Sleeping bag for big guy

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Dml

Nov 28, 2020
Uk
Hi
I'm new to the concept of wild camping and looking for some advise on modular sleep systems and 3/4 season bags. I've camped all my life in all seasons in the UK and Europe but always in a tent and with facilities.
I'm looking to use throughout the year in the UK and Germany with a bivvy and tarp or possibly a hammock.
I've been looking at both the british and dutch modular bags and the original carinthia defence 4 although I'm led to believe they are all essentially the same do they vary in size ? im a big 6'2 guy with a 49"chest . I've also looked at the snugpak special forces 2 although it is narrower than the carinthia it does have an option of an expander insert and the dd hammocks jura although the temp rating isn't as low at-5 .
What temperature rating should I realistically be looking at if sleeping clothed and booted ?

Just wondered if any of you larger guys have had experience with these bags or could offer an alternative?

Thanks in advance

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I am 6'5'' and have the Carinthia Defence 4 and Tropen combo , both in the 200 size. For the first time since I was a kid I have sleeping bags that fit me! Their warmth rating is accurate, sleep in them in normal sleeping clothes and you will be a lot warmer than "clothed and booted".

Reactions: CLEM

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I’m a similar size to you. 6’5 & big build under the fat layer. I have a Blue Kazoo Long bag which is a good size for me. I also have a Rock and Run down bag in XL which is also pretty roomy and super-warm.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’ve been looking in to a new bag for a while now, the Carinthia Defence 4 is where I reckon I am headed meself. I’am bit of a lump myself 6ft and really bulky shoulders chest & back, to make matters worse I think I am slightly claustrophobic. At the very least I can’t bare the feeling of feeling restricted in any way, I can’t work indoors for long periods and long hall flights are absolute torture but that’s summat else again lol
Anyway if this model fits someone 6ft5 then I reckon there’s a good chance it’ll be cock on for me too

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I use the snugpak softie range. I have the 3, 6 and 9.
3 merlin for summer, 9 hawk for winter. 6 for in-between.
I use the expander panels, with which they will fit you with some room.
For extreme cold you can put one inside the other. I have a baffle for this but have yet to use it.
Workes for me in all seasons :)
Preper...........

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I use the Snugpak Special Forces System because in my opinion it is better thought through than the Carinthia system.

The SF1 works for me until 0*C keeping on the clothing of the day. But it's recommended until 5*C, and that's right.

You put the SF2 (which has different to the Carinthia Defence 4 a warmth collar) into the SF1. Should the SF1 get a bit damp, it dries faster than the warmer bag of course.

In the Carinthia system you put the summer bag into the winter bag.

The SF zipper adapter makes the bags a bit wider, so in conditions you put them together there fits into warmer clothing too.

You enter in this case the system by using only one zipper, not two like in the Carinthia system.

But to put it all together correctly, you need to take it out of the bivvy bag.
The Tropen or Defence 1 you can simply stuff into the other if it's in its bivvy.

The combination of Snugpak SF1 and its bivvy is outstanding light and compact. That's the main reason why I did choose this system.

Interesting is also to compare the prices and weights of the Carinthia and Snugpak bivvy bag, before you start with one of the systems.
I am convinced that both are worth the money. But they are very different.

I prefere to sleep in the clothing of the day but put the boots off. I don't want the dirt in my sleeping bags and it's very uncomfortable on top.
The boots need the night to dry.

I carry the very light Defcon 5 poncho and can use it as little tarp or just put it over the boots if needed.

The SF1 in its bivvy bag fits well into the 7 litres Ortlieb dry bag PS10, by the way.

This summer version enables me together with other well thought through light and compact equipment to use down to 0*C only the 34 litres original Bundeswehr Jägerrucksack Cordura, which is still made by HEIM in Germany and sold for 75 € via ASMC.

My 3 season equipment is with approximately 6 kg base weight nearly ultra light and could also be forced down to a really ultra light equipment by using mainly such extremely light stuff with NATO stock numbers. But I prefere to keep it a bit more robust and comfortable and carry my 6 kg total weight. For me that's comfortable enough on the back and a good compromise for stealth camping.

The oliv green Snugpak bags are cheaper than the camouflage versions, and blend well into German surroundings.

The rain flap of the Carinthia bivvy bag is made to sleep on the right side in heavy weather, the zipper flap of the Snugpak SF bivvy bag is made to sleep on the left side.
For Germany a bivvy bag with a zipper is a good idea, because here it can become pretty warm. Not only if used in a tent such a zipper bivvy bag is more comfortable to enter than the British army bivvy bag without it.

The Snugpak SF bivvy bag is an Asian product, the Snugpak SF sleeping bags are made in Britain with a Swiss filling.

The Carinthia system is made in Austria and Czechia, as far I am right.
It's bivvy bag is far heavier but surely far longer lasting. But if not bought used as a Bundeswehr surplus item the Carinthia bivvy bag is pretty pricy compared to the Asian Snugpak bivvy bag.

Both systems exist in several sizes which you can find on the makers homepages.

Last edited:

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.