Simple Wind Shelter made with 3x3m Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Nice shelter, I think I'll try a 'full tentage' version using two similar shelters that face each other.

I'm sure they Jerven works well for soldiers/hunters when they are seated, other than that I really can't see a use for them.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Tis a good night pitch and one I've used a lot since Steve showed me it.
Adding a reflective rescue blanket can help in winter too. <Snip

I used it up in the Arctic that way on my 2012 trip.

It worked very well as an extra wall on the windward side to stop snow drifting in around the sides.

Tarp_Shelter_Norway_March_2012.jpg
Tarp_Shelter_in_Snow.jpg

Not very clear pictures of it I'm afraid but the reflective sheet was attached on the left of the front flap and I set up a simple snow catcher / windbreak at the front as well.

Very effective and very cosy.

I did the same sort of thing with a couple of plastic tarps in Jokkmokk as well.

Jokkmokk_Shelter.jpg
In_Jokkmokk_Shelter.jpg

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Wayland said:
so far it seems to perform exactly as I suspected it would... Like a plastic bag.

Pretty much my experience too. It works OK when it's warm enough that you can sleep in just light clothes and you can leave the top very open. But as a pure bivvy, I think you're better off with an army goretex.

I still use mine for sitting outside - for nature spotting or just chatting - when you're awake and can regulate the ventilation. But it's not the versatile item I thought it would be.

That's a nice tarp setup - another one to add to the repertoire.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nice set up Gary. :)

Sorry to hear about your experiences with the exclusive Jervens.

I've had my Hunter version and haven't had any major problems and I've used it on week long trips to Norway in the winter and days out in the UK in all weathers.

bearbait

My Jerven bag lives in my daysack and is used when I stop for lunch etc. on day hikes, and it's great for that. Also use it as a cape when the weather is showery; it covers my pack as well. (For heavy rain I take my Rohan cag.) Not overnighted in it, although did take it plus the lightweight liner with me when day hiking last winter in the snow in the Black Mountains, in the Brecon Beacons NP, as a precautionary measure. (I'm generally a solo hiker).

Also used it as a "bathroom" when having a full body wash in order to avoid scaring the other campers on assorted campgrounds.

Tried it inside out in southern California in serious heat last year to see if the reflective surface would keep the sun off. No. Needs to have a decent airgap and airflow between me and it for that, so would need to rig it as tarp rather than bag.

Looks like I need to get me square tarp. Have numerous rectangular ones.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice set up... Tarpology is a great thing to practice, and gives you loads of choices.. thanks for showing :)

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
6uhe2ada.jpg

This is using a tatonka rectangular tarp. Somewhat lower than Wayland's.

Sorry the image is probably wrong way round but on phone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE