sleep outside in winter in nanok bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I should think plenty of us do. Although possibly not all in a Nanok. I personally use a Snugpak Premier 3, but I also have an underblanket. Wouldn't even think about it without one.

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
As Fallow Way. I did it last December. Temp dropped to -5 in the open and -3 in the pine forest we basha'd in. No problems from me. Actually - I had another edition to Fallow Way - I wore a fleece hat pulled down over my eyes and nose- I hate having a cold head!!! Yes, it makes me look like a lemon - but, as the saying goes, any fool can be cold!

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Same here, used one regularly last winter under a tarp with no problems at all, even with a heavy frost.

Dave

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Bjorn Victor said:
Do any of you sleep outside in a nanok endurance -10 in winter?

Under a tarp, not in a tent?

Thanks,

Bjorn

Not the Nanok -10 but I have the N -20 or -25 dont remember. Its ok and a great sack while having a fire in the tent. One time I was sleeping in a snowcave in minus 25 celsius with all my cloth on, no fire etc and it was ok, but not terrible cozy.
cheers
Abbe

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Big old cheap MOD winter bag/bivy bag and more than comfortable :eek: 2 Weeks ago it got to -4 at night acording to watch thermometer :yikes: but i was toasty. A couple of simple things learnt were
1./ choose your tarp point only after lying down in yer sleeping position :rolleyes:
2./ mat in inside your bivy bag as every time you move around you have to heat up that patch of floor again so slippage is not good :(
3./ good wooly hat !
4./ If it gets too cold get yr head inside your bivybag but NOT in your sleeping bag and you will stay warmer without getting the bag wet an cold.

I slept the other week in pretty cold uk conditions (-4ish) but as to how comfortable it was..... .........went to sleep about 10pm max :eek: after a few rums and didnt wake up till 8 lol i cant sleep in that long on a sunday :D

Interesting thread esp. as I shall be using my Nanok bags for the first time this weekend at the Christmas Moot. I will be taking both the 0 and -10 and I won't be concerned to put the -10 inside the 0 if it gets chilly - I'm not for getting cold if I don't have to.

It will also be my first time under tarp and in a hammock with underblanket.

I'm childishly excited about using these items for the first time :D

Thanks once again to those of you that have offered help and tuition in setting this rig up for the fist time - much appreciated guys :You_Rock_

See you at the Moot. ;)

Phil.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Damn,

I hate to buy blind... I have a chest size 36 and I'm afraid the -10 will be too wide for me... Nobody coming to belgium any time soon? :eek: :eek:

Bjorn

Hi Bjorn,

The -10 is not quite as wide as the 0 as the -10 fits inside the 0.

I did try the 0 out for size and it is certainly spacious - nice to get inside the bag without feeling restricted. I started a thread here that had some useful advise - not sure if you've read it.

I think that the nanok bags will be perfect for most of my needs - although they are a little bulky they do appear that they will do the business.

Phil.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
I just read through the post you mentioned. Nice thread, but I still feel the bags will be to wide for my small frame.

I have a Buffalo 4S outer bag now and I like it, but the central zip is not my thing. I'm trying to sell it...

Nanok seemed nice and cheap, but they appear to wide. Schoulder width is 85 cm. I tried to lay out a piece of fabric that was 85 cm wide and I could almost roll over from side to side!!! Result: it will be cold to sleep in.

I was this close to mailing Andrew at outdoorcode with my order, but...

thanks anyway mate...

A

Alfa

@ Bjorn Victor

I don't know where you live in Belgium but check AS Adventure, Bever Zwerfsport (Merksem) or www.Globetrotter.de for Ajungilak sleeping bags. Myself I have the Tyin Winter. Quite comfy and cozy.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
The -10 is wide. I'm 5'4" and 40 " chest and I find I can get pockets of cold in it if sleeping on the floor and the temp drops below -5 as it did a month back in Dartmoor.

However I was in a tent with an inflatable matt, in a hammock with an underblanket I don't expect any problems as the hammock will force the Nanok around me - find out this weekend :D

david

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE