Sleeping Bag In a Can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Dated 1952, this M1949 sleeping bag is vacuumed sealed in a can, unopened for 65 years. Free local pickup. I also have another identical one that I will list shortly.
Ebay

s-l1600.jpg

Just when you think you've seen it all, Ebay throws up something fascinatingly weird.
I don't want or need it, hell I can't afford it but I really want to see inside it :geek:

Does anybody know anything about why these were produced ?

Reactions: Lithril

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
From what I've read online, this may be have been issued to USAF pilots as part of a survival kit, this is the only reference I can find,
"This bag is listed in the 50s edition of the USAF Survival Training manual (AFM 64-4, 1954 ed.) but was phased out for the compressed bag used throughout the 60s into the 90s. Some vendors call them U-2 survival kit bags though they were the standard bag in all CW kits until replaced by the vacuum packed orange bags."

Source: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...1-vacume-packed-m-1949-mountain-sleeping-bag/

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
not that much loft. I was reminded of a trip through Copenhagen airport many years ago. The duty free shop had king size eider down duvets, vacum packed into a box not mch bigger than a grapefruit. There was a warning on the side not to open until you got home. Needless to say, somebody could not wait and opened it in the departure lounge. It grew, and grew and grew to about 2 metresx2 metres, and about 15 cms thick. Absoultely no chance of it going back into the packaging, or even into a typical carry on bag. I last saw the lady draping/wrapping it around her shoulders as she went to board. A very good demo of the compressibility of down. I see that Wiggies offer vacum packs for their splendid sleep systems, but at $175 a pop its a bit pricey.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Must be my sense of humour but when he got in, in the road...... I was waiting for the truck to come and run him over as he found the zip sticks after all this time !!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE