex / goretex in combination.

I don't always use a foam mat under the bivvi bag but something waterproof is still a good idea unless you're sleeping on very well drained ground.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Mid December at -5 and I was using a closed cell mat in my hammock,under a Nanok 0 bag. Kept waking up due to cold on my back.
Am still debating on whether to get a double sheepskin or a Fat Airic mat. Any thoughts???
Ian.

Burt

Jan 16, 2005
South Lincolnshire
Hello all, Just put my twopenneth in; sheepskin would be good but a bit bulky? cheap though, about £40 from my butcher of all places.

I also used a survival aids bivvi bag when they first came out, I was in an o.p and had to hot bag it, i felt quite smug cause everyone else was in the billy issue army ones and dreaded having to get into one of them.......ended up in one though and the poor so and so in mine woke up soaked, cursing whoevers bag he'd had to sleep in! I on the other hand was happy as a pig in.....!

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
I use a homemade 'Pad Extender' which allows you to add 'closed cell' wings either side of a thermarest when using it under a sleeping bag in a hammock. This means your shoulders, elbows and knees still remain warm even if you side sleep curled up.
Look at the Speer Hammocks site for better explanation.

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

Doesn't take too long to knock up on the old 'Singer'. Only adds a few ounces to your setup but gives you a damn good nights sleep - even for 'wrigglers' like me !
I've also made a pertex undershield which only weighs 10oz with Krabs. This allows me to stick all my waterproofs and jacket etc between the under shell and the hammock to provide 'dead' air space and reduce the heat being sapped by the breeze. This seems to work quite well for me.

Thermarest and Bivvy bag ? - Thermarest inside for me. Its only the bivvy bag thats damp when packed up then and not the mat as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE