Slate.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The Great Philosopher from the North

- Lu-Lu.

The enlightened and ginger headed ones main body work was related however to the madness and potential dangers of advancing machinery use in the Western world.

If you wish to know more you will need to google research

The Loco - Motion
- Lu-Lu

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Photos as promised. I think there are one or two more pieces lurking around elsewhere.

s4.jpg
180 cm Length.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suspect @Stew nailed it mentioning shelves.
But, it's rather odd that they seem to be with nothing else to give a clue as to their original use.

Were there gardens around those big houses ? and might the slate have been used in the potting sheds or even an orangery, if not a dairy or larder/pantry type situation?

I'm pretty sure they aren't billiard table slates because those are carefully cut for the pockets and there's no sign of that on those.

Fun to speculate :) best of luck finding it out :cool:

M

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That looks wider than 15cm! Maybe at the far end but the near end surely wider?
The longer one in the 1st photo with the one straight edge and one a jagged edge - I think I measured it from its narrowest end.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
They mostly look a bit like they are supposed to be where you found them, doing what they are doing now; i.e. waiting around to stepped on. :)

The big bit in the first pic looks like it suffered in a demolition. Has your house had any obvious alterations in the past, like turning a pantry into a place to put the washing machine, for instance.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
They mostly look a bit like they are supposed to be where you found them, doing what they are doing now; i.e. waiting around to stepped on. :)

The big bit in the first pic looks like it suffered in a demolition. Has your house had any obvious alterations in the past, like turning a pantry into a place to put the washing machine, for instance.

Not that I can think of. It was just the half buried V2 in the compost heap that exploded but I can't imagine that did much damage at all...

:)

Yes Billy , I have stepped on them a great deal and as Steps that are functional and indeed perfect - as optimal as a step could be without being too ' flash ' in its over delivery.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Id be pretty confident in saying they’re the old flagstones from the house. They wouldn’t have thrown them far, your lucky as they’re often just concreted over. Must have had to remove some earth to get slab thickness or something. Very cool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE