sleep outside in winter in nanok bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Bjorn Victor said:
Indeed I was away...

Please don't take my "total lack of feedback" as a sign of not being interested! I find it very nice and informative and I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier :eek: ...

No problem, Bjorn, nothing to be embarrassed about :)

Bjorn Victor said:
...I wonder how many degrees a cotton liner would add to the bag's limits?...

That’s another question that is difficult to answer, again because of all the variables involved - What bag? What liner? The state of the health of the user, how good the user’s blood circulation is, the age of the user, how well the user has eaten etc, and the actual weather conditions at the time of use, and last but not least, the sex of the user.

What I’d like to read is a comparison between the Nanok cotton and silk liners. I’ve heard that silk is much better to use in cold weather as it is a poor conductor of heat.

Bjorn Victor said:
...Thanks for doing this test Paul. I really appreciate it. I hope you had some fun in the process...

Bjorn

You’re welcome, and thanks, I did have fun :D

All the best,
Paul.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Well, you know what they say: "when opportunity calls, you have to answer" (or something like that :) )

I had a chance to buy a Rab Quantum 600 with Pertex Endurance outer shell for a VERY good price! The bag had been used twice in a tent with a liner, so it was virtually new!
Comfort temp is -12 and RAB is also pretty serious about their temp ratings!
Also, these bags are narrow (75cm, which is ideal for my skinny frame) and light (which is great 'cause I go trekking in the mountains and need to carry all in my backpack).

I hope to get it before Friday, so I can test it during the holidays...

I'll report back fo those who are interested.

Many thanks again to all who added to this thread. I am sure Nanok are great bags, but just too wide for me (and also a bit on the heavy side).

Bjorn

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Have fun Bjorn!

Rab bags always seem to be great but I just know I'll end up getting the down wet. Hence today I ordered both the Nanock Endurance 0 and -10 from Andrew at Outdoorcode. After reading everything said about them on here it could only be them.

Can't wait to get them and try them :D

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Did anybody of you ever tested the old Ajungilak Tyin Elite for outside sleeping
without tent? Pertex inner, all olive, no zips (kind of an old Denali) and warm...
It is rated for -20 or -30 C, and heavy, but you can forget about bivy or poncho.
Really a nice feeling sleeping outside in the damned cold in a completely wet
sleeping bag and falling asleep with a smile...
Best sleeping bag I have ever seen.
-And if the Nanok is too wide: why not having a narrow liner outside of the
sleeping bag? I learned this to be the common way-

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
AndyW said:
Have fun Bjorn!

Rab bags always seem to be great but I just know I'll end up getting the down wet. Hence today I ordered both the Nanock Endurance 0 and -10 from Andrew at Outdoorcode. After reading everything said about them on here it could only be them.

Can't wait to get them and try them :D

Hello AndyW,

If at anytime in the future you would like to buy a down filled bag, don’t worry too much about the down getting wet. The down bag that Bjorn bought has a Pertex fabric shell, which would prevent the down from becoming wet. I know that Pertex is only water resistant, but it should keep the down dry in most conditions under some sort of shelter such as a tarp (and for a good while without overhead protection). Stick the bag inside a bivi, and it’s pretty much guaranteed to stay dry, unless you were using it continuosly for months in monsoon conditions :umbrella:

I think the concerns about wet down only really applies to bags with the old, non-water resistant shell fabrics.

Hope you like the Nanoks :)

Best regards,
Paul.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
TheGreenMan said:
Hello AndyW,

If at anytime in the future you would like to buy a down filled bag, don’t worry too much about the down getting wet. The down bag that Bjorn bought has a Pertex fabric shell, which would prevent the down from becoming wet. I know that Pertex is only water resistant, but it should keep the down dry in most conditions under some sort of shelter such as a tarp (and for a good while without overhead protection). Stick the bag inside a bivi, and it’s pretty much guaranteed to stay dry, unless you were using it continuosly for months in monsoon conditions :umbrella:

I think the concerns about wet down only really applies to bags with the old, non-water resistant shell fabrics.

Hope you like the Nanoks :)

Best regards,
Paul.
Just a thought but would fog, sweat, morning dew etc be an issue even with the pertex liner. I think you can wash the nanock in your washing machine but if the pertex has any breathability at all then i would the persistant wet of the above conditions be an issue?
I tell you what made me think. I took my boys camping at the weekend and they were in their own tents whilst i was in a hammock. My oldest woke with a soaked bag around the feet where he had been touching the tent wall all night and the wet had got in. Also , if the pertex is not breathable i imagine the sweat will quickly be an issue. :)

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Thanks Paul I hadn't appreciated that some of them now had a Pertex shell. I haven't done much camping (other than holiday camps) for a few years and just remember how clumsy I was a few times spilling drinks and stuff :eek:

Dismissed Down bags because of the worry I'll go and do it again :(

I've never used a bivy bag yet. In the past I'd just sleep under the stars so haven't been sure how breathable they are and, as bilko says, worry that sweat etc might make a Down bag damp.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just wondering how does the Snugpak Softie Elite compare to the Nanook Endurance sleeping bags? Does it have the same problem with regards cold spots?

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
The very first bag I ordered was one of the Snugpaks with a NSN, what turned up was an Elite 2 (not a good start). The Elite 2 has a comfort rating of to down to 0º, is smaller when in its compression sack, and lighter in weight than the Nanok Endurance 0º. As a result, the Snugpak is one big ‘cold spot’.

Wish I could say something more positive about a British product.

Merry Chrimbo :) ,
Paul.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thought this might prove useful to some...

I was sleeping out under a hootchie on sat night (23rd Dec 06), About six miles north of Peebles, altitude about 370 and lowest temp through the night was about -4.

We were camped in a birch wood with some cover from prevailing winds provided by deadfall and gorse. I used a Thermarest closed cell mat, my girlfriend used a 3/4 Thermarest inflatable mat.

I slept in an RM Osprey with no clothes on :) and my head was slightly chilly at around 05:00 otherwise I was more than comfortable.

My girlfriend (who was dressed :)) slept next to me in an RM Golden Eagle, she was also quite toasty, however she's a bit short and dissapeared into the bottom of the bag for an hour or so.

I also own a Nanok 0 degree bag and I used to have the -10, I found that they performed as well as the RM bags, however the RM bags have better zips and a better designed inner 'baffle' to keep the heat in. That said the RM bags are huge and don't readily pack down to a small size.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
bilko said:
Just a thought but would fog, sweat, morning dew etc be an issue even with the pertex liner...

The Pertex shell is on the outside of the bag and is not the liner, so fog, morning dew, drizzle, and moderate rain will not penetrate the Pertex fabric on the outside of the bag. The interior fabric is not made from Pertex, so the interior of the bag will not prevent moisture given off from the human body, through the process of transpiration, making its way through the various layers of the bag’s construction and out into the air.

However, best practice is to turn the bag inside-out everyday, when in use, to allow the bag to be ‘aired’, rather like turning down ones bedding for a while in the morning to allow the mattress to be ‘aired’, before making the bed once more. Once you have turned the bag inside-out, hang it up so air can circulate around the entire bag, so that any body moisture given off during the night can evaporate.

bilko said:
...I think you can wash the nanock in your washing machine but if the pertex has any breathability at all then i would the persistant wet of the above conditions be an issue?...

If you mean using a down sleeping bag in monsoon conditions, then you wouldn’t do that anyway because it is too warm during a monsoon (unless you are at altitude). And during a monsoon season the combination of warmth and very high humidity creates problems with everything. I’ve not been in monsoon conditions myself, but I do know someone who had problems with paperback books turning mouldy, as did everything that they had with them that was made of leather. In these conditions plastics of all types (including the fabrics of modern sleeping bags and especially synthetic fillings) have the advantage because they do not rot. I imagine that feathers would rot readily under such conditions.

Most bags of most types (including down) are machine washable, but I would avoid this as much as possible, as maintaining the water-resistant qualities of the fabrics can be reduced by frequent washing, and can require a lot of special care to restore the water-resistant qualities.

A better solution, in my opinion, is to use a separate sleeping bag liner (this is not to be confused with the lining fabric that is an integral part of the sleeping bag). Sleeping bag liners serve several useful purposes. Firstly, they prevent the inside of the sleeping bag from becoming dirty, secondly, they are more easily laundered than the sleeping bags themselves, thirdly, in colder weather they add warmth to the bag, and fourthly, in very hot weather they can be used on there own without a sleeping bag. Sleeping bag liners come in a variety of fabrics including cotton, silk, Pertex (which is both cooling and breathable in hot weather), and thermal fabrics.

bilko said:
...My oldest woke with a soaked bag around the feet where he had been touching the tent wall all night and the wet had got in...

If you have the type of tent that allows water to pass through the tent fabric after contact with an object, then you need a new tent, as well as new bags for the boys (good thing that the January sales will soon be with us :D )

bilko said:
...Also , if the pertex is not breathable i imagine the sweat will quickly be an issue. :)

Pertex is breathable, and I think that the concerns with body moisture can at times be given too much emphasis. This only becomes a real problem/danger in extreme sub-zero temperatures. In such conditions the advice is to resist the temptation to put ones head inside the bag, as the moisture from ones breath can turn to ice inside the bag.

Merry Chrimbo :)
Paul

PS: Apologies for not responding sooner, was having a problem a while ago with email notifications for subscribed thread not being sent from the BCUK server, then when I looked back at this thread yesterday, I overlooked your post.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
AndyW said:
Thanks Paul....

You're welcome, Andy :)

AndyW said:
...I've never used a bivy bag yet. In the past I'd just sleep under the stars so haven't been sure how breathable they are and, as bilko says, worry that sweat etc might make a Down bag damp.

Light-weight bivi bags are very good indeed, as well as adding an extra layer of protection in torrential rain, they also add warmth to the bag in cold weather. The olive green British Army gortex bivi is a very nice one.

Don’t get too hung-up on this trapped body moisture thing. The only thing that I’d avoid is sleeping in a polythene bag (unless it’s a bright orange one, and you’re inside it because you ‘got caught with your trousers down’ on an open moor/mountain side and are waiting to be rescued by helicopter from the unexpected blizzard <chuckle>).

Merry Chrimbo :)
Paul.

PS: Apologies for not responding sooner, was having a problem a while ago with email notifications for subscribed thread not being sent from the BCUK server, then when I looked back at this thread yesterday, I overlooked your post.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
sandbender said:
Thought this might prove useful to some...

As an add on to my previous post...

On Sunday the 21st January I slept in a snow trench under the stars near Kiruna, Sweden, the sky was clear and temperatures hovered around -35 degrees centigrade.

I slept in an RM Golden Eagle sleeping bag which sat within a Terra Nova gore Tex Bivie and atop a Thermarest 'foam' sleeping mat. I wore Ulfrotte 200 leggings and long sleeve shirt and a single pair of thorlo mountaineering socks.

I had a comfortable nights sleep, although my toes were a little cold by the morning.

Reactions: TheGreenMan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE