sleep outside in winter in nanok bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Ogden said:
But be careful: Ajungilak is now part of the Mammut company. And the quality
is not too good anymore.

Oh nuts... Why is it that all good things have 1 downside that is pretty important to me? :confused: :banghead:

Nanok: good and cheap, but too wide (=cold)...
Ajungilak: had a good reputation, but quality getting less...
RAB: Very good, but £££££ :yikes:
Buffalo: Bombproof, but bulky and with central zip...

Life goes on I guess... :) :)

Bjorn

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Bjorn Victor said:
Oh nuts... Why is it that all good things have 1 downside that is pretty important to me? :confused: :banghead:

Nanok: good and cheap, but too wide (=cold)...
Ajungilak: had a good reputation, but quality getting less...
RAB: Very good, but £££££ :yikes:
Buffalo: Bombproof, but bulky and with central zip...

Life goes on I guess... :) :)

Bjorn

Hello Bjorn,

The Nanok Endurance bags are a little large, and as Too Much has mentioned, the 0º bag is oversized, either to allow a -10º bag to be fitted inside, or to allow a fully dressed soldier to sleep in it with some ease of movement. The extra room is also useful should you wish to store your boots inside, water bottles, and anything else you would not want to freeze during the night. They are very good bags, I have two.

If you would like a bag with a closer fit, you could try Alpkit. I have one of their bags, and it’s much snugger. They are goose down filled, so they will pack down to a smaller size, and are a very reasonable price. The Alpkit bags come with a compression sack, and an additional very large sack that you can use to store the bag in an uncompressed state (Which as you probably know is better for long-term storage of down bags).

The bags come in a number of lengths and you have the option of a left or right-handed zip. The Web page below has detailed dimensions at the bottom of the page.

The -12º bag:
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16155&category_id=253

Best regards,
Paul.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I had the same problem as Moduser on the same camp. I wasn't exactly cold... but I definitley wasn't warm - and there were pockets that seemed to be quite cold in the bag. However, having said this, I'd had it compressed in its sack for (most of) the previous 2 months, and it's possible that the lining had compressed a bit. I've had it open and hanging for the last 3 weeks or so, and will be trying it again at the weekend - possibly in a hammock!

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Had an opportunity last night to test out a recently acquired Alpkit AlpineDream 500.

OK, it was only around 4ºC in the London area (High winds with rain), but the bag rated at comfort -5ºC (And inside a bivi bag and with a five season, foam Multimat) kept me seriously ‘toasty’ throughout the night (Wool hat/Nanok Air Jacket/cheap cotton Long Johns/thick wool socks).

I spent several hours with my upper body out of the bag while reading a book.

This info might help the ladies, as I understand that you need a bag rated around 5ºC above the comfort rating, compared to men.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
As it was 4ºC again last night I though it would be a good opportunity to do a comparison between the Nanok Endurance 0º, and the Alpkit -5º that I slept in the night before last.

As some have expressed a concern about the greater volume of air that needs to be warmed and maintained by body heat, it might be useful to post my impressions of how the two bags compared during use at the same air temperature. I know that the two temperature ratings of the bags invalidate the comparison to a large extent, but I was aiming at comparing the difficulties of maintaining the temperature of the differing volumes of air inside the two bags.

At midnight the temperature was 4ºC, and I was dressed as I was when using the Alpkit, and using the same Multimat five season foam mat, and in exactly the same location. There was less rain during the night than their was the night before last, and with no wind this time.

Overall, there wasn’t much difference in the performance of the two bags. The Alpkit bag was marginally more comfortable in the sense that the slightly thicker loft of the down filling made the foam mat seem marginally softer, and seemed to have a more 'cosy' feel.

I found that the two bags kept me equally warm, despite the different ratings and the larger volume of air to be warmed and maintained to a comfortable temperature in the Nanok. Near the zips, the interior of the Nanok was a little cooler to the touch of the hand, and in the upper part of the bag only. The areas of the body that were clothed were not aware of this cooling near the zips (I can’t see the point of sleeping in a bag at this time of year in brief underwear, even at the relatively mild temperature of 4º).

The only thing to add is that I don’t generate as much body heat as I did in my twenties, so I’m hot a ‘hot sleeper’ as I once was. So I don’t think that I would find it unusually easy to heat the larger internal volume of air in the Nanok.

Obviously there are dangers involved in trying to extrapolate from this pretty unscientific test what the performance of the Nanok Endurance -10º would be at an air temperature -10º, but it might give some useful indications.

Primarily I was interested in the speculations of others in this thread that the larger internal volume of the Nanok would be harder to maintain throughout the night than that of a closer fitting bag.

I imagine that the use of a liner would give a boost to the performance of both bags if they were used in lower temperatures, if that were needed.

Hope this has been of some use/interest.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Morning All,

OK, out again last night to take advantage of the 0ºC temperature at midnight.

Identical location as the two previous tests, but with slightly modified kit.

I swapped the wool hat for a fleece balaclava (Swazi), and I wore an inexpensive generic thin cotton long sleeve tee-shirt, and inexpensive generic thin cotton long johns, a Nanok Air Jacket, and thick wool socks (Ullfrotté). This time I also used a Snugpak Thermalon Liner inside the Nanok Endurance 0º bag. The Thermalon liner, for those who don’t know, is a close fitting liner made from stretch fabric. Again I used the five season Multimat foam mat, and a bivi bag (British Army).

I wore the balaclava turned up and off my face, and my head was not in the insulated hood of the bag, and the draw strings at the top of the bag and around the hood were not tightened.

I slept comfortably throughout the night. I woke at around 6.00am with a slightly cold nose, and noted that the temperature had dropped to -1º. I got out of the bag to urinate, take on some water, and a few mouthfuls of food. Whilst out of the bag I took the opportunity to swap the Snugpak liner for a Nanok cotton liner (Would have tried one of the Nanok silk liners from the start, if I’d had one). I pulled the balaclava fully down over my face, and returned to the bag for an hour or so, and found that the cotton liner was as effective as the Thermalon liner.

I have established to my own satisfaction that the Nanok bag has a realistic temperature rating. It might therefore, be fair to extrapolate, at this point, that the Nanok -10º bag would perform in an equally realistic way. Of course caution should be used with this kind of speculation, particularly with sub-zero temperatures.

I’ve only had the Nanok 0º bag for a few months and this has been the first opportunity I’ve had to test the bag at its comfort temperature rating. I am looking forward to testing the recently acquired -10º bag in a ‘cold snap’.

Hope this has been of interest, Bjorn :)

Oh, and none of the tests over the past three nights were done in a tent.

Looking forward to a plate of Swedish meatballs and baked beans (Both organic :D )

Best regards,
Paul.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Hi all,

Just been reading through this list of posts, and the last test seemed really good. I think it was a little unfair though to pull the bally down over you face in one liner and not the other. As we lose over 20% of our body heat through our head (not just where we have hair, or not if your bald like me) the test would only be fair if everything was exactly the same bar the differing liners.

But I always sleep as near to naked as posssible, and as long as I'm hydrated, and my bag is dry I never have a problem in temps down to -5 in a -5 rated caravan(made by ajungilak) bag. I just throw all my clothes in the bags with me and in the morning I always appreciate getting out of the bag and getting dressed. If you wear your clothes in there, its like standing in the cold all night well wrapped up, then taking your coat, hat, gloves off first thing in the morning.

My 2p worth and MVHO

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Along the same lines.

I need a new winter bag. I walk in the Cairngorms for a while in winter each year as well as further south and I intend to spend more time outdoors now the kids are a little bigger. So I'm down to 2:

Nanaok Endurance -10
or Rab goose down summit 750 -12.

I know all about miosture affecting it, but the Nanok is quite a bit heavier than the Rabs. OOOh decisions decisions.

Testimonials from owners please of both.

What should I do?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have not tried the Enddurance -10, only the Comfort -10 which is a better fit for my wide body. Frosty nights were, litterally, a dream and I realy rate Nanok clothing as well. For non-down bags I go for Snugpak, and realy rate their clothing - especially the Ventile - and bags as well!
John

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
richeadon said:
Sorry I must add that I have a way around the Rab prices so they will be comparable!

Anything you want to share with the group?? :D

TheGreenMan said:
Hope this has been of interest, Bjorn :)
Paul.

Oh yes!!!

Really interesting since I have the same foam matrass (my thermarest got punctured). Did you have the zips and drawcords all done up tight?

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
hawsome34 said:
Hi all,

Just been reading through this list of posts, and the last test seemed really good. I think it was a little unfair though to pull the bally down over you face in one liner and not the other. As we lose over 20% of our body heat through our head (not just where we have hair, or not if your bald like me) the test would only be fair if everything was exactly the same bar the differing liners.

But I always sleep as near to naked as posssible, and as long as I'm hydrated, and my bag is dry I never have a problem in temps down to -5 in a -5 rated caravan(made by ajungilak) bag. I just throw all my clothes in the bags with me and in the morning I always appreciate getting out of the bag and getting dressed. If you wear your clothes in there, its like standing in the cold all night well wrapped up, then taking your coat, hat, gloves off first thing in the morning.

My 2p worth and MVHO

Hello Hawsome34,

Thank you for your comments, which are very welcome.

I’m not pretending that any of the tests were scientific in any way, but hoped that they would be a little more revealing than a ‘I’ve got one and they’re great’ type post, which tells one pretty much nothing about any given product (This comment isn’t intended to insult those who do this, I do it myself sometimes when I’m pressed for time).

The swap from the Thermalon to the cotton liner was an impromptu thing that I did out of curiosity, and was as you say unfair in some respects. And the only reason I pulled the balaclava over my face was to warm my cold nose :) (Which may have been caused by the slight drop in temperature to below freezing while I was asleep).

There are so many variables involved with sleeping bags (And clothing) that it makes it very difficult to say that one bag is better than another, not to mention all the variables to be found among human bodies with differing rates of heat production and so forth. This is why I gave an indication of the amount of body heat I radiate (I can’t measure that, as I don’t have the scientific knowledge or equipment to measure such things), but I would describe myself as neither a ‘hot sleeper’ or a ‘cold sleeper’, which would make me perhaps ‘average’ and therefore a useful guide (The use of the word ‘average’ may also be contentious).

I thought that as I don’t run particularly ‘hot’ this might have been of use for any women reading, as I’m informed that a woman’s body temperature can be somewhat lower than men’s (And a man in his twenties runs the ‘hottest’ of all, according to a Mammut document I read).

I could have answered Bjorn’s question with a simple ‘Yes’, which would have answered all that he apparently was interested in. But what would anybody have learned from that? I chose to interpret his question as ‘Has anyone used an Endurance -10º at -10º?’ The answer to that question, if that was the question being asked, in my case, would have been ‘No’. So I tried to provide an answer where one could make a reasonably fair extrapolation - If one can sleep comfortably in a 0º Nanok bag at 0º this is an indicator that Nanok have temperature ratings that are realistic and reliable (Even with a larger internal volume to heat), therefore, sleeping in a -10º Nanok bag at -10º is probably an equally comfortable experience.

Of course the total lack of ‘feedback’ from Bjorn wasn’t helping any (This may be for good reasons, he might for instance, be in the Arctic Circle, and away from the computer…ah, I note, having just logged-in and refreshed the page, that Bjorn is back :rolleyes: ).

I take your point, Hawsome, about getting out of the bag and ‘…then taking your coat, hat, gloves off first thing in the morning…’ I found however that after putting on denim jeans and footwear, that the plunge in body temperature didn’t take place. The Nanok Air Jacket isn’t meant to be an outer garment anyway, and is somewhat akin to a quality fleece. If one were feeling the chill after emerging from the comfort of the bag, putting on an outer layer is always an option.

And if you can sleep in comfort in a bag outdoors at -5º and in brief underwear, then my guess is that you are a ‘hot sleeper’ and/or I need to urgently explore the Ajungilak bags! :D

Anyway, many thanks for your interesting comments.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Bjorn Victor said:
Anything you want to share with the group?? :D

Ditto! :lmao:

Bjorn Victor said:
Oh yes!!!

Really interesting since I have the same foam matrass (my thermarest got punctured). Did you have the zips and drawcords all done up tight?

Hello Bjorn :) ,

In the third test the zips were up almost to the top, and the drawcords were not pulled tight, also my head was not inside the bag's hood (As I think I mentioned :) )

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hello richeadon,

richeadon said:
...OOOh decisions decisions.

Ah, but they're such sweet agony! :)

richeadon said:
...Testimonials from owners please of both....

Can't help with the Rab I'm affraid, and I think everyone's heard quite enough from me so far on this one! :)

richeadon said:
...What should I do?

The only thing I can add, is that I understand that the use of a bivi bag pretty much negates the concerns of down becoming moisture laden unless you are out for an extended stay in very damp/wet conditions. Don’t forget that with the modern water repellent fabrics used on the bags these days, wet down is less likely than with the fabrics used in earlier times.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
John Fenna said:
I have not tried the Enddurance -10, only the Comfort -10 which is a better fit for my wide body. Frosty nights were, litterally, a dream and I realy rate Nanok clothing as well. For non-down bags I go for Snugpak, and realy rate their clothing - especially the Ventile - and bags as well!
John

I like you, are very enthusiastic about Nanok garments, John. I recently acquired one of the special contract versions of the Nanok Endurance SF cold weather jacket and pants (At £50!). I can't recommend it highly enough. I even read of someone who was proposing to use it in place of a sleeping bag.

And I think you would find the Nanok Endurance -10º equally generous if you're of big build, by the way.

Best regards,
Paul.

Reactions: Bjorn Victor

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
TheGreenMan said:
Of course the total lack of ‘feedback’ from Bjorn wasn’t helping any (This may be for good reasons, he might for instance, be in the Arctic Circle, and away from the computer…ah, I note, having just logged-in and refreshed the page, that Bjorn is back :rolleyes: ).
Paul.

Indeed I was away...

Please don't take my "total lack of feedback" as a sign of not being interested! I find it very nice and informative and I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier :eek:

I wonder how many degrees a cotton liner would add to the bag's limits? Oh, and I usually wear t-shirt and shorts in the bag... Even if it is cold outside. I'm also glad you did not spent the night in a tent. This makes it easier for me to compare to your situation as I sleep under a tarp.

Thanks for doing this test Paul. I really appreciate it. I hope you had some fun in the process...

Bjorn

I used my -10 inside the 0 in a hammock this weekend with the BCUK underblanket. I have to say how incedibly warm I was - fantastic.

I only did the -10 up at the zips, I didn't bother pulling the elastic tensioners around my head and shoulders, and I did not do the 0 upbeyond the waist level and just laid it over the top. Very impressed with these bags in the hammock and I would not be worried about using them in colder weather than this weekend - when I went to the car at 8:00am this morning the dash display hovered btween -1 and -2.

Phil.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I used my -10 with an under blanket and like TMKTC didn't bother pulling in the draw cords etc.

Toastie :D

Considering my comments earlier from sleeping in it on the ground this was a relief.

The fact that the hammock wraps round me meant that the largeness of the -10 wasn't a problem and cold spots couldn't form.

It's a good bag but unless your of a size to fill it expect cold spots.

I'm tempted to slim mine down a bit and then it will be good in all situations.

David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE