Skull for ID.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Would anyone care to have a guess at what this might be?
I have got one idea in mind as to what it is.

230420121046.jpg

230420121036.jpg

230420121035.jpg

230420121034.jpg

230420121031.jpg

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
from the position of the eye orbits it looks like a swan or goose to me plus were the spine meets the scull points to a long neck.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's either a very small fox or a really big two pence piece :p...

sorry southey, i'd like to retract this comment if that's alright with you. just gone and looked at the fox skull on my bookcase and it's not much bigger than the skull in the OP at all. :eek:

note to self: must try harder on "bits of dead animal/coins of the realm" comparison skills

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's not a brock. It's apparently quite an old creature and if that were the case then there would be a defined sagittal crest.
To add a bit more, it was found beside a gravel track near to a couple of isolated farm houses.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
That's getting into the realm. We're looking at a dog. Possibly a small Spaniel or toy dog. It's probably been buried and dug up by a badger. It's happened to me when I've buried one of my animals, I only recently found a ferret skull that was dug up by one of the badgers that live at the bottom of the garden. It wasn't ID'd by me but I'll put up the full reasoning by the person that did when I get a chance tomorrow.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Unless you have unfeasibly large hands, then it's probably not a Russell - that's what made me think it was too small for adult fox, as it appears tiny compared with my Russell's skull and he's a long way from the biggest Russell I've ever seen.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
you may well be right Adam, i had figured dog but not what breed, then when Bushwacker said near an isolated farm house, i've put 2 + 2 and come up with 10-18....be interesting to see if the breed can be figured out.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Remember folks this is just the cranium ( where the brains are :D) the whole skull would be at least twice as long & much wider, you have to imagine it with eye orbits, long upper jaw (muzzle) & cheek bones...so if it is a dog, the actual breed may be larger than you think.....

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Just had a proper measure of my Russells brain basket (emphasis on the word basket, because he is one) and the measurements as close as I can approximate a match for what's available on that skull are:

width: 3 1/4 inches (83mm)
length: 3 3/4 inches (96mm)

How does that measure up?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE