Simple Wind Shelter made with 3x3m Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been asked a few times at meets about the wind shelter I use when I'm sleeping on the floor so I thought I ought to post something up about it.

Wayland_Shelter-3.jpg

It's a very simple set up using a square tarp but it is slightly counter intuitive because it rigs from the sides rather than the corners.

Start by attaching the middle of two adjacent edges to a ridge line and pegging the middle of the other two edges to the ground.

For best results I add prussic loops to the ridge line to stretch the tarp to each side.

This leaves two corners that can now be pegged down to make wind breaks at each side and a triangular flap that stretches forward with a guy line to provide extra protection from rain.

Wayland_Shelter-4.jpg

I usually roll up the spare corner at the back of the shelter and guy out the centre point of the tarp as well to improve the internal space a little.

Using a 3x3m tarp this provides a cosy little shelter just about the right size for my bedding and gear but still leaves a side open to enjoy the evening air or even a small cooking fire.

If you are having trouble visualising this, take a square piece of paper and fold all the corners into the middle.

When you open two opposite corners half way, so they stand at 90 degrees to the surface of the square, you can then turn it over so that it will stand on a table and it should now be a lot clearer.

Reactions: LarryBass

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
It's the Tatonka Poly Cotton one.

I'm not sure what they call it but it's 3 metres square all but a seam allowance.

Thanks mate, I think I might get one, I've got a DD 3x3 and I would certainly prefer poly cotton. Thanks again for the article :).

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's a great simple shelter that I've used many a time since Gary showed me how to a couple years ago :)

There's also a line drawing on DD hammocks website of how to rig it. It's called the 'Adirondack Wind Shed'

Link here

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Great little set up, it's a shame my tarps are rectangular..

And what is that very lovely camouflage bivvy bag I see. Is that a Jerven?

Atb, Lewis

Yes it is a Jerven but I'm not very impressed with it at the moment.

I tried it out at the weekend and I was neither particularly warm or dry.

I've heard such good things about them but so far it seems to perform exactly as I suspected it would... Like a plastic bag.

It will probably find other uses in my kit collection but I don't think I'll be using it as a bivi bag again.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Yes it is a Jerven but I'm not very impressed with it at the moment.

I tried it out at the weekend and I was neither particularly warm or dry.

I've heard such good things about them but so far it seems to perform exactly as I suspected it would... Like a plastic bag.

It will probably find other uses in my kit collection but I don't think I'll be using it as a bivi bag again.

Do you mind if I ask how much did it set you back?

Atb

Tis a good night pitch and one I've used a lot since Steve showed me it.
Adding a reflective rescue blanket can help in winter too.

Like BT tarpology is something I need t practice. I have two or three that I use everytime I go out

I've got t say I wasn't impressed with the jerven bag when I tried one

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I could see it being useful in a pinch, for a single night or as an emergency shelter, but I can't see how you could use one for multiple nights unless you dry it out each morning.

The problem is that under good drying conditions at the weekend that took nearly two hours.

I just cannot guarantee having that much time before moving on or even having suitable drying conditions at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE