Simple angle grinder projects??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
(Ok........... I realise this is a solution in search of a problem, but I have raised it in the 'other chatter' thread, so treat me gently ......:))

I've never been much cop at working with metal, and have never really built up a toolkit, being limited to hacksaw, drill bits and files (although I did buy one of those pyramid type drill bits from ALDI for drilling holes in thin metal - never used it though)

Anyway ....... some time ago I mentioned to my daughter that I wanted to do some metal work (can't remember what now) that would be so much easier if I had an angle grinder, rather than just hacksaws.

A little birdy tells me that she is getting me a budget/low priced angle grinder as a present, so I am looking for simple, low cost projects to help me learn how to use it.

?any ideas?

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Could use it to cut up some tin cans, I mean the big commercial sized ones that restaurants use and make yourself a gypsy stove at least all the raw material is free

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Depends,what sort of things are you into? I use angle grinders an awful lot and am quite good with one (if I say so myself). I mostly use them to either cut straight lines or for grinding steel, normally with the aim of creating a blade or other steel tool. Once you learn how the thing cuts you can basically carve with it.

If you like wood then you could go sculptural; things like owls and other proper sculptures, bench tops, bowls/troughs, etc. You can get something called an Arbortec that is like chainsaw teeth on a disc and is usedfor caerving wood. These come in different sizes and and configurations to allow some pretty cool carving. Then a nice new flapdisc or backed sanding discs can be used to smooth and small amounts of stock removal.

Whether its metal or wood, the grinder will cut differently depending on the angle that you hold and move it. A steep angle (ie if the material is in a vice, you are raised steeply above it cutting on the outer rim of the disc) will cut more deeply and aggressively than a shallow angle. A shallow angle will smooth out undulations that the steep angle will leave. By positioning the disc across the workpiece so that you are using almost the diameter rather than the outer circumference, then it will even out even more. Pushing the grinder into the work (ie moving forwards away from yourself), it will cut more aggresively than if you draw it towards yourself.

There are loads of things that I could show you about how to get the most out of the grinder, but its hard to describe!

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I believe it is called a step drill, the idea being to drill a small pilot hole then gradually increase it. My advice would probably be too use a fast speed on the smaller hole then reduce the speed as you step up too bigger ones thus maintain an even cutting speed as the diameter increased

For your angle grinder it may be well worth having a set of grinding disks and a set of cutting discs. Safety glasses are not optional!!! they're are also a good tool for setting fire to carpets etc due to the shower of hot sparks that spray off them so watch out

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
saftey, good point! Firstly, goggles are not just optional as mentioned, but get allround googles that seal onto your face, not just spec type ones. I used to wear good spec types and had a chunk of metal removed in A&E after a piece bounced off a wall and in over the top! Secondly do not remove the guard that is on the grinder, it really does stop stuff flying at you (not just sparks but bits of broken disc!). Thirdly, when you put it down always put the grinder disc side up and not the other way, if the disc is moving then the grinder will skid and cut something (like you!). Fourthly watch where the sparks are going, its interesting how far those red hot sparks go!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for all the safety advice - it was needed! And for the 'project' suggestions.

I hadn't thought about using it for wood - I had thought they were solely for metal.

I'm a bit of a frustrated artist and so creating something nice to look at would be good, as well as being able to make something useful out of scrap/cheap materials

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So you have a vice mate? The one thing I think you need to go with a grinder is a vice - you don't want to be holding the workpiece with one hand (eek)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was sure you would have but......

I am not going to comment on a tool based thread where the incomparable Mr Budd has given his thoughts other than to interject one thing....get some of those very thin cutting discs....brilliant things and cheap....turns a 4 1/2" grinder into a super fast powered hacksaw....brilliant invention IMO

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I hacked up an old PC recently to make a tent stove, saved myself a fair few bob and learnt some stuff in the process. Just basic cutting and a bit of grinding of rough edges before filing.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
yep thin discs are the only type of cutting discs I use :) BUT make sure you don't try and turn a corner! Be very careful to stay in a straight line or the explode! And as Red mentioned another safety tip, don't hold the bject in one hand and the grinder in the other. It is one of those things that you will see some regular users doing and believe me when we do, we have the scars to prove why you shouldn't do it :rolleyes:

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Just to Add on what others have said safety wise , If you go with either glasses or goggles, Try and make sure that they are rated High Impact, Also don't forget either earplugs or ear defenders, Over a prolonged period of time the noise can literally deafen you.

Safe working

Lucan

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good point - I had to drill some steel today....didn't think I'd bother with ear muffs

Skweeeeeeeeee

Ouch - should have!

Also a decent facemask when grinding off random crud.....or at least don't look in your hanky if you don't wear one....or what you cough up! Those nose and mouth ones with two filters can be had for cheap money

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
+1 for the very thin cutting discs.

This is a useful accessory too...

03.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE