Simple Fireside Recipe Collection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
We've not had a recipie added for a while, so I'll throw another basic foil bag idea into the mix.

When out in Dusseldorf in the cummer, the Germans we were caming with did a beautifully simple foild bag of veg. Simply cut up courgette, peppers, onions, and chuck em into a bag fashioned out of tin foil. add into that some chunks of feta, splash of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Seal up the bag, throw em on the fire (a godd bed of embers) for 10-15 min, and then enjoy!

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Lay banana on its side so it looks like a partial moon, with your knife vertical cut almost all the way through following the curve from top to bottom being careful not to puncure the skin on the other side. Fill the slit with dark chocolate or kids seem to prefer mars bars, wrap in tinfoil and put on embers or barbeque until banana gets hot and chocolate melts.

Good one even for cubs and beavers as they dont even need to use a sharp/pointy knife. Just be carefull of molten chocolate :p mmmm

I did those twizzle bread sticks with my daughter and her friends, they loved it... bannock on a stick.

At its simplest Just water, self raising flour a de-barked stick and a fire. Sugar sweet, salt savory and whatever else you care to add. The sweet one's we made were like scones with some nice butter and a blob of jam.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hazelnut drop scones. 1 cup roughly chopped hazelnuts, I cup of flour, half a cup of sugar, pinch of salt. Mix together. Add a beaten egg, and enough milk to get a thickish batter consistency. Fry as scones, or heat on a hot surface. Serve with anything you like, or as they come. Good hot or cold.

If you add less milk you can get a dough which you cook like bannock in the usual ways, but I find the scones quicker and easier. I do these with a kids wildlife group every year and I can't make them fast enough to keep up with demand.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Get it right, and it is indeed awsome! A perfect lunch. Too many times though, I have seen my Explorers forget about it and it coming out the fire like a burnt cricket ball!

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Safety warning
One thing to watch out for with Egg in Tatty or in scouts we call Spudegg are the cocktail sticks, had one assistant leader bite into his without checking he had removed all the sticks to have one lodge into the top of his mouth. He eventually managed to get it out but it was almost going to be a hit and miss with a visit to A&E.

There are variants of this I have seen around including using an Onion or Orange, cooking method is exactly the same.

With bannock I use mixed peel and a hint of allspice but generally when cooking with the scouts it becomes rushed so the heat is too high and the mixture too thick (depth not consistency) in the pan.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Great thread! I'll be keeping an eye on this to gain ideas since new to the whole cooking on fires. Only thing i know to make is Pottage in a caldron.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I had some wild mushrooms, Agaricus augustus, otherwise known as The Prince (identity of said fungi confirmed by Geoff dann on here).

I took the biggest specimen and cut the cap up into squares. This I fried in some olive oil with 2 crushed garlic cloves, and a chopped up slice of torchon ham (from Aldi). Served with lots of grated cheese, and it was superb.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
slice of bread crust removed and buttered . wrap up few sliceed mushrooms finely cut . a little diced bacon a little cheese wrap it all up in the bread and squeeze it shut . pop it on a green cleaned de barked non poisionous no bugs stick . and dip in beaten egg cook slowly at the edge of your cooking fire rested on y shaped sticks and keep turning they're small so get a few going after 10mins-15mins or so there good to go . I use hand mark 5 also lol .

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
A simple but tasty one pot dish, easy to cook over the fire. Ingredients don't need refrigeration.

Ingredients (serves 2-3 hungry people).
125g Chorizo (half a ring)
200g Boczek (Polish smoked belly pork)
1 onion
2 fresh chillies or 1 tsp chilli powder
1/3 tube garlic paste
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 chicken stock cube
1 sachet of 'instant rice' I like golden vegetable flavour
200ml of water
Salt and pepper

Method
Dice or slice the chorizo, onion, chillies and boczek bung it all in your billy along with your other ingredients, except the rice sachet.
Bring to the boil over the fire or stove.
Add rice sachet.
Give it a good ol' stir
Simmer gently for 30-40mins.
Enjoy :)!

136.jpg139.jpg140.jpg150.jpg156.jpg

Jul 30, 2013
Neath, South Wales
I always find Cous cous a solid staple :) Can be done sweet or savoury :) Sweet i just tend to add a tablespoon of honey into about 1/3 - 1/2 a cup of water, bring it to the boil and just add it to the cous cous, leave it about 5 - 10 minutes and then fluff it with a fork, to this you can add numerous other tasty things, sultanas, raisins, numerous types of nuts (i prefer almonds and walnuts), almost any form of dried fruit.

For savoury, same thing add a stock cube of any sort instead of honey and fry a few veggies with some meat before adding to the cous cous.

The possibilities are endless! :D

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
A simple but tasty one pot dish, easy to cook over the fire. Ingredients don't need refrigeration.

Ingredients (serves 2-3 hungry people).
125g Chorizo (half a ring)
200g Boczek (Polish smoked belly pork)
1 onion
2 fresh chillies or 1 tsp chilli powder
1/3 tube garlic paste
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 chicken stock cube
1 sachet of 'instant rice' I like golden vegetable flavour
200ml of water
Salt and pepper

Method
Dice or slice the chorizo, onion, chillies and boczek bung it all in your billy along with your other ingredients, except the rice sachet.
Bring to the boil over the fire or stove.
Add rice sachet.
Give it a good ol' stir
Simmer gently for 30-40mins.
Enjoy :)!

View attachment 20104View attachment 20105View attachment 20106View attachment 20107View attachment 20108

This ones coming to scotland with me next week matey! looks ace!

Sep 6, 2013
Hove
I'm salivating just reading some of these recipes! Am definitely gonna try experimenting cooking in foil parcels and the poor mans Christmas pudding sounds tasty! Will be keeping am eye on this thread me thinks!:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE