Skookum Bush Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I think you are going to be pleasently surprised by Rod's sheath. I tend to favor folded pouch sheaths too, but this traditional scandi type sheath is way better than most.

I really like the braided Baldric on yours, Schwert, and greatly enjoyed your tutorial over at Outdoors Magazine, too!

Best regards,
Paul.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Go for CPM 3v,

Ive used mine for ages and it is 200% better than the other steels listed in my opinion. And its rust resistance really surprised me too. 6%chromiuim i think

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Thanks for the confidence Red, I work knife in hand, in other words If I haven't got the knife I won't make a sheath for it. One reason being I can get a far more accurate fit with the knife in hand and secondly I don't just rely on friction fit.

If I make a sheath for a frosts it's because I have one to check that the fit is secure.

If handles are standard then it is no great problem, but when you get into custom fit handles then things change, contour of the fillet and the way the firesteel loop is integrated do come into play.

I don't do fancy work, I am not that talented, but I will work so that the sheath fits tightly until it is bedded in and then you get secure lock up.

If I buy one then i'll make a sheath for it :eek:.

Red, that made my evening, thank-you, but I'm the same. It's hard to make a sheath without the knife.

Leon, you do and you are mate.

Also cracking article on steel! Made me chuckle.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Go for CPM 3v,

Ive used mine for ages and it is 200% better than the other steels listed in my opinion. And its rust resistance really surprised me too. 6%chromiuim i think

I agree, can I use it in my sales thread? Only joking. It's good, as I have learned on a boat and not as hard to sharpen as the myths had made me believe.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
The question for me now is this: is there anyone out there who knows anyone who could make a simple but functional sheath beautifully for my SBT? I'm afraid that I know of no great leather workers. Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

Hey! I got mine and really like it!! I like the neck sheath too, but in case anyone is interested my sheath I got for my Bark River Bravo 1 fits the Skookum really well. Price is listed as $30 US

Pic:

http://www.jreindustries.com/SHEATHS/BRAVO-1/BRAVO out.JPG

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I got mine recently. It's a fantastic piece of kit and, although I was worried about the sheath initially, I'm very happy with it. The blade's a superb shape and arrived unbelievably sharp - something distinctly lacking on another recent purchase. I'm a very happy bunny!:D

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I really like the braided Baldric on yours, Schwert, and greatly enjoyed your tutorial over at Outdoors Magazine, too!

Best regards,
Paul.

Thanks Paul. I recently did a 12-plait version which ends up with a wider shoulder strap portion. I took images but have not added them to the article yet.

The SBT really is a fine package...knife and sheath together just work.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
What I like about it, over some other Bushcraft type blades, is that it is thin enough so that if you slice something fairly thick it doesn't feel like you are prying it apart.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Don't forget Rod's Skookum Carver. :D This is a really wonderful knife.

carver1c.jpg

carver2c.jpg

carver3c.jpg

carver4c.jpg

Ramapo

Aug 14, 2007
NYC
Hoodoo, what sort of handle is that on your Carver? It doesn't look like the mircata handles that are on the SBT.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
My SBT family has just grown by two....

I now have two SBT derivatives. First the carver, a knife Hoodoo has already discussed above. But it is a shorter version with natural curly birch scales. This fellow is a very different animal than the standard SBT. Much lighter than the standard SBT, same size handle but a bit shorter and thinner blade. This one feels like a traditional scandi carver in my hand. It should be very nice to use on any sort of carving project.

sbtmine8002mw2.jpg

Next up is the Buttless SBT. Another SBT derivative. This one is a real gem. I thought it would be almost impossible to make a better handle than the original SBT, but this is it. The lack of butt plate changes the balance a bit and eases the corner at the heel of my hand. This is going to be even more comfortable in the hand for all the tasks (except maybe Mors beating) that the original SBT could take. This is a very nice derivative with natural tan micarta.

sbtminefront8009xh1.jpg

Some Stats on my set….

Birch Carver
184.3g total
116g knife alone

Buttless SBT
249.5g total
167g knife alone

My original SBT with baldric braid
302.7g total
189g knife alone

Ramapo

Aug 14, 2007
NYC
Schwert, what steel did you get those in?

I'm thinking to order one. Is O1 the only steel that will get a spark off a firesteel?

Also, when it comes to taking care of the balde and keeping it free of rust and stains, what sould be used to wipe it down? I need something that's non-toxic so I can use it for food prep.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Mine is in 01 and is utterly brilliant.:D You will get some sparks off the A2 but not nearly as many. In terms of keeping the blade clean and tarnish free, I clean it in warm water, dry it thoroughly and then put on a very thin layer of Ballistol Klever. It keeps the nasties off the blade well and is, I believe, not toxic - it can, after all, be used as an antiseptic for small cuts and burns, so it should be fine for food prep..

I've been so impressed with my SBT that I've managed to persuade Rod to make me another, stainless one in S30V for those more damp and salty outings. I'm hoping that it will arrive before too long!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE