Simple Bushcraft Chair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheBrook

Sep 3, 2014
West Midlands
www.youtube.com
Happy New Year to you all,

With the festive season and the decrease in temperature, I've not been able to get out much, but I have still managed to make you all a video.

With just three lengths of cordage of any sort you can make yourself a bushcraft chair in a matter of minutes and keep it in your favourite location.

If it gets damaged or goes missing you only lose the cordage. If you use natural cordage then it really won't cost you anything but time to make:

[video=youtube_share;qC__5ujPJSA]http://youtu.be/qC__5ujPJSA[/video]

As usual, would love any feedback and any great tips you all might have.

Have a great weekend,

Brook

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I like the idea of using it as a toilet seat, my arthritic knees don't like squatting any more.

I found the presentation a bit slow and skipped the repeated film of how to lash things together, other than that it was clear and well presented.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Can I have those 12.25 minutes of my life back please, you are a nice guy and you put a lot of effort into making a rather nice and detailed production, but it needs to be something worthwhile that we actually need.

Sorry if it sounds unkind, but I would not have given all that time and cordage to sit on a branch, and no, it would not be comfortable at all after more than a few minutes.

I will watch your next production, hope you find an idea that is innovative because I think you could present it rather well.

Regretfully yours,
rorymax

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I jumped about a bit to save time watching the basics. It would make a good Youtuber but I reckon most on here would know the timber hitch.
I really hadn't thought of doing it for a loo seat though. goodjob
Riddled with arthritis, its one of the few things I cant do it the woods. Could now with this as I said, goodjob

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Take into consideration your audience. Most of us here know the knots you're using, what would be a good idea is to have a separate video for knots, another for lashing, and then another for the construction. That way those who know the knots and lashing can skip to the construction without too much fuss.

For an emergency I'd not use it frankly. I'd spend my time building some much more sturdy and that doesn't need to be balanced on a tree. A lean too for example.

The most I'd use this a frame however for hanging pots over a fire perhaps when using 2 in conjunction with each other and a beam over the top.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A very detailed (over-detailed?) production with some clear photography - for that well done.
Personally I do not like videos as much as step by step still photos that you can look at, print off for field use, look at in any order to clarify in your mind each step, and take at your own pace.
The chair was not really worthy of all the effort of stills or video though (IMHO).
For the cost of one more lashing you could make a comfortable chair like this (two tripod lashings - top and back: two square lashings - front seat supports. the seat can be loose laid or for more permanent builds "sewn" into place. Fabric could replace the pole seat if you have a sensitive bum)
004 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
Equally usable as a toilet seat gear, suspension or cooking frame...

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think it's a good little project to have a go at improvising a chair much better than sitting on the ground or a wet log.

Here's my version:

IMG_1080.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE